Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 119: Miss Golden Girl

Later on in the day in the Female Ward, the girls were getting ready for bed after a long day of getting accustomed to their new home. It hadn’t been as peachy as it should have been. They felt like they’d depleted all day walking on broken glass around the other Orderlies as well as their own, Rachel, who luckily was more interested in gossiping with her co-workers to spare them a glance.

Otep had returned to their room to check up on them as soon as the patients were allowed access outside of their rooms for a momentary period. But instead of leaving when it was mandatory for the patients to head to their appointed rooms, she decided to hang around a bit longer than she was allowed to, and didn’t seem to care all that much about the consequences for breaking the rules.

The others could see Otep wasn’t in the mood to heed any of their warnings, and because they didn’t know what had truly transpired in her first meeting with her new roommates, they voted not to push it and leave her be. No matter what was tumbling in her mind, Otep wouldn’t deliberately cause disorder without good reason. Leaving her be, they went about calmly with their night ritual. Or what was left of their nightly ritual. Now that they were out of the mall, they no longer had anything of their own. Everything that they had claimed as theirs had been stripped from them and burnt by the staff of this Psychiatric Hospital. Feeling sullen about that, they all sought retreat deep within their own minds to escape their reality...only to return to pining over their woes all over again.

Otep sat cross legged on the cold floor, silently in her own thoughts as well. Unlike them, she wasn’t letting this place get to her that easily, because she knew she’d have a superior chance of escaping with her brain still properly intact rather than wailing over beautiful lost times. And beautiful they absolutely were, she’d be a fool to refute it. They had been the lucky ones to find a metaphorical oasis in the center of a desolate desert and graciously claimed it as their own. Not all the patients that fled the medical facility were so fortunate.

At first, no one but Otep detected a young girl around their age with blonde curls stepping into the room through the cracked doorway. Whoever she was, she didn’t seem at all spooked by the newcomers like most patients were around here. She just stood with her hands on her hips, watching them tug back their bedsheets with a vexing look on her doll-like face. Otep turned her head fully towards the patient, but the blonde girl didn't acknowledge her presence in the slightest bit. Her attention was fixated on Otep’s friends who were beginning to climb into bed. Otep wasn’t sure what to think of this chick at first, but with the way she was posing so supreme-like, she had a pretty good idea. This girl was here to start some trouble.

The blondie cleared her throat to proclaim her arrival since the others in the room still hadn’t glanced her way yet. Just as she needed, the whole room was now looking at her with surprise written on their faces.

“Oh! Uh h-hello there. I’m sorry we...we didn’t see you there.” Alexis apologized tentatively, sensing that this girl meant trouble by the dirty expression forming on her face. The last thing she wanted was to give her a motive to trigger a spectacle that would attract the Orderlies and so she spoke as peacefully as she possibly could, almost like a teacher would to their kindergarteners.

“We were getting ready for bed.” Onika told the peculiar girl, unable to resist crossing her arms over her chest in a display of annoyance towards Miss Golden Girl. She was not in the mood to deal with whatever dramatics this stranger seems to want to deliver to their room. Plus, Onika knew the rules around here and wasn’t looking to get involved in any form of strife. She’s already overheard so many sinister stories from the staff of what they did to their patients, and she felt like she already knew all of them by heart.

“Yeah, I can see that. I’m not dumb. I’m smart. The name is Jayda.” Jayda finally spoke up for the first time, stomping her foot mutinously on the floor like a child that wasn’t getting her way. The others also couldn’t help but notice that her voice sounded like a cross between a woman baby talking to her boyfriend to appear cute, and a childlike cartoon character. What was up with that, they had no clue. They collectively speculated if she was one of those patients that had the mind of a toddler.

“Okay. What do you want?” Natasha inquired of her, her thick brows frowning in bafflement. Why exactly did this young lady just waltz in here?

Jayda daringly stepped further into the room. “I just want you all to know that if you’re thinking about messing with me, think again. Just because you’re older than me doesn’t mean you can just take anyone’s barbie dolls that aren't yours! That’s poppycock! Your mommy didn’t work hard enough to buy them for you, mine did! Do you hear me!?”

Towards the end Jayda began to heighten her voice into a shout, alarming Otep to the point where she leapt to her feet from behind her. The others hysterically looked to one another, totally lost on what they should do to compose this offended girl who was agitated about her toys that they had never even seen before, much less touched.

No one knew why this chick was complaining to them about dolls. Out of all the times in the day they spent trying to stay out of everybody’s hair, why on earth would they decide it would be a splendid idea to steal someone else’s belongings when it would definitely result in the exact danger they’d worked so hard to dodge from the start? That was contradicting as hell!

“I SAID, DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?” Jayda hollered, desperate for complete and utter control of them. Her brown eyes frantically darted across all the discombobulated faces, not seeing any remorse or resignation to her demands. Needing to set things straight, Jayda reached out for the nearest girl and sank her fingernails into her upper arm.

Alexis let out a cry as Jayda’s nails pierced her skin. No longer playing nice, she attempted to snatch her arm out of her grasp. “Get your fucking hands off of me, you psycho bitch! What the fuck is wrong with you!?”

Otep wasn’t about to stand back and let Alexis take her down on her own. Not because she was concerned about the destruction she’d do to Jayda, but because they couldn’t risk a brawl being heard. From behind the blonde, Otep unhooked Jayda’s claws off of Alexis and drove her to her knees seconds afterwards. She could feel the other’s eyes on her as Jayda began to beg for her not to break three of her fingers in the grip she had them in. They have seen Otep hurt people before back in the swamps and such, but they never saw her hurt a female before. For some reason it only made Otep all the more terrifying.

“HEY! GET OFF HER RIGHT NOW!” A voice barked from the doorway, making everyone jump in place but Otep. It was their Orderly, Rachel, who rushed in with two other females behind her and then a man. Otep shrugged at their command and let Jayda go without a fuss before they could get to her.

Jayda laid in a foetal position on the floor, rocking herself as she clutched onto her right hand. Howls were the only sound in that room before Rachel issued out orders to apprehend Otep. Only having time to roll her eyes before she was being roughly seized, she was then hustled into a straitjacket.

“Would you knock it off?! I’m not putting up a fucking fight here!” Otep yelled at the male Orderly so he would stop jerking her around the room like a rag doll for no reason. Unlike most of their patients, Otep was cooperating completely by allowing them to restrain her without a fight. They didn’t have to attempt to break a bone just to get her into the damn jacket successfully.

“Otep, n-” Onika stepped forward to try and have her back in some way, probably by choking the male out first if she could get on his back, but Otep halted her in her tracks with a lethal dark glare.

“Don’t you move! I can take care of myself. You know the rules, so follow them. I'll be back, don’t worry.” Otep swore to them, before being transferred out of the room by the three Orderlies.