Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 17: Connor. He's Here.

“Cris, it’s your turn now.” Bert softly called to his friend from where he sat directly beneath the surveillance camera, completely out of its sight. He listened in closely for the sound of validation that Cris had heard him before continuing. “Bam will show you where to go if you freeze up and panic, just try to make sure to stay close to the door when you get to one, so the camera won’t be able to catch you. Should be easy enough. You ready?”

"Y-Yeah.” Cris stammered in fear from where he was crouched in the vent, his heart pounded heavily in his head so loud he had to concentrate solely on the sound of Bert’s voice and nothing else.

“Set. Go, Cris! Go!” Bert gently urged his friend and watched as he too shot out of the vent in a rush. When Cris had stumbled by Bam’s door, his roommate was kind enough to have reached out a hand to grab ahold of arm and yank him into his hiding spot for them both to share.

"You okay, man?" A nervous Bam asked an equally nervous Cris, who was panting from the adrenaline rush coursing through his veins as he pressed the entire length of his body flat up against the door like Bam.

“O-Oh yeah, I'm fine. D-Don't you worry bout little ole’ me.” Cris tried to assure him as he shot him a quick fearful look that was clearly mutually felt.

Bam gave Cris a nod before finally noticing that Bert went quiet. Frowning to himself, Bam decided to call out to him to make sure he was still there and hadn’t left them two there alone to fend for themselves. Chancing a quick peek of the hallway was too much of a risk even Bam wouldn’t dare to make. “Hey, Bert, are you still there, man?”

Quietly, Bert turned around and stood up from beneath the surveillance camera, so that he was now facing the office window where he could verify that the night watch guard was still heavily snoring away behind his desk. Looking around the interior of the station, Bert caught the light bouncing off the keys clipped on the key ring lying on the table next to the glazed donut with rainbow sprinkles, and the neglected lukewarm coffee. In front of Bert's stomach was a small mail slot where documents would usually be handed through over to the security guard on watch if need be. Deciding to use that to somehow get his hands on the keys he would need to find Otep, Bert bent down a little, and daringly reached his arm through the slot far enough to grab a pen that he hoped could give him the extra reach to get to the keys. Looping the end of the pen through the key ring, Bert gradually pulled the keys closer and closer until he was able to reach out and grab ahold of them all the while the security remained deeply asleep. Bert smiled as he pulled his hand out of the mail slot and eagerly sifted through the many keys on the key ring.

"Bert, you still there!?" Cris called worriedly from where he and Bam had their backs against a door, hiding from the security camera.

"Yeah, I'm still here, I just got the keys.” Bert murmured to them, his eyes never leaving the keys. His voice lowered as he began to talk to himself. “Now, I just have to find the right one…aha!" Out of the many keys stood out one with a black tip on it. Shoving it into the night watch station’s lock, Bert inaudibly opened the door. The snoozing guard was a pretty heavy-set man, but he slept as serenely as a newborn baby. On the security console before the computer screen, a red key was stuck into a red keyhole. Bert had figured out long ago that that particular keyhole had to most likely be the on switch for the very few security cameras they had down on this level. He had been right. All cameras in solitary confinement had been shut off. Now, Bert merely leaned over the table and simply turned the key white the security guard slept. Before he left, he made sure to grab the clipboard on the table that contained a lift of patient names, and the room numbers they were in. With the key, he locked the door behind him.

Bert walked away from the small station, but continue to keep his voice low. “Come on out you guys, the cameras have been shut off. Make sure to keep your voice down thought, okay? Don't wanna wake the guard up now.”

“Shit, that was intense!” Bam admitted as he let out a long breath and hunched over to take a breather, his hands on his knees.

"What’s that, Bert?" Cris asked him, inquisitively eyeing the clipboard in Bert's left hand.

“List of inmates.” Bert shared, a look of concern and puzzlement mixed on his face. “But this can't be right. Otep isn't anywhere on here!”

“What? That can't be right. She must be on there! Let me see.” Cris impatiently asked, taking the clipboard from Bert, and searching over the names himself. He searched and searched until his eyes enlarged in shock. “Oh my god...”

Bert and Bam's eyebrows raised at the alarm in Cris’s voice and the look of astonishment on his face. They both stepped closer to him until they were both leaning over the clipboard, simultaneously whispering a curious. “What? What is it?”

Licking his lips, Cris looked up at them both, his face was so numb at this point he didn’t know if he was smiling, or not. “Connor. He's here.” Finally, he felt an ecstatic smile spread across his face. Bam’s response was to roll his eyes, and walk away from them. No, he planned on staying out of the cannibal love circle going on between Bert and Cris.

Bert gave Cris a nod with an alleviated smile. “Which room is he in!? Hopefully he'll still be in good enough shape to be moved.”

Cris's sapphire blue eyes darted over the paper, re-spotting his blood brother's name again, then glanced at the number next to it. “Room 574.” Before he could lift his head, Bert had rushed to that specific door in lightning speed, and used as many keys as it took to find the one to unlock it. The white room inside was a mess of dry old blood, fresh spilled blood and other dark stains you wouldn't want to know about. The room was originally designed as padded room for solitary confinement, but times had changed, and the staff had turned these rooms into torture rooms. Hanging from chains anchored into the celling in thick cuffs was Connor, his white clothes stained with his fresh and dried blood, his face covered with a black bag.

Cris gasped, putting a hand to his mouth before rushing over to his childhood, his hands reaching out to grab onto Connor’s shirt to wake him up by firmly tugging on it. “Connor! Connor, say something damn you!” Cris cried out hastily, his blue eyes shining with apprehension. Bert stood by him, searching for any sign of movement from the hanging body, unable to find the strength to do much else than that. After a few seconds, black bag twitched up, then slumped back down again, startling both Cris and Bert back a step.

“Connor?!” Cris cried out again, before stepping forward again to tug on his shirt harder than before, relief flooding him when he soon earned a muffled growl from him in reply. Cris's face burst into light as he beamed in exhilaration, exposing his pearly white teeth in a grin. With a short choked laugh, Cris wrapped his arms around Connor's waist in a loving embrace.

“Oh thank god, you're still alive! I missed you so damn much, brother! Thank you god!" Cris praised with a grin on his face. Bert couldn't help, but chuckle softly at how funny this sappy scene appeared to him. Walking over to Connor's side, Bert tried to make sure not to the disturb the one-sided brotherly love as he reached up and hopped to yank the bag off Connor's head.

From what Bam could see from the open doorway, Connor had very pale skin, long ebony black hair, and bright green eyes. He also had a pretty strong build too. Blinking a few times against the dim light in his cell, Connor glowered at his surroundings, his cheek bruised, and his lip split from a recent beating. He looked down at the two men looking up at him, and grunted. “Damn, thought they would’ve killed me by now.”

Bert laughed at Connor’s familiar negativity to every situation. It was almost like having a breath of fresh air to him after being stuck inside for so long. “No, not yet, man. You’re not that lucky.” His eyes wandered over Connor’s frame and at the blood on his clothes. His tone turned serious now as he glanced back up at him. “Do you have any broken bones are anything that’ll slow you down?”

“No, I'm go- damnit, Cris, get the fuck off me already! Jesus fucking Christ, I get the damn point!” Connor spat out at his brother, making Cris jump back from him but with a smile still glued on his face. Connor rolled his eyes in aggravation before noticing a new face standing by the doorway watching them. “Who the fuck are you?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Boys