Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 105: Wasn't Fully Desensitized

The transaction to becoming a patient in Silence Fall’s Psychiatric Hospital didn't start out as comfortable as anyone would have liked. In fact, it was rather invasive. The group was divided into two, females and males. Afterwards, they were stripped completely naked by the nurses despite their unwillingness and skirmish. Security had to be in attendance to keep them restraint from hindering the nurses from carrying out this task. Once they were disrobed, they were photographed from every embarrassing angle and crevice you could think of on a human body before being propelled into a cold washroom where they were hosed down with heavy water pressure. Not bothering to dry them with towels, the kids were garbed in a loose cotton gown that looked similar to a hospital gown then ushered into separate rooms for further interrogation. The nurse that questioned them asked for distinct information such as their names, date of birth, weight, height, eye color, race, and what medications they were taking previously when they were contained in the subterranean Medical Facility. Any of the patient’s inquiries into anything other than the nurse’s questions were either met with threatening smacks from the guards in watch, or warnings from the nurse to cease their sidetracking. Promptly, the patients submitted by remaining silent on their own queries and answering the nurse’s questions instead. When the interrogation was completed, the next step was set into motion, and became the most heart wrenching crisis since their arrest. The kids were to permanently remain into their gender faction and sentenced to their separate wards. The girls shrieked, scratched and kicked at the security guards, but were easily detained and hauled away. The boys tried swinging at the men muscling them, cursed and shoved with all their might, but were wrestled to the floor before being dragged to the opposite ward. This division was meant to be forever and they all mourned over it to their core.
__________________________________________________________________________________
The Psychiatric Hospital housed 232 patients, the youngest being six year olds and their oldest being a 97 years old grandmother. Each patient was roomed with three other roommates and their own personal attentive orderly. Bert, Bam, Cris, and Connor’s orderly was an older gentleman in his late twenties with pale white skin and wavy black hair that fell past his ears. He went by the name of Jack White according to the name tag stitched on his crisp white uniform.

Jack White has been employed at the Hospital for five years already and still wasn’t fully desensitized to the brutal treatments done to the patients, the scarcity of care for the frail and ailing, and the mishandling of their medication, but he had mastered veiling his dislike in order to keep his job. His face was devoid of emotions like all the staff when he met up with his four new patients. He inspected each of them at a time, starting with their name tags. The Connor one was the tallest and most fit of them with green menacing eyes and long dark inky black hair. Jack felt he would prove the most difficult to physically restrain if he were to fly into a rampage. Next to him, trembling, was a slender fragile Cris with blue eyes and just as long brown hair. Beside him was a taller glaring Brandon with ice blue eyes. He looked like he was holding back a lot of anger that was taking every fiber of him to retain. The last one, Bert, was an inch shorter than the hothead, and had long brown that went past his shoulders, and desolate blue eyes that seemed to bore right into his. He would be the most unpredictable.

“Good morning. My name is Jack White and I will be your orderly for the remainder of your stay.” Jack introduced himself quite blandly. Lowering his eyes to the printed sheet on his clipboard, he coolly briefed them on their daily schedule while the nurses handed out a small white plastic bin with their coordinated essentials. “In your room, you’ll have a daily schedule hung up on the wall to follow. Let’s go over them now, shall we? At 7AM you will get up out of bed. By 7:30 you will have taken your pill and headed into breakfast at 8. From 9 - 10 you will head into one the room with a circle of chairs, that’s where your Therapy Session will take place. At 11 you can have TV time in the recreational room, but you will not be permitted to touch the TV dials or ask for the remote. Only staff members are allowed to change the channels. Lunch is at 12PM, and from 1 - 3 is your creative time. You can read, color, paint or whatever you want to do just so long as you remain in the craft room. From 3 - 5 the board games can be brought out, but only if the staff retrieves them for you. You are not allowed to ask them to and they are not responsible for missing components. Dinner is at 5, and you will shower at 6 before taking your last pill at 6:30. By 7 you should be sent to your rooms and be asleep by 8. We do have staff patrolling the floor that will enter your room every hour to be sure you’re asleep. If you are not, we have ways of making you so.”

Lifting his eyes from the sheet Jack memorized by heart, he sighed. “I wish you the best of luck during your stay in our Psychiatric Hospital and hope that you will behave for your best interests. Now, let me show you to your rooms.” The four kids reluctantly followed their orderly to their white concrete rooms with two metal bunk beds with thin crisp white sheets. “I’ll leave you to acclimate to your new home.” Jack told them with a tight smile and nod before attempting to exit their room so he could return back to the nurse station he met them at and fetch the list of their new medications and past prescriptions.

“Wait, Mr. White!” Bam hailed after him so daringly and in the meekest tone he could manage. He stepped out of his room, the complete monochromatic décor of this hospital and it’s shambling zombies of patients roaming about was beginning to terrify him more than the Medical Facility ever had.

Jack turned around to see the boy that called himself Bam clinging to the wall right outside his room. He found himself sighing again. “Mr. Margera, you need to go back into your room. Now!”

Bam stepped closer to him before whispering. “I will, I just...do you know if anyone brought in another kid here that was found by the mall too? His name was Hermanni. Does it ring any bells?”

Jack frowned before obliging him by scanning the list of patients within the male ward. In the end, he shook his head. “No, I’m sorry, Mr. Margera. There doesn’t seem to be any patient residing here with that name. Now, I won’t repeat myself again. Go back into your room before I have to call security.”

Bam yielded to his command, and retreated back towards the room, but not after looking over his shoulder to watch Jack stroll down the hall and back into the nurse’s small private office. Letting out an embittered sigh, Bam stepped back into the room and shut the door behind him. He plopped himself next to Connor on their bunk bed while Bert and Cris sat opposite on theirs in mutual silence.

“I have a bad feeling about this place, you guys.” Connor mumbled, staring down at his hands.

“Me too, and the whole fact that I’ve never heard of this place makes it even more terrifying.” Cris whined, rubbing his arms to ward off the chill from simply sitting in this room.

“They must have been hiding this place all along.” Bert said to himself as he gazed at their super tiny window with the jail bars on both sides of the glass. “There’s no other explanation…”

Bam groaned from hearing him say that. “Fuck, you really don’t know anything about this place then, do you?”

“I don’t. I haven’t ever heard of it which means they must have deliberately kept it hidden in the swamps. The stonework is too old to be from a few years back. This had to have been here before I was even born.” Bert pieced together, his fists clenching from the memories of the people he once shared a life and religion with. They were all he had ever known one upon a time, and they had betrayed him more than they could ever know. They had withheld even more innocent people in these swamps.

“Okay, so we all agree that this clearly isn’t going to be like the medical facility.” Cris stated. “What, then, should we expect from this place?”

Connor scratched the back of his neck. “We should expect worse than before. We escaped a facility and got captured. Why would they want to take us somewhere less mortifying than before?”

A grim look past everyone’s face as they unitedly believed that Connor was right. From here on out, things were about to get more deadly, and having each other’s back was the only option they had.

“I vote we stick together, no matter what we feel towards each other. Differences have to be put aside until we know what we’re dealing with here.” Bam declared, rising to cross his arms over his chest. The others listened, becoming dumbstruck when they realized he was being dead serious, but then also seeing that it was because he too, was just as afraid as they. One by one they each nodded together in solidarity, vowing that no matter what they would stick together.