Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 70: Onika Without a Past

Onika entered a wig store out of inquisitiveness while on her expedition through the newly spruced up mall. Her mind wasn’t on what wizardry had been behind this enchanted cleanup overnight, but instead on the advertised wigs that were dyed in wacky colors, cut in eccentric styles, or were just plain grisly to her. Onika let out a laugh at one in particular that was a neon teal rendition of a Marie Antoinette French wig.

“Fuck me, who would be caught dead in that!?” She blurted before spinning around to select a random short black wig that wasn’t incorporated in the goofy ones. Twisting it around in her hands, Onika wondered why anyone with hair would want to don a wig when they already had a head of hair like herself. Looking up, she caught herself in a broad standing mirror, her reflection staring right back at her.

Closing the distance, Onika realized that she didn't even know the person staring right at her, except that she had just been through hell to get to this point where she was standing on the other side of the mirror alive. She had her frizzy black hair braided into cornrows with the cooperation of Alexis before they had escaped the facility, the dark circles under her eyes didn’t look as pronounced as she thought they’d be by now but that was probably because of all the satisfactory sleep she was getting, and her skin ultimately looked much healthier now especially after being injected with irregular medications for so long. Onika frowned to her reflection and ran her fingers over her cornrows as she contemplated her past, something so far away from her recollection it might as well not exist anymore.

What happened to me, how did I end up in this shit hole of a town, Onika shrieked in her mind, defeated tears gradually muddying her vision. No longer being able to stand all the pending questions, she violently reached out for the nearest wig, crammed it on her head and packed her long braids into it. Moments passed with Onika sporting a black wig that was short in the back, and past shoulder length in the front with thick barbie bangs hovering over her brown eyes. Her abiding tears shielded her eyes from the clear vision of what she looked like in the mirror, but from what Onika could tell she didn't look like the same 'wounded Onika without a past', anymore. She looked like someone else, someone new, someone that didn’t have a past because they were just born that day. Just like that, her heartache seemed to have gone away. “Hello there, new Onika…” Onika muttered quietly to the mirror, her perception slowly clearing up again. Wow, she did look different to herself, almost like another innocuous member of society. This new Onika was like a baby in a way, and babies need to be protected and treasured against the malice of the world for as long as they could be. “I don't remember what happened to me, what brought me here...but I won't let anyone hurt you like the old Onika. I'm going to protect you and keep you safe for as long as I can. I promise.”

“Onika, is that you, girl?” A voice hailed out from behind her.

“Huh?” Onika said, swinging around to notice Alexis standing there in a white tank top underneath a black lace tank top, tight blue jeans with a thick black leather belt, and combat boots.

At first, Alexis had an fearful expression on her face until she finally recognized Onika underneath her wig. She grinned with alleviation and stepped closer to her side. “Oh my god, girl, you scared me! I had no idea who you were from the back for a second there cause all I could see was that wig. Nice new do, though, it looks gorgeous on you!”

Onika took the compliment with reprieve that she didn’t look outlandish with it on. “Aww bitch, you really think so?”

“Absolutely!” Alexis confirmed fervidly, her eyes assessing their surroundings with raised brows. “Hold on, are you in here to just try some wigs on for fun, or are trying to decide which one you want to actually keep?”

Onika whirled around to look herself over in the mirror again, smoothing her hair here and there with her fingers. “I think I might actually want this wig. It's already kinda grown on me. Plus, I really think I need a new look.”

“What do you mean ‘you need a new look’, girl? You looked beautiful the way you were before so you don’t need nothing’s help. You’re actually lucky to have natural beauty, Onika, don't forget that.” Alexis reminded her, stepping away to try on an orange and purple afro wig so she could see how she looked in it in the mirror.

“I'm not talking about beauty, baby. I know I got that shit on lock.” Onika griped while subduing a giggle at how outrageous Alexis looked in that wig. “I'm talking about...the old me. You know, before all this 'imprison her underground and ‘throw the key away’ bullshit these assholes put me in so I wouldn't see the light of day ever again?”

Alexis quaked in remembrance and expelled the wig from her head. She gave Onika a distressed look before deviating the subject matter elsewhere. “Okay so...what’s wrong with the old Onika then?”

“Thats the thing, I wouldn't fucking know, Alexis! I have no idea who that Onika was!” Onika underlined, throwing up her hands in irritation before depositing them on her hips to keep them from smacking mannequin heads off the shelves in resentment. “And it's beginning to get on my fucking nerve about the kind of life she had lived that I’ll never get to know it. But wearing this wig, I can be anyone I wanna be because it’s not Onika’s, it’s nobody’s. All the suffering I’ve felt since I regained consciousness already seemed to have evaporated the second I put this wig on. It's actually kind of harmonious for once not to be vexed by past ghosts that you can’t even see.”

Alexis placed the wig back and deliberated over Onika’s speech. “Well, the way I see it, if that wig is making you feel better already than wear it. I'm sure everyone will agree you look sexy as hell anyway either way.” Holding up a hand to pause Onika from speaking, Alexis went on in a severe tone. “Just promise me if you’re gonna decide to wear wigs now that it won't be any of these crazy ass ones.”

Onika threw her head back and laughed, then shook her head in accord. “Okay, I promise that MAYBE I won't wear those wigs. Who knows, I might feel even better wearing that mohawk over there one of these days rather than this one.”

“Please, don't!” Alexis protested before Onika hauled her into a sisterly embrace. They both burst out into laughter again seconds after.

“Alright, you two.” A voice interrupted them. “I have one question on my mind right now for you guys.”

Both brown eyes turned to observe Natasha and Demitria hovering by the entrance with barely concealed excitement on their faces.

“Oh lord, what the fuck is it now?” Onika dared to ask, freeing Alexis to cross her arms over her chest as she sent a skeptical look at Natasha.

“Why the fuck are you bitches doing in THIS boring store when you can be shopping with us in the OTHER more prestigious stores!?” Natasha demanded in excitement, curving her arm through Demetria’s who was just as restless to explore the clothes.

“Yeah you guys, come on! We've come across some really nice stores along the way here.” Demitria managed to sing in temptation, before Natasha left her side to begin towing Onika and Alexis off by their hands to said stores.

“Alright, alright, bitch!” Onika relinquished between laughs, allowing herself to be dragged away from her somber thoughts for a day of enjoyment and welcoming interference from her gloomy thoughts. “We’re coming!”