Sons of Gotham

Falling from grace, what's the difference

Dick Grayson

After Jason leaves, I head back to Annie’s office instead of following him. I know better than anyone to not bother Jason when he’s in this type of mood; it doesn’t end well. Nothing good comes out of confronting a pissed off Jason Todd.

I get back to Annie’s office and see her with her nose in some file; most likely another cold case. I have no idea why we aren’t using her for more than just solving cold cases; she could so much good for this city. I knock on her the door frame, causing the brunette to look up at me and smile.

“Hey Grayson, came to grace me with your presence as well?” She asks before returning her attention to the file in front of her.

“It sucks that Gordon can’t see what he has in front of him.” I tell her, earning her attention once more. “He has a former FBI agent working on cold cases. You should be out there solving crimes as they’re happening; not crimes from twenty or so years ago.”

“Beggars can’t be choosers.” She shrugs. “I thought I was hired on to do more work than just piecing together puzzle pieces that are supposed to connect Joker to various crimes but look where I’m at now.”

“Become a detective then.” I tell her as I walk into her office and take a seat in front of her. “Use your skills as an FBI agent. You’re more than just a desk job.”

“I’ll get even more dirty looks if I do that.” I point. “People don’t like me here, imagine how they’ll act and treat me if I become one of them.”

“Fuck them.” I tell her, earning a shocked look from her. “Want to know what my meeting was about?”

“Sure.”

“Gordon is promoting me to become a detective and I’ll need a partner.”

“And that’s where I come in?”

“I did my research on you, Annie.” I inform her. “You’ve got an impressive resume. I have no idea why you’re so comfortable behind a desk. So become my partner and see some action or stay behind a desk and rot?”

“These are my two options?” She smirks at me. “What do I have to sign, partner?”

Annie Novak

“You agreed to what now?” Patrick asks over the phone. “You agreed to be his partner? You’re becoming a detective? What happened to being their criminal profiler?”

“They are giving me nothing but cold cases that tie to this psycho fucking clown.” I tell him. “Dick’s right, I’m more than just cold cases. I deserve to see action as it happens and not through a 20 year old file.”

“I don’t like this guy.” He mutters. “He’s putting my baby sister in danger. Mom and dad would have flipped if they found out.”

“But it’s alright for Mike to be a detective?” I snip. “That is the single most sexist thing you’ve ever spewed. Mom and dad would have been proud. Their deaths are the second reason why I said yes. Their deaths inspired all their children to get into law enforcement; they’d be so proud of all of us.”

“But you’re the baby!” He exclaims. “You’re not supposed to run after danger, we’re supposed to protect you from this world. You’re supposed to be the innocent one; the girl that looks at life through rose colored glasses.”

“We both know I could never be that girl.” I tell him. “I was there that night too, remember? We held hands as mom and dad got slaughtered by that drive by shooter. I may have been ten but we knew that I’ll never be the same again.”

“There is no talking you out of this, is there?” Patrick sighs in defeat. “Please be safe? I don’t want to be at your funeral next, okay?”

“I promise, I’ll be fine.” I promise. “I need to do this. I need to show the people of Gotham City, not everyone in the police station is corrupt. I need to make a difference.”

“And you will,” I can envision the smile growing on his lips. “You’ve always strived to make this world a better place. So why not start with Gotham City?”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?

I know, I suck at updating.