Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 110: Unfamiliar Territory

The very next morning the male ward and the female ward were awakened from their bunks at 7AM sharp and coerced to start their scheduled day.

On the male wards, Bam and the others were commanded to fix their beds before standing outside their room with their backs against the wall to be administered their daily dose of medication. Back in the Medical Facility the pills were very few and very miniscule, but the pills that were distributed in the Psychiatric Hospital were gobs of horse pills of various shapes and colors. Not one of them had any idea of what corruption these pills could do to their bodies if ingested, but neither did they have a choice after an alert Orderly nearby threatened to thrash them if they didn't hurry up and swallow their medicine. They submitted to his demand, perspiring in fear as to what the drugs would do to them when they finally kicked in.

After that small adversity, the boys were led to the cafeteria where they were provided cold gray scrambled eggs, flimsy bacon and soggy toast with a tiny carton of milk that was way past it’s expiration date. Having lost some of their appetite at the sight of such a deplorable meal, but not wanting to get into any more difficulty with the watchful staff members and security, they nibbled away at some of their food.

At 9AM, they were headed to their Therapy Circle by a disgruntled Orderly Timothy until a familiar black hair, and pale skin young man in white clothes came around the corner heading their way. With the drugs from that morning starting to kick in and making them lethargic, Bert and the others almost thought it was their old dear friend Hermanni coming over to greet them, but as soon as they heard the voice leaving those lips they knew it was not him.

“Yo Jack, where the fuck were you? I had to watch your group of dick wads over here since 7!” Timothy barked, gesturing to the four patients trying to remain on their feet by leaning against each other for support with their backs against the walls so they wouldn’t topple to the ground and ultimately get into a struggle with the staff members.

Not that they were the only ones that were staggering on their feets. They couldn’t see past their own languor at the other patients bumbling past them and using their surroundings to keep them from tottering too. Several were being followed by irritable Orderlies that were whipping them with small batons that were strapped to a black utility belt around their hips. Every cry of anguish made every patient that was attempting to hold it together visibly flinch, including Bert and his friends.

“Good old Angelina locked her keys in the front office again.” Jack explained, rolling his eyes as he retold the circumstances that led to his early morning absence. “I had to break in to help her get them back.”

“Goddamnit, they need to fire that old hag!” Timothy spat with unnecessary spite for the elderly co-worker. “She's been nothing but trouble since she started here, am I right?”

“You’re right. But hey, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and get my patients to their Therapy Circle for me really quick.” Jack requested, earning a groan from Timothy. “Look, I would totally do it myself but I got radioed by Rebecca on the way here about some important guy wanting to see me upstairs.”

“Fucking fine, just be quick about it. AND that better be the last favor I hear coming from you today too.” Timothy warned him then indicated one of Jack’s new patients. “I hear one of these fuckers is a cannibal.”

“No promises, man!” Jack shrugged, then patted Timothy’s back before walking past them to the Doctor’s office a few floors up.

Timothy gestured for Bert and the others to follow him into a vast room with a circle of twelve chairs in the center. A few groups of patients were already present in the room when they entered. Bert and the others quickly claimed the closest chairs to them and sat down, resting their debilitated bodies.

Timothy eventually left without a word to check on his own patients.

“Oh man, what the fuck is wrong with us? I’m so fucking tired.” Bam whined, leaning his head back and closing his eyes. “It feels like I haven’t slept in years!”

“It’s the pills, they’re taking effect. We need to try and fight them off.” Bert educated them while leaning over to prop his elbows on his knees to take in deep breaths. When that didn't work and his eyes began to fall shut, he squeezed them tightly to wake them up. “Who knows what these people will do to us if we fall asleep on them. Probably cripple us permanently while we’re knocked out.”

Around them were three other groups that kept clustered to themselves. Despite their anti-social behavior they weren’t reticent themselves. Cries of mourning, moans and groans of physical and mental discomforts, growls of threats, and barks of defiance were heard within the room as well as other bizarre sounds in the mix they couldn’t determine.

Connor kept a wary eye out for Cris, Bam and Bert, surveying for any form of disorder in their vicinity…and sadly, he pinpointed one heading their way. Keeping his eyes on the target, he notified Bert. “Incoming.”

Everyone watched as their leader followed his gaze to a group of tall patients making their way directly to them. It wasn’t their stature that was startling at first glance, but their faces. Their faces had the type of unsettling malevolent expressions you only saw in the Horror movies and it was enough to spook anyone out of an induced state such as them.

Cris and Bam jerked up in their chairs and glanced at Bert on what they should do.

“Stay put, and let me do the talking. We really need to stay out of trouble in this place. It’s unfamiliar territory.” Bert instructed them. Using all his might, he stood up from his chair to face the group as they halted in front of him.

Nothing was said as their leader looked Bert over intensely, but no words needed to be said. This guy didn’t like newcomers, and didn’t care if they liked him back. He was the type that felt he was entitled to the highest respect and wouldn’t accept any less treatment from other patients. Bert wasn’t looking forward to chatting with this hard-headed jerk especially when he wasn’t at his best.

“HEY!” Someone yelled out from behind them, causing the group to back up from the newcomers.

Cris turned around in his chair and recognized their Orderly, Jack. Walking over with authority in his step, the Orderly crossed his arms over his chest as he looked from his weakened patients to the hostile looking group of patients. He looked to both leaders and demanded. “What's going on over here, huh?” Neither of the men replied. Accepting their silence as an answer to brewing trouble, he trained his brown eyes on Bert. “You guys come with me, right now!”

Bert sighed inwardly before turning to assist the others up onto their feet from their chairs. Under the dark glares of the hateful group, they trudged along behind Jack. They weren’t briefed on where they were going or why they were being taken from their Therapy Circle. All they cared about was avoiding that group of patients at least until they were strong enough to resist the medication and defend themselves fairly.