Status: Active

It's Been Years

5/?

34 - 12

It was Michael's first day of high school. We bought school supplies, a new bag, new clothes and he even had a new hairstyle. It had been a slow morning. Jack and I woke up at 6AM but stayed in bed until Michael got up because we were dead tired for some reason. So when Michael realised that we weren't up, he ran into our room and opened the door without knocking first.

"Come on, Jack! Alex! I don't want to be late!" He shouted and ran downstairs for breakfast. Jack groaned and turned on his side to face me.

"Why" Was the only thing he mumbled into the pillow, eyes closed and hair covering them.

"Work at 11, babe. Gotta get up" I slapped his butt and got up myself, walking down to the kitchen where Michael was making toast with peanut butter and jam. He gave me a sceptical look and returned to his toast.

"What?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"I don't want to be late on my first day of school" He said.

"You won't be, trust me. We've still got an hour to get there" I said calmly and went to grab some coffee.

"Everything will go well, right?" He asked unsure of himself. I frowned and looked at him.

"Yeah, why did you ask that? Is everything okay?" I walked towards him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"No, no, everything's fine. I'm just confused about my classes and how things work there" He said and he took a bite of his toast. Jack walked into the kitchen and grabbed some coffee as he heard us talk.

"Well, everything will be confusing for a bit until you figure out how it goes. Everyone's on your boat, so don't worry about it. You've got George, Ezra and Jake by your side too. Everything will be fine" I said and he nodded.

"Plus you can always call us or talk to your teachers if you're a little lost" Jack added in and pecked my cheek as in saying good morning.

"Okay, thanks. I'm going to get dressed" He said and took off the stairs.

"Get dressed for the girls, too!" Jack shouted and Michael rolled his eyes.

-

Michael's day went well after all. He met his friends, who were as confused as him, and went to class with them. He was worrying over nothing.

Jack and I went to work and went to pick up Michael when he was done hanging out with his friends after school.

"How was it then?" Jack asked looking back at Michael as I drove home.

"It was good, actually. I met a few new people and the teachers were okay. I have a list of books I need to buy" He said as he looked through the window.

"We can get them tomorrow when we go pick you up if you want" Jack said. We chatted a little more before we got home. I parked the car in the garage as Jack and Michael walked up home. When I walked into the kitchen, Jack and Michael were seated at the island table and were looking at me expectantly. Jack motioned for me to sit down, so I did, and frowned because I didn't know what was going on. I feared for the worst.

"I.. I don't want to make a huge deal out of this" Michael started as soon as I sat down. "But uh- I think I want to start calling you dads" He said shyly and looked down. "If that's okay with you" He finished. My eyes watered instantly at his words, and so did Jack's, but we couldn't let ourselves cry in such an emotional situation. We wanted to look vulnerable and proud of his decision.

"That's the best thing you could've told us" I said and got up to hug him. Jack did so too and we had a little group hug. Jack smiled down at me and we kissed.

"Can I go up to my room now? I need to talk to a friend about maths' homework" He asked as he loosened his grip on us.

"Sure" Jack said kissing the top of his head.

"Hey Mike, thank you" I said stopping him for a second. He smiled and ran up to his room.

"Can you believe that?" I asked Jack once Michael was no longer in the room. He turned to me, a bright smile on his face.

"Yeah, we've made it" He said hugging me.