Status: Active

It's Been Years

6/?

35 - 15

We knew something was up with Mike as soon as he got home covered in nasty bruises. We hoped for the best, we thought he might have fallen down the stairs or something of the sorts, but deep down, Jack and I both knew what really went down on that Friday.

"Hey" He said timidly, avoiding eye contact at all cost. He knew how we were, we had a short temper in some situations, and this was one of them. He feared us and our reaction to his coloured skin, but it was inevitable, he needed to speak up.

"Well? What happened?" I asked standing in the middle of the kitchen with my hands locked on my hips.

"Just some kids-" He started but I cut him off.

"Names and last names" I said firmly.

"Dad, look, if I report them, the'll pick on me even more okay? Just leave it alone" He said frowning and started to walk away.

"Mike" He turned around at the call of his name. "If this happens again, I'll do everything that's in my hands to stop it even if it means going to court, understand?" He only nodded and went up to his room.

Jack got home half an hour later, it was 8PM and I was making dinner. Rice, potatoes, carrots and a lentil curry. He soundly sniffed the flavours when he walked into the kitchen and he wrapped his arms around my torso.

"Ah, I'm so lucky. Your cooking abilities are such a turn on" He whispered. I rolled my eyes and shook my lower half to push him away.

"I think you should talk to Mike" I said and turned around to look at him. I gave him a concerned look and he cocked his head to the side.

"Don't get me all worried over nothing like you always do" He said and pulled away from me.

"Just talk to him. Dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes"

"Alright, I'll be back in a second" I heard his footsteps as he went upstairs and Mike's bedroom door open and close. I couldn't hear anything they were saying, but I only wished Jack would be as protective as me. I knew he was.

After those fifteen minutes passed and the potatoes were ready, I called them to come down to eat. The walked down side by side, Jack's arm around Mike's shoulders and I could see he was visibly trying to soothe him.

"Everything okay?" I asked as the three of us sat down to eat.

"Yeah, I'm not hungry though, I had crisps with Leo and Chris like an hour ago" Mike said and played with the food on his plate.

"Alright but try to eat a little" Jack said and started devouring the dish. The poor man hadn't had anything to eat since lunch.

-

Jack and I were laying in bed, our fingers interlocked and both of us looking up at the ceiling. I couldn't tell what he was thinking about, but I didn't need to wonder about it too much because he was soon speaking his mind away.

"What do you think of having another baby?" He asked out of the blue. I was kind of shocked at first because the idea of having another kid hadn't once crossed my mind. But then again, the thought of it made my heard sink in and knowing the man I adored wanted to have another kid with me was something I could never put into words.

"A newborn or toddler?" I asked, without really answering the question. He smiled in return and turned on his side to face me.

"I really don't mind" He said with a sheepishly smile.

"Let's go for it" I encouraged both of us, even myself.

"Do you really think it's a good idea?" He asked, suddenly unsure of himself. "I mean, we don't have a lot of money and this house isn't that-" I cut his ramble off by pecking his lips.

"We are successful in our jobs and we can always ask for a raise. This house is fine, we don't use the guest room so that could be the baby's room" I said and rubbed his side.

"Alright" He gave in.

-

After a few weeks after Jack and I decided to have another baby in the house, I woke up with a strong feeling in my gut on a Thursday morning. I extended my arm to hold onto Jack but the other side of the bed was empty. He was very punctual to work but he had the day off and could've slept in.

I started walking to the kitchen when I heard whimpering from the main bathroom. I peeked my head in the bathroom and saw Jack holding the toilet.

"Babe? What's wrong?" I asked, feeling sorry for my sick husband.

"My stomach and head are killing me" He said, his voice hoarse.

"I'll make you some tea and something light for breakfast. Come down when you feel a little better"

I kissed the top of his head and walked into the kitchen where Mike was standing by the kitchen island.

"What's up with dad? I heard him throwing up" He frowned and went to the fridge to get some orange juice.

"Just a stomach and headache, it'll pass once he's rested a little" He nodded and carried on with his breakfast.

"Want me to call Jen and tell her to drive me?" He suggested.

"Yeah, that's very thoughtful of you. Thank you buddy" He ran upstairs and into his room to get ready.

"Jack?" I called waiting for a response.

"Coming" He whispered, barely audible.

He appeared at the door with his gown and fluffy slippers on, his hair was all ruffled up and he looked more miserable than ever.

"Oh, Jack" I said and went to hug him, to which he extended his arms and pushed me away with all the strenght in his body, which was by far, very little.

"I don't want you to catch whatever this is" He said and flopped down on the sofa, exaggerating what seemed like a huge yawn and whine at the same time.

"I don't care, come here" I slowly walked towards him and hugged him torso. He squished me and let out a dramatic scream of pain.

"Sorry" He said and pulled away.

"It's okay, I was kidding" I said. "Do you feel any better now?"

"Not really. I might need to get this checked" He said, sounding very nasal.

"Okay, we'll go to the doctors tomorrow if you don't get any better"

-

"Dad, Pa, I'm home! I invited Jen over" Mike and Jen walked to the kitchen hand in hand. I awed at their linked fingers and asked if they were together. Mike nodded and the petite girl blushed. It was the day after we went to the doctors to get Jack checked out. The doctor said he needed to take a blood test, so we'd have to wait until Friday to get the results.

The day of the results came, and we had to drive to the hospital in the afternoon because both of us had work in the morning. Mike wanted to come with us as well so the situation was a win-win although we were eager to find out what was up with our poor love. He had been throwing up and feeling like utter crap for a whole week and we wanted it to be over because I hated seeing Jack look so miserable all the time.

"So, Mr. Gaskarth and Mr. Barakat, come in. You buddy need to stay here until I talk to your parents" Mike gave him a death glare when the doctor turned away and I chuckled at him.

"Good afternoon" Jack said politely, although he sounded like he was about to die, when we sat down across from the doctor.

"Might as well not be a good afternoon for you two. I'm afraid I've got some bad news" I think everyone in the hospital could hear my heart dropping and shattering into tiny little pieces.

-

"Well, what did the doctor say then?" Mike beamed the second we got out of the room. Both Jack and I had blank expressions on our faces, and the doctor was giving Mike an apologetic smile.

"Dad?" He asked again, now worrying because we wouldn't answer him.

"We'll tell you when we get home" I said as I pushed him towards the exit.

"Tell me now? Is it bad?" He insisted.

"Once we get home" I repeated, getting annoyed at his insistence.

"But-" He started, but I cut him off. I just burst.

"MIKE DON'T MAKE ME PUT ON A SCENE AT THE FUCKING HOSPITAL" I shouted at him. Everyone around us looked at us and we walked out quickly. I knew he didn't feel too offended or bad about it because me getting so frustrated over it meant that something was wrong with his dad. Neither Jack or I said anything on the whole ride home but I could hear Mike sighing from the back seat. The most painful thing at that moment was that Jack refused to let my hand slip in his every time I tried to.

As soon as we got home, Mike sat at the kitchen table and told us to "spill" whatever we had been keeping from him. Jack refused to even look at us, he was looking at the floor and it seemed like he wasn't even in the same room as my son and I. I sighed and talked in Jack's behave.

"Your dad has cancer" I said and bit my lips to stop myself from break down in front of them.

"No" Mike said frowning. Jack looked up then, and was about to start talking when Mike got up. "No! This isn't fair! This can't be happening!" He threw his arms in the air and swore, and swore, and swore. We'd tell him to watch his language, but it was a reasonable reason he was swearing at. I bit my tongue to stop myself from swearing at the world, at God, at everyone that had to do with the malicious disease. Jack got up and went to our room quietly.

"No, it's not fair. We didn't wish for this, but it's happening and it's real" I told him as the realness of it all sunk in. Mike was quieter than ever, and that scared me.

"Look Mike. We're going to do anything that's in our hands to help your dad get better. We're going to go through treatment and everything will be okay eventually, okay?" He just nodded.

"You need to be strong for him. If he sees you down and defeated, he might give up too and we can't let that happen okay?" I hugged my son and let him cry on my shoulder for what seemed like eternity.

-

My husband was still throwing his fit after Mike had left to see his girlfriend. He was locked in our room and wouldn't let me in.

"Please open the door" I pleaded knocking again.

When he finally let me in, I sat on my side of the bed and rubbed his back. He was whimpering, trying not to let me hear him cry.

I crawled in bed and cuddled him from behind. He tried to push me away elbowing me slightly but I only held him closer. "I'll make you sick too" He whispered, and I chuckled holding back the tears that were threatening to fall down my cheeks.

"It's not contagious, silly" I said pecking the back of his neck.

"Still. You won't get near me willingly once I start treatment and I get bad" He said, which broke my heart.

"Don't be dumb. I'll still love every inch of you no matter what you look like. You'll still look hot as hell when you go on through treatment" I encouraged him.

He finally turned around to face me and I could tell he'd been crying. His eyes were swollen and his face was red.

"Babe" I said quietly, feeling sorry for him. He embraced me in a hug and soaked my shirt with his tears.

We suffered together. We'd promised to go through everything together when we got married and this was no exception. I could feel his breathing slow down, and he was soon asleep. I held him tighter and I eventually fell asleep too.

Mike woke us up a few hours later. He lightly knocked on our door and walked in to ask if we were awake. I sleepily hummed and he said he was going to make some dinner for us. I hummed again and he closed the door behind him.

Jack opened his eyes. He looked exhausted.

"You'll be alright" I whispered and kissed him.

"I know" He sent me a genuine smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
How are you guys liking this story so far?