Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 39: They Know We're Here!

Around the end of supper that very same day, Bert, Bam and Otep covertly lurked into the shower room constructed into the left side of the cafeteria, not bothering to bypass the upgraded and newly installed cameras simply because there was no way to, and another reason being this could possibly be a one way trip down anyway, or if they're fortuitous, up.

Otep and Bam stood where they were near the door, not really sure of the plan themselves because it hadn't ever been disclosed to them, but having no choice but to put all their faith in Bert regardless. What they didn't know was that whatever comes their way tonight, Bert was pretty much going to wing every obstruction. That was his only substantial strategy here, and it was nothing but deadly.

Exploring fiercely around the sector of pipes, Bert finally located the component he was hunting for before spinning to address his two companions. “Okay, this is what we're going to do. Otep, I need you to see if this key can still unlock the stall with that vent we use just like before, if it does, then luck might just be on our side tonight. If the key doesn't work, Bam you need to knock that fucking door open with every strength you got left in you. Go ahead and find any loose pipes anywhere in this room, they're tons of them here.” He surmised up what the ongoing mission was in case they weren't following. “Basically, if we can't get into the vents the same way we could before then we're gonna have to literally fight our way down. So, any minute now the alarms are mostly likely go-”

Suddenly, a resounding noise reverberated throughout all the floors in the subterranean facility, startling the daylights out of everyone within. Bam shrouded his ears from the ringy tone he'd never heard before since incarcerated down there. “Holy shit, what the fuck is that!?”

“The alarm! They know we're here! We gotta fucking move it before company arrives, and we all get killed!” Bert flung Otep the key before rushing to jerk a loose pipe from his favorite shower stall. He then pinpointed a secluded spot near the entrance of the shower room to hole up in in order to get the jump on the guards should they dare enter through the sealed doubled doors. From there, they wouldn't be able to see him.

“I got it!” Otep flew to the stall with Bam who snatched out a pipe for himself. With surprisingly durable hands, Otep was able to unravel the chains securing the stall.

“My turn!” Propelling her aside, Bam rapidly lurched at the vent itself, striking it open with frightful violence that was presently coming in handy in this pivotal moment.

The double door to the shower room exploded open with the vibration of the guard thundering tones and stampeding footsteps. “Now, where are these little fucking kids? When I find them I-” Bert assuage his pounding heart as the first unsuspecting guard shuffled in around the corner, awarding him the excellent opportunity to overwhelm the giant with a swing from the bulky ancient pipe from where he balanced himself on one of the lockers, utterly out of sight. The guard screeched and slumped to the floor, the top of his head bleeding from the single impact.

“Hurry, get in!” Bam assisted Otep into clambering into the vent that was much too small for the guards to pursue through. “And don't turn back for anything!”

“Just so long as you two don't keep me waiting!” Otep scurried through until she felt the ridge where the vent made a clear drop. Carefully feeling around for the ladder, Otep scaled down.

“Bert, the vent is cleared! Get your ass over here now!” Bam called to him, dumping his pipe aside to pick up the chunky chain that was used to enclose the stall door shut that still swayed through it's handle. Maybe with this he can seal the doors to the showers behind them and keep the guards out!

Bert started migrating back swiftly, targeted and miraculously hurled his pipe precisely into the head of the next guard charging in, snagged the pipe Bam abandoned on the floor, then skidded into the stall, striving to catch his breath as Bam sprinted past him out of the stall. “BAM, WAIT! WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?”

Bam shot to the shower doors and smashed them shut before sealing it with the heavy chain and padlock just in time for the door to convulse with the pounding of the large hands pummeling down on it. Bam lurched back in shock and dropped to the brisk tile floor. “HEY, YOU ASSHOLES BETTER OPEN THE DOOR NOW OR WE'RE GONNA RING YOUR FUCKING NECKS!”

Whisking over, Bert wrenched Bam back up onto his feet. “Are you okay, man?”

“Don't worry about me, we gotta keep moving!” Bam ordered, reminding him of their objective.

“That's the spirit.” With an impressive smile, Bert mounted through the vent to escape. But that was before the stall door unexpectedly burst into splinters and the two guards he'd beaten before came tumbling in one by one.

Unfortunately, one of them managed to seize a hold of Bam's ankle just as he was clambering into the vent. “Ha, got you!” The guard elated before hollering over his shoulder to anyone who would hear. “AY, OVER HERE! I GOT ONE!”

“BERT!” Bam yelled the instant he felt himself being towed back out, his sweaty hands trying to hold to the metal of the vent.

Bert's blue eyes enlarged when he peeked over his shoulder and recognized that Bam had been apprehended. Not thinking of his own well-being, he dashed back for his partner, yelling out to him in reassurance. “Bam! Hold on, I'm coming!”

“GET THE FUCK OFF ME, YOU PIECES OF SHIT!” Bam roared at them, trying to get a good grip on the metal vent without having anything sturdy to hold on to until Bert shoved the pipe he took along with him towards Bam where it made contact with his hand. “OW, FUCK!”

“Fucking use it, Bam!” Bert yelled at him.

Bam nodded and clutched the pipe good, managing to swivel around on his stomach before reluctantly allowing the guard to drag him out of the vent just enough. As he was halfway there, Bam smashed the pipe into the center of the guard's face, producing a loud fracture and blood from his nose. The guard wailed and surrendered his hold, allowing Bam to bolt back into the vent, and completely out of harm's reach. “YOU LITTLE SHIT, GET BACK HERE! WHEN I FIND YOU I'M GONNA RIP YOUR ARMS OUT LIMBS FROM FUCKING LIMBS!”

“Are you good?” Bert inquired carefully once they were safe out of reach.

“That was too fucking close for comfort.” Bam panted out, flabbergasted that he lived and that he wasn't crashing into a heavy state of catatonic shock over it.

Bert shook his head and grinned despite the peril they were in. “For once, I gotta agree with you there.”

_______________________________________________________________________________

“It's about time you made it down here. What the hell happened back there? I heard what sounded like a struggle.” Otep investigated, sitting beside Bert after the two finally made it down the ladder. They both looked dreadful already, sweating and panting, and the night had only just begun. Otep waited calmly for their answers, seeing that they needed time to adjust to whatever calamity they just went through.

“One of the guards I knocked out regained consciousness and almost got Bam. I had to go back for him.” Bert revealed while running his hands over his face to hide the apprehension.

Bam studied Bert when he said that. If it wasn't for this insane vent climbing mastermind, he'd be a casualty tonight. I guess in a way, I owe him my life, Bam thought to himself for he wasn't able to admit it aloud.

“Fuck, good thing that didn't happen. You alright Bam?” Otep questioned, earning a tough nod from him. She wasn't dumb to see that he was determinedly trying to keep himself together and so instead of prying at him, she left him alone. Looking to their leader, she demanded. “Okay, so what now Bert?”