Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 66: How Do I Rate?

Hermanni smiled at the four beautiful young girls that took the time out of their night to visit him in his Television room that was set up as a temporary cell to contain him until it’s proven he’s not a threat to the rest of the group. There were too many uncertainties surrounding him so they had to be sure. “I would very much like to have your company. Unfortunately, there isn't a way for you four lovely ladies to enter.” He indicated to the thick chains and heavy padlock that kept the gate closed. There were no hard feelings on his end though. He was happy to please everyone by remaining inside with no troubles.

The ladies didn’t feel the same. Their smiles dropped in dismay, and a little surge of outrage rippled through all of them. Demitria, Natasha, Onika and Alexis wanted to go in there and bask in his presence, something they never got a chance to do because by the time they met him they were too busy running for their lives. But Demitria was planning to change that as she cleared her throat and asked. “So Hermanni...if you don’t mind me asking, what is your full name?”

Hermanni lowered his eyes with a pleasant smirk. The girls came here to understand him and try to get to know him, because they believed he wasn't dangerous. They didn’t see the harm in coming to see him in secrecy tonight. Bert and the others, however, felt different about him which is why none of them have confronted him to demand the truth yet. They were afraid of the chances that he could turn out to be an unstable threat to the group after all. They didn’t want to have to kill Hermanni if it came down to it. They killed enough people to get here already, they didn’t want to have to kill anymore. Hermanni understood that and he wished he could make them see he’s no danger to them, but he didn’t want to do it by waving a magic hand. He wanted them to find it within themselves to trust him. He’s already used his powers too often already. “Sadly, I do not remember my name.”

“You don't?” Onika inquired, surprised that someone else other than her had suffered from memory loss. For once, she wasn’t the only one. “Do you suffer from memory loss too?”

“Unfortunately so...I suppose being stuck down in my cell with no one but myself to talk to is probably why I no longer remember my name, or perhaps it could be that I had already accepted I would never get out of there, so my name was of no importance to remember for anyone including myself. You do not need a name if you are all that is left. A name is to distinguish yourself from others, if I am not mistaken.” Hermanni deceived them with ease. He didn’t want to go into his name in fear that he would be giving them what they needed to finally be able to put a face to Subject V. The last thing he wanted was for these young girls to shun him too, and they most certainly would if he dared to speak the truth. Hermanni queried. “May I ask you all a question? How did you come about the facility? You are all exceptional, bright, sane young women. I have seen insanity before and neither of you is it.”

Onika let out a sigh. “We didn't actually go there voluntarily, you know. Like everyone else, we were dragged there against our will.”

“But why?” Hermanni pushed, hoping he wouldn't have to resort to picking their brains too just to get his answers. Sure it was an easy way to get any answer he so desires, but people in the TV don't do that when communicating with other beings. In fact, they never do that. They simply ask... maybe it’s because they haven't explored that much of their brains capacity yet?

Alexis chose to share her tale first. “Well, my family and I just moved to this town. You can say my brother was one of those thugs on the street that wouldn't take any good opportunity to better his life even if it was handed to him for free. My mom moved us here to keep him out of jail and pray the violence out of him. 'God will change him,' that's what she always said, but my brother was stubborn, and so it never worked. We didn't live here long before they came and took us after we got into a public yelling dispute. My old family is dead now, and if it wasn't for my new family I'd be just as dead too.” She ended her story by glancing up with her smile gone. Hermanni knew that she was right when she said her family was dead. Her mother had been too weak to go on without her children, nor did she want to. Her God abandoned her, and so she abandoned her life. She never got out of the van alive again. Alexis’s little sister and older brother were very stubborn and extremely rebellious to the system, so they were killed within the first hour of entering the facility. Only Alexis remained for being less combative.

Onika started her short tale next beginning with rolling her eyes. “My story is so stupid, I swear to god. I too have no real memory of my life before this town, so I can’t really say if I even lived here. A group of their nightwatch men found me under their town's welcome sign and from what I was wearing...or not wearing, they assumed I was a ‘Jezebel’, a threat to the men of their sacred town. They threw me in here pretty quick despite how loud I denied that I wasn't a whore. But then again, how do I know I'm not a whore? Anyway, I never got a fair trial. Hell, I never got a trial period!”

“You are not a whore, I can tell you that much. Someone as beautiful as you do not need to sell themselves to find love or companionship.” Hermanni stated, flashing her another ravishing smile along with a wink.

“Thanks. I hope you’re right about that.” Onika replied in a small voice, her cheeks flushing with heat. At the moment, she instantly believed him despite the endless doubts of who she really was would continue to haunt her every waking thought.

Natasha clapped her hands together with a smile, excited to share her story. “I ended up killing my husband, some other bitch and then my boyfriend all in one night. His name was Noah and we got married for a reason I don't really even remember anymore. I had an affair later on with this guy named Xavier and he was the best I ever had...but he wanted more by asking me to kill Noah so we could be officially together. That man was used to getting his way and fooled me for a little while before I realized killing my husband was the most stupid idea I could ever act upon. Xavier and I could have simply just run away together and Noah wouldn't have ever followed us, he was too chicken shit of a man to. Sadly, Xavier saw muder as the only way out and dumped me until I decided to go through with it. I never did. Two months later, I found out my husband was having an affair. I truly didn't give a shit about it until I overheard a conversation Noah had with his little Courtney over the phone that included my random ‘accidental’ death. I couldn't get a hold of Xavier to come rescue me, and the police would never believe that someone as perfect as Noah could ever commit such a deadly act...I had to protect myself. I killed Courtney by mowing her down with my car, and drugged my husband with the very same concoction he planned on dosing me with before drowning him in the bathtub. I then killed Xavier with a wooden axe in a blind murderous daze. The end. How do I rate?” She asked Hermanni who just looked at her, dumbfounded. Unlike the other girls would be, Natasha wasn't ashamed of killing those people. They were out for her blood, and in her eyes she was protecting herself. Natasha didn't believe in dwelling on the actions one partakes in the past. She believed you had to live with your decisions and enjoy your life the way you want to until the cuffs click around your wrists. But Hermanni knew something about Natasha that others didn't know. Her story was a full blown lie.

“You rate ‘scary’ in my opinion.” Hermanni answered, totally intrigued by her lack of remorse.

“I don't really like telling my story.” Demitria spoke up now that she was the last one left.

“That is fine with me. I do not want you to say anything that will make you uncomfortable.” Hermanni assured her with an understanding smile that hypnotically stripped her uncomfortability away like a breeze.

Unbeknownst to her, Demitria’s lips parted and she began to spill the beans. “I-I had a troubled childhood due to bullying. When I met my first love, it felt like my life began a new blank slate again. His name was Joseph and he worked at Starbucks. I was homeschooled most of my life, but managed to convince my parents to put me back in public school. Joseph and I began dating and soon fell in love. I was distraught that I had to move to Silence Falls after that, but Joseph assured me that he loved me and would wait for me for as long as it took. I believed him. I made a...surprise visit on Valentine's Day to go up and see him. I walked in on her in his bed..” Pausing from the pain, a tear fell down Demitria’s cheek. Hermanni had almost reached out to comfort her with his hand but then remembered the gate stood between them. Demitria continued on anyway. “I-I got out of there and back home in what felt like only a few seconds. I don't remember doing what I did, i-it was like I was watching myself do it, but I-I had no control. I attacked m-my family. Then those men came and took me away, and...I have been with you all ever since.”