Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 44: Ding

“Well, that about sums up what our next target. Let's get the fuck out of this death trap and back to civilization, shall we?” Bam corresponded with Bert's one of many influential speeches tonight that he divided with the group to keep their disposition up and their effort going. Feeling the flow of the adrenaline kick in, Bam precedes the group into a frenzied spurt from Hermanni's cell to the elevator down the hall, with a cheery Hermanni listlessly ambling up behind them.

Being boxed in a dead end on that floor made the odds of withstanding any longer than they've already had seemed like a long shot, and they all saw it. The clock was ticking, and so everyone roughly bumped and jabbed to cram themselves into the elevator. Sparing apologies for later, they struck and cussed at the elevator to get it to function faster, which was pretty risky considering how dilapidated of a state it already was. When the elevator finally let out a ringing screech followed by a moaning sound, they all knew it was starting up and took their time to unwind. Cris chose to introduce Connor and Hermanni to each other. “Connor, this is our new friend Hermanni. We met him down there a few nights ago. Heramanii, this is our good friend Connor who is also here to help us escape this place.”

“Hey.” Connor greeted in his direction, not thinking much of him other than his eyes looked so striking that they had to be eye contacts...but how does one get colorful eye contacts down here?

Hermanni merely smiled, and imitated his nod back.

“Can we forget about the damn introductions for now, and focus on what we're gonna do once we get back up there to those fucking guards waiting to nab us? Bam cut in, looking strained as his light blue eyes scoured across everyone like they were insane. Introductions, really, he thought to himself, at a critical time like this?

“You're right.” Bert nodded in compliance, his eyes rising towards the holes in the ceiling of the elevator. “Other than trying to fend off as many of those pricks as possible, the next objective following that is will be getting to the girls without getting captured.”

“And how exactly do we do that, Bert?” Otep probed, shrugging against the probability of all of them surviving tonight. Someone was going to get arrested. There was no way they were ALL gonna walk out of there alive.

“Sorry to be a downer, but this all sounds quite suicidal to me too.” Cris hinted timidly, his statement making a few of the others eyes multiply to a frighten size. He didn't want to see the unfavorable side to their plight much like any else did, but it was monstrous and too severe for him to simply forget. This was a matter of life and death, who could overlook that?

"Y-Yeah, it... kind of is.” Bert muttered beneath his breath, confirming the truth instead of providing them a distortion. He didn't want to think of who would be marooned behind, and who would make it, who he'd have to turn his back on and race away from, and who he could retrieve. The matter of it made him nauseous and his eyes cloudy with tears of resentment because he couldn't be the Superman they all were going to require him to be tonight. He was only a mortal.

“So, what exactly are we going to be dealing with up there?” Connor questioned, cracking his knuckles in preparation for a beat down that was sure to come. Everyone else might be rattling in their shoes, but he had to be ready. There was no way they were going to seize him alive again, and tonight he'd make sure of that. “How many sonabitches should I be expecting to knock out cold so we can get out of here?”

“A few we left behind, but those fuckers were humongous.” Bam recalled, running an unsteady hand through his dark hair. Lord knows he didn't want to do this! He just wanted to close his eyes and wake up back at his parent's house and with...with...

“They're ALL enormous, you dumb ass.” Connor spelled out harshly, receiving a scowl from Bam.

“Wanna say that again, ass wipe!” Bam warned, fearlessly standing up to him.

“KNOCK IT OFF YOU TWO!” Otep shouted, stepping in between them to hustle them both to the adverse sides of the elevator. “SAVE IT FOR THE REAL ENEMY AS IN THOSE BASTARDS UPSTAIRS!”

“She's fucking right, you two, we're almost there anyway. You wanna beat the fuck outta someone, battle those fuckers instead! Not each other. We need as much man power as we can get, every ounce of it, we don't need to be going at each other like this, got it?” Bert conducted sternly like a sergeant. He didn't wait for a trace of submission by either hothead, and instead spun back to face the elevator door, hastily handing the pipe to Otep for her safety. Straightening his shoulder, Bert worked on breathing in and out gradually in order to assuage his nerves for the span of the ride.

This was it, this was the moment they would live, or die in.

A quivering Cris retreated back so that Connor, the muscle of the group, would be up front with Bert. He now stood next to a bristling Bam with Otep behind him clasping her weapon next to a beaming Hermanni who didn't appear to perceive the severity of the situation.

They waited.

The three toughest males with tightly constricted fists, and their game faces on. Otep secured her grapple on the pipe, not out of fear, but to collect onto her building fury for just the right moment. Cris was rattling in undeniable horror until he felt a compassionate hand land on his shoulder. Blue eyes rapidly locked on blue and green eyes peering right back at him, Hermanni gifted a reassuring smile to Cris, providing him the vigor that he couldn't develop within himself alone. Before he could turn to face the front again, the elevator dinged and the doors opened quickly, displaying a crowded chapel.

Three hulking guards with covert creatures in the black leather wet suit behind them, startled the entire group of kids into an incapacitated state for a moment, catching them completely off guard by their vast numbers. They didn't have time to recoup when two great hands charged out to fist themselves in Bert and Connor's shirt, jerking them out of elevator like they were rag dolls and flinging them over their shoulders like they weighed nothing at all. The duo clamored out before crashing into some old pews, splintering them into wooden pieces. The emaciated creatures on all four howled, and slapped their hands on the grubby hardwood floors before slinging themselves onto Bert and Connor next, striking their agile bony fists down onto their bodies to take them down. “GET OFF YOU SKINNY MOTHERFUCKERS!”

Cris and Bam were taken next, this time by their necks in an unwavering choke holds, and soon afterward, Otep. All three kicked, roared and undertook to tear the sausage fingers from their necks with all their might. “C-Can't breath!”

All that was left was Hermanni, who stood expressionless in the back of the elevator as he scrutinized everything that progressed. The last hefty guard spotted him and grinned maliciously, cracking his stone knuckles in preparation to apprehend him next. Hermanni listened to his chuckle and peeked at him, his own enticing smile crossing his lips as he receded back into the elevator until his back contacted the farthest corner. Lifting a finger, Hermanni coaxed him to follow. “Come...and take me.”

The big man chuckled at Hermanni's rendition of a tough guy act before lumbering on into the elvator. Unexpectedly, the doors rapidly slammed shut behind him with such a force it swung the whole thing, accompanied by a resounding thud, and then a splurge of liquid was all that was heard. No one paid any attention to this for they were too engaged with trying to stay alive. Between being suffocated to death by a steel-like grip, or being battered by lightning-fast bony fists with sharp nails, why on earth would they be fixated on Hermanni at a time like this?

The elevator door issued a hazy ding much lower than before.

Still, no one seemed to have noted.

The unstable doors swished effortlessly open without the familiar abhorrent screech.

Everyone is still too engrossed to notice a thing.

Until, a heavy thump of something huge landing on the floor resounded throughout the chapel, and commandeered everyone's attention. The owner of that thundering noise was the hulking man who had gone into the elevator after Hermanni, only now he looked off...as in he was standing without a head. In the interior of the elevator was tons of blood, lumps of brain matter and tiny remnants of skull fragments. Portions of what was once a fully constructed head, that's all that was left coated on the inside.

Neglecting the inadequate thrashing from Bam and Cris, one the guards gestured to the creatures that was on top of Bert, who was unconscious, to explore what happened to their headless co-worker. The creature submissively nodded, vaulted off Bert, and cautiously clambered on all fours into the elevator. Where was the last boy that was in there, was all it thought before the elevator door abruptly slammed shut behind him too. The guards outside shared a look of bewilderment, before snapping their scrutinies back to the elevator after picking up a loud almost metallic slice. Whatever it was, it was loud enough for them to slacken their holds on the kid's throat but not enough to allow them to escape.

Ding.