Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 6: Silence Falls Medical Facility

Bam found the priest’s answer hard to believe. There was no way they could possibly know that he was solely responsible for his pregnant fiancé’s death because they hadn’t been there when it happened, unless…they had hidden cameras installed in his parent’s house, but even that was taking it too far. What kind of town keeps that kind of tight surveillance on its people, and for what reason? As much as he didn’t want to believe that they knew he killed Emma, he couldn’t help but feel a sense of dread that they weren’t messing with him. "B-But how-"

"Never mind that, just answer the question. Why did you kill her, Brandon?" The priest repeated, lacing his fingers together on top of the table, and he studying Bam like a mad scientist would to his patient. Bam didn’t really see any other option other than to tell them the truth. What was the point in keeping a secret like taking an innocent life when he already had a group of people that suspected him to be behind it all? Whether these old people were lying about knowing he murdered Emma, the cops would eventually figure it all out anyway because of all the evidence he left behind at the crime scene and then he’ll be locked up for life. And it’s not like Emma’s family wouldn’t notice her disappearance and start making inquiries anyway. Either way, it would only be a matter of time before an investigation begins in search of Emma’s whereabouts, and for Bam so they could question him about his wife’s absence. Once they found him guilty of murder, his life would be over for good. He might as well come clean about it now. It was the least he could do for the way he snuffed out Emma and the kids.

Bam let out a sigh, and tried to recall the mournful memories of Emma’s last moment alive. “I-I don't remember what really happened. I mean, we were fighting over something, but I’m not sure what it was about. I think she was angry because she was excited to be pregnant, and to finally get to meet the babies, but I wasn't. I don't remember much after the whiskey kicked in. Somehow, she was dead. Somehow, she fell out the window. All I know is that I’m responsible for her death and for…them too." Bam whispered the last part, referring to his unborn twins. Slowly, he lowered his head so that his eyes were staring down at the floor with sudden guilt. He began to shake his head slowly in denial at the murder he had just committed as the memories of that night became clearer and less confusing as the minutes ticked by. In a matter of seconds, he could remember every last moment they had spent in Silence Falls together and how it all ended up with her dead, and him on his knees before the church officials.

"My god, I-I killed her..." Bam shoulders started to shake gently, and then increased more violently as the consequences to his past actions were beginning to dawn on him. Bam couldn’t hear what they were saying when their mouths began to start moving again. In fact, he didn't even care what they thought about him in that moment, their opinions meant nothing to him.

Emma. He had killed her. He had killed his pregnant wife with his own two hands. There was no one to blame for what happened in that bedroom. There was nowhere he could run away to escape those tragic memories of Emma’s last moments. Bam was slowly becoming lost within himself, and could only feel an ocean of loneliness surrounding him for company.

"It appears Mr. Margera is pleading guilty to the murder of Emma and his unborn children." The farmer priest announced to the others at the table as they watched Bam start to shake and hyperventilate as his reality began to consume him.

“Yes, it seems he is.” Banging on his gravel once, the priest boomed out Bam's sentencing to the entire empty church. “Brandon Margera, you have been found guilty of murdering Emma Jones and her unborn children. You are now sentenced to the Silence Falls Medical Facility in the swamps. There you will be imprisoned for the duration of your pitiful life, may God have mercy on your sinful soul! Jeremiah, you may now take him to his new home."

"Come on you, let’s go for a ride." Jeremiah said to Bam sarcastically as the muscle-heads lifted the young boy up, and dragged him out of the church, only to toss him back into the dark abyss within the van.

The van ride felt like a week rather than a 23 hour drive down a dirt road. Occasionally, they pulled over to allow their prisoner to use the bathroom before throwing him back into the van without so much as a word. Bam had a bag wrenched over his head since their first pee stop right when he was done urinating and for the entire ride since then, so his current location was unknown to him. There wasn't much to look at anyway even if he could see out through the bag.

The swamps around them were slightly dark and painted in different shades of green, brown, and black. Vines, algae, moss and humidity had overtaken over the area long ago, and were left to conquer everything. The trees didn't look much like any trees anyone in that part had ever seen before; their trunks and arms bent in crazy uncomfortable looking positions as if they were cursed to appear slightly disfigured. The sky didn't even seem right in the swamps. A blue sunny day in town would looked tinged with green from inside the swamps. The few dirt roads within it were mostly covered in brown and black dirt sprinkled with some stubborn weeds but on a rainy day it would turn into a muddy sludge path of danger. The animal life was oddly nonexistent here, not a howl or peep could be heard for miles. Of course, crickets sometimes chirped as well as frogs and other small insect creatures, but anything else bigger than that didn’t make their homes there. The swamps weren't the kind of place anyone would like to explore with its dark deformed insides promising a beautiful green forever world from the outside. In fact the local people believed the area was cursed. They say once you step too far within it, you risk the chance at never finding your way back out again.

Sitting in one of the corners of the van, Bam had time to reflect upon the recent events. Emma, his pregnant wife, had been killed by the hands of a man who was meant to love and cherish her. He was sure that in her last moments she no longer felt that way about him. In fact, he knew she believed that he was a stranger that she should have feared instead of loved all along. Tightly squeezing his blue eyes shut, Bam forced his past actions out of his mind and instead tried to focus more on their life before Ryan's death.

Strangely enough, no matter how deeply he search, there wasn't a single memory that came to the mind. Slowly opening his eyes, Bam realized that there was no such thing as a happy memory between him and Emma when they were together. Back when they were simply friends there was an abundance of great memories yet the second they got into a serious relationship, the memories stopped altogether. The more Bam thought about it the more he began to realize that the entire time they were dating he had never once felt like they were anything more than just friends. Hell, sex wasn't even fulfilling enough for him, but it wasn’t like she was a terrible lover. She knew what to do when it came to sex, she just…couldn’t make him feel what he thought he was supposed to feel. Then again, no woman has ever been able to make him lose his mind on top of or beneath her.

Goddamn, did I ever truly love her more than just a friend, or have I always felt this way about her and am just figuring it out now that she’s gone, Bam wondered to himself? The marriage they were supposed to have was expected of him by everyone simply because he had knocked her up. At the time, Emma was so happy and in love with him she must have believed he felt the same way about her, and since they were expecting their first child together, it was only proper that they got married?

Bam shook his head at the thought, and remembered laughing at the idea of marriage whenever it was mentioned by his family and friends. People thought he was waiting for the perfect time to ask her, but in actuality he found the idea of it hilarious. The image of Bam and Emma getting married was an absurd fantasy everyone else had conjured up that he had hoped would never come true. Unfortunately when she got pregnant, Bam was pressured so much by family and friends to marry her as soon as possible, and in the end, after holding out for as long as he could, he finally gave in to everyone’s demand. Bam had never felt any difference from when they were friends, to them going out, and then to them getting married. Emma was simply Emma to him and always had been. But then once again everything had changed, this time it was for the worst. Ryan died in a car accident. Bam was forever changed after that. His only emotion seemed to be anger towards everything. His relationship with Emma fell apart and everyone was aware of it. Little by little, Bam became lost in a mental stupor where he was unresponsive to everyone’s attempts at bringing him back. They thought it was some kind of disorder and it was out of his control, but that wasn’t true. Bam did it on purpose to close himself off from everyone without having to hurt anyone with his harsh words or violent behavior. He used to use it on Emma before they got into a fight and most of the time after their fights. But now he didn’t need to do that anymore. There wasn’t going to be any more arguments. No more planning for their expensive wedding. No more future talk about the babies or what their names were going to be. There was no more Emma anymore, and no more babies.

Bam was roused out of his thoughts when he felt the van finally come to a stop somewhere and jumped when he heard the side door being yanked open violently.

“Hello sunshine, welcome to your new home.” A muscle-head announced to him before grabbing Bam by his arm and dragging him out of the van. The black bag was ripped off his head and thrown aside onto a concrete pavement. Bam's eyes frantically darted around him to find a nice little mansion sized facility placed oddly in the swamp. The paved walkways were decorated with vibrate colorful flowers, and perfectly trimmed hedges. A small bird bath with fresh clean water sat empty on the perfectly mowed lawn by it had no birds in it. Up three flights of concrete stairs were two large white front doors that were the entrance to the building.

"Where the fuck am I?" Bam exclaimed in irritation as his eyes studied the structure before him.

"Like I said, your new home, hot potato." The muscle-head reminded him before leading the boy up the stairs to the mansion that look like it's never been touched by a speck of mud from the swamps ever before. The man in black named Jeremiah, knocked on the door and waited a few minutes for someone to answer. The door open to reveal a blonde young lady in pink with a smile stuck on her face.

"Oh good morning brother Jeremiah, how are you this lovely morning?" She welcomed him with joy in her eyes.

"I'm fine sister Cindy, is Father McCarter in?" Jeremiah asked her in polite tone of voice.

"Yes, he is. May I asked why you call for Father McCarter, brother Jeremiah?" Cindy asked curiously.

Jeremiah stepped back to reveal Bam, who was being held up by two muscle heads on each side of him. Bam flipped his brown hair out of his face, revealing blue eyes flaring with anger. Cindy's eyes widen in awe at how a handsome face could have done something so awful as to be brought all the way out here.

“Oh, you must Brandon Margera then.” Cindy pulled the door open further and stepped aside for the new guest. “Please come in, and welcome to Silence Falls Medical Facility, Mr. Margera.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Bam