Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 32: Subterranean Hellhole

For the millionth time since meeting Bam, Otep scowled at him, not finding him at all an enjoyable or useful person to be around. Not only was he aggravating as hell, but he had a predisposition that danced along a thin line between being abhorrent and incensing most of the time. She couldn't spew out an order of silence from him because she was so infuriated by the way he was harassing Cris to affirm something to them that it left her speechless.

Alexis decided to speak up then, dragging Otep's attention away completely from Bam and thankfully giving her time to simmer down. “This morning when we all were coming down for breakfast we saw some things that might...delay the plan.”

“What do you mean?” Bert demanded tightly, his hard eyes roaming over every face involved at their table.

Licking her full lips anxiously at his rigid tone, Alexis carefully explained in a low whisper. “Cris and Bam found out that there are new updated cameras being installed in the facility, we're not sure if it's all over the place or set in specific locations.” She watched as their leader stiffen at the notification of this new approaching peril to their escape plan and found herself regretting being the one to tell him when his hands coiled into deadly fists on the cafeteria table. “B-Before that, Demitria and Natasha witnessed the locks being changed in the girl dorms area and I'm not talking about our old school lock and key or traditional key cards here, but the kind that requires fingerprint analysis.” Seeing the barely controlled fury obscuring Bert's handsome face made Alexis finally avert her eyes in order to finish. She couldn't leave one element out for it was crucial that Bert and Otep were 100% cautioned of the proceedings that were taking place without their knowledge. “Also, Onika and I overheard three security officers talking about the vents being examined and dabbled with...”

Silence engulfed the table again outside of the rest of the patients dining in the cafeteria. Otep closed her eyes and sighed with defeat before opening them again to stare blankly at the table. She'd just lost her appetite. For what felt like hours, nothing was spoken among the group.

“It's canceled then. It's over.” Bert grumbled as he picked up a piece of old cold chicken and started biting into it. As far as he was concern he didn't have anything else to convey on the subject.

The four girls sitting across from him gaped in dismay at him with wide eyes along with Cris who was just as unsettled by Bert's statement. Was he giving up on their escape plan? “W-What?”

Otep concealed her face to harbor features twisted with regret, and bitterness. She too didn't have anything else to say. From what it sounded like, the plan was over. Escaping was over. They were all back to square one. Until they knew how to bypass at these new technology and trials, no one was going anywhere. It would be suicide to.

Bam merely clenched his fists again and gritted his teeth together. He had to force himself to look away or else he'd open his mouth and yell something that he was too privately distressed to say. Don't get him wrong. Bert electing to withdraw was completely unacceptable! But right now, for the first time in a long time, he was conscious that anything that came out of his mouth right now wouldn't alleviate their situation in the slightest, only obstruct it.

“B-But Bert...we have to get ou-” Demitria's small voice was cut off by Bert slamming his fist down onto the table, making her flinch and lean against Onika for stability.

“And how the fuck do you propose we do that, huh!? How about you guys spin me an idea for once! Cause it looks like I'm the only that does all the thinking around here! All you guys get to do is sit around in your room and relax while I risk my neck every second of every fucking day to figure out a plan to get us all out of here! So don't tell me that we have to get out of here, cause trust me, I'm fully fucking aware of that!” Slinging his fork away, Bert slapped his open palm onto the table this time before the rowdy sound of several heavy boots stampeding down the stairs from the upper level of the facility reverberated throughout the cafeteria.

Everyone seemed to choke on their food out of apprehension as they all glanced up or peered over their shoulders at the large closed double doors except for Bam, Bert and Otep. Bam locked a glare at the door instead, knowing something bad was heading their way that he has yet to be a part of since living down here. “What's going on? Who's coming?”

“Nothing good.” Cris managed to whisper out in a wobbly voice before the door swung open to reveal seven large burly men looking like the secret service marching in with Dr. McCarter securely walled within the center of their circle formation.

Everyone in the cafeteria went dead silent and gawked as the 'good' Doctor strode ahead to the center of the cafeteria ahead of his guards who watched him closely like a hawk. It took a moment for Bam to recognize the man that was responsible for locking him away down here. “That sonofabitch!” Eyes ignited with determination for vengeance, he was about to jump to his feet to attack the man and make him pay for all he's done to not only him, but the others too when Cris and Otep simultaneously reached across the table to seize a hold of his wrists and fastened him back down in his seat. “Hey! What the hell do you think you guys are doing!? Let me go!”

“Shut your fucking mouth, you fucking idiot, unless you want us all to die!” Otep snapped at him before Cris could try a less combative way to shut him up.

Spinning around in his crisp gray suit, Dr. McCarter clapped his hands together behind his back, and inconspicuously began to seek out a familiar face as his eyes swept the large room in what appeared to be mere observation. Upon not spotting that face, the Doctor began his speech, not comprehending that the person he was looking for had his back to him the whole time, squeezing his eyes shut with malice at hearing his familiar voice. “Good evening, my dear sick children. Tonight I come here to exclusively educate you of the recent changes that will be taking place in our facility. As you may or may not know...” Dr. McCarter chuckled at how foolish that last sentence sounded. “Forgive me, I highly doubt you drooling medicated sinners would even have a single brain cell left to be able to fathom anything I say by the looks of you. Either way, for the lucky ones that are still conscious within those tenacious skulls of yours there have been some changes implemented to accommodate you all to your surroundings more safely. Today we have been installing new up-to-date technology within your home. We now have high-tech security cameras being installed throughout both dorms, males and females, the cafeteria, and down in Solitary Confinement. These cameras are much agile than their predecessors before them, they possess night vision, heat vision as well as some more keen gifts such as detecting the smallest sounds whether from full beings like ourselves or a tiny meager mouse.” He smirked as he inspected the faces looking back at him before finally recognizing the only person in the entire cafeteria with his back to the him. His smile sank at the probability that this young man with the dark shoulder length hair could be that face he had been watching for.

Shaking his head to not get diverted, Dr. McCarter snatched his eyes away to beam confidently at his many patients. “We also have evolved the locking mechanisms in our facility, not only are few still locks and keys as well as keycards access, but now they require fingerprint analysis in order for the doors to engage. Now, to all you pick-lockers out there, it looks like you'll have to try a little harder if you want to continue to scamper throughout my facility unsupervised. These new locks don't just apply only to the doors, but all elevators access as well. Last but not least, we have been getting complaints of...rats, I suppose you could call them, in the ventilation systems from various areas of the facility so we have examined the vents and left a few delectable treats behind that they will likely enjoy. Oh, but don't be confused, children. I'm not talking of elementary mouse traps here.”

Bert remained mute, his fists convulsing on the table top as the man guilty for locking them away from the surface gave them all a rundown on the developments in the facility. The bastard just annihilated Bert's escape plan that was formerly fool proof when opposing against the older systems. But now that everything is new and improved, he honestly didn't know how else he was going to save his friends or himself from this subterranean hellhole.

“No, when I say treats, I DO mean treats.” Dr. McCarter grinned maliciously before reaching into the pocket of his suit for his pocket watch in order to verify the time. Placing it back into his pocket, he began to clap in ovation to them all as he had meant to make his way back towards the stairs that led to the only exit within this buried facility, when he began to gravitate off towards the only patient who refused to turn and face him. “Forgive me, you unholy spawns of nature, but I have an appointment that I mustn't be late for. Don't forget to pray before bed for God's forgiveness for your sins. Perhaps one day, the Lord will forgive you for the devastation you've driven upon the innocents within his garden. I bid you farewell, and I hope...”

Bert felt two hefty warm hands come down on his shoulder and instantly went rigid. His only move was to sink his head to shelter behind his long hair in order to keep himself from jumping to his feet and dispatching a flying fist right into the man's face to shut him up for good.

“...god has mercy on your souls.” With that, Dr. McCarter extracted his hand and took off without a word.

The cafeteria went back to babbling again once the door closed behind the man in the gray suit except for everyone at Bert's table who were restrained, and ogling him inquisitively. The rest of dinner was nibbled in reticence. By the look on Bert's face, no one dared attempt to inquire what on earth his brief, but intimate encounter was about with Dr. McCarter. Someone probably would have if after dinner they knew that that would be the last time they would see Otep and Bert for quite some time.