Status: Active

It's Been Years

7/?

36 - 16

The second time I had ever shouted at Mike came on a Saturday night -a Sunday morning even- at exactly 6:38AM when my son walked inside the house. 

I was waiting for him to get home by the kitchen door and he tried to tiptoe his way up the stairs holding someone's hand. He was supposed to be home by 2AM as we had established since one of his best friends was throwing a birthday party at his house. 

"Where do you think you're going?" I asked calmly. He jumped when he heard my voice and loosened his grip on the other person. 

"Dad, sheeeeit! I didn't see you there. Want breakfast?" He sounded funny but I tried my best not to laugh. I was supposed to be mad at him, and that was it. I turned the lights on and they both squinted at the sudden brightness. I could now see the other person's face - it was Chris, and he looked as shit faced as my son. 

"Of course you're drunk" I stated. I locked my eyes with his. They were bloodshot and dark circles surrounded his chocolate coloured eyes. 

"Did you smoke too?" He physically told me to chill and shook his head. 

"I'll talk to you two tomorrow. You're in trouble. Go to bed right now" I said pointing at the two of them. 

"Fuck. I didn't do anything!" He said and threw his arms in the air, laughing his ass off. 

I looked at him in disgust and told him to go to his room once again. I'd take Chris home but I knew his parents wouldn't be happy with the state his son was in at the moment. 

"Fuck" I whispered to myself and walked upstairs into Jack and I's room. My husband was awake and he raised an eyebrow. 

"Is he drunk?" Jack's sore voice echoed through the dark room. 

"Yeah, and I doubt alcohol is the only drug he's had tonight" I got in bed and laid on my side. Sighing, Jack spoke up quietly. 

"He needs to stop going out every single weekend" He whispered and hugged me. 

"It's okay as long as he comes home before 3AM" I said and hugged him back. "I can't lose sleep over him by staying up until he comes home and I know he's sleeping safely in his bed. This isn't what we had planned at all" I caressed his hairless head and kissed his forehead. 

"We didn't plan any of this" He whispered talking about what he was going through. 

"You're doing so well" I reminded him. He'd never agree with me, complaining about feeling worse or not improving, but I knew he was getting better. Tests never lie. 

"I love you" I confessed like I did every other night before going to sleep. 

"Love you too" He mumbled against my shoulder. I groaned and pushed him slightly. "Sorry. I love you too" He corrected himself and I smiled proudly. 

-

I woke up at 10PM the next morning regardless of how little I had slept. Jack had been up for a while already. He was once again emptying his stomach while I made breakfast for everyone. 

I should have been more strict with my son and his rebellious behaviour but knowing him like I did, I knew he wouldn't bother making anything for himself if there wasn't a plate on his side of the table placed for him. He hated having proper meals so he'd rather snack all day long, but I knew how unhealthy that habit was, so feeding him proper meals was in my hands. 

I turned the TV on once I was done with breakfast and Jack came down to join me soon after. 

"Hey" He said and grabbed some water from the fridge. 

"Morning babe. Want some breakfast? It's on the table" He shook his head and flopped on the couch next to me. 

"I'm going to throw up if I look at it. Sorry baby. I know it's delicious but I can't help but to feel sick" He said pouting and I laughed. He curled himself up in a ball and laid his head on my lap. I played with his hair and I felt him physically relax against my touch. 

He didn't only lose his hair along the treatment, he lost his appetite, hair, livingness and most important, happiness. 

Mike and Chris walked down soon after, and sat down at the table to have breakfast. 

"You have Advil in your water" I shouted and Jack chuckled. "Come here when you're done".

-

They walked into the living room holding their heads in their hands to hide their hangover. 

"Can you tell me what the hell happened last night? You were supposed to come home by 2AM and you got in at 6:30AM" I asked as calmly as I could. 

"We got drunk and lost track of time" Mike answered. 

"What else?" Jack asked. The boys looked at each other and then at us. They didn't dare say a word. "Want me to call your parents and tell them about it?" Jack imposed. Mike and I both were surprised at how well he was holding himself up and actually draining the little energy he had on being mad the the teens. 

"I don't know what was that we took" Mike confessed. 

"You don't know?!" I yelled at him. He looked down, obviously ashamed of his actions. 

"You - you! I don't even know what to say! Are you fucking stupid? You could have taken something toxic" 

"Well, I didn't, okay?" He tried to talk back. 

"How do you know that for sure? How is any of this okay?"

"I'm sorry, I won't do it again" Mike ducked his head down. I looked over at Jack, he was looking rather chill. 

"Of course you won't. You're grounded until you turn 20" I said. Jack only nodded, silently agreeing with my decision, which was just an exaggeration. We told them to get off our faces and they quickly left the room. 

"Well done babe. I'm going back to bed" He said kissing the top of my head. I sighed and grabbed my husband's medication to bring it up to him.