Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 72: Danger Besides Yourself?

“So, can we give him his stuff?” Demitria called to Bert, anticipating his permission in allowing them to donate tidy clothes and hygienic items for Hermanni to bathe himself since he was locked up and therefore restricted from savoring a shower unlike the rest of them.

“I guess there’s no harm in it.” Bert grunted, then concluded the discussion by stepping in between a scuffle that looked to be bristling between Connor and Bam once again in the last twenty minutes since they started to include more security to the Electronic store that kept Hermanni enclosed.

“Sweet!” Alexis effused, just as enthusiastic as the rest of the four girls zealously charging forward alongside her to reach Hermanni’s cell so they could fleetingly visit with him for as long as they could.

Hermanni was already awaiting them by the front of the cage to receive them, his hands curled around the cold black bars. He could sense their enthrallment for him blooming within them, and was vastly satisfied by it. It would come in handy when the time came. How? He didn’t quite know himself. “Good morning, ladies. You all look remarkably breathtaking today in your garbs. You truly know how to halt a man’s breath when you walk into a room.”

“Well, I’ve been known to halt a heart or two in my free days, if you get my drift.” Natasha gloated, flipping her long dark bone straight hair over her shoulders to strike an instinctive model-like stance.

Onika shot her a reprehensible look, her brown eyes browsing her up and down in judgement. “Honey, you looking real thirsty right now. You might want to get yourself a glass of water and settle down before you hurt yourself.”

Before Natasha could counter the backlash, Alexis stepped forward and raised a hand towards both females to prohibit a fight breaking out between the two. “Knock it off, you two! I’m sure Hermanni was speaking to all of us, not one of us in particular.”

Not comprehending his words would spawn some antagonism between the two, Hermanni certified this to be so in hopes it would make peace between the two ladies. “Alexis is right. I meant each of you, for you have your own unique elegance that cannot be imitated by the other. It is truly rare to yourselves.”

“...oh.” Natasha replied, looking sheepish for jumping to the outcome that he was describing her and not anyone else. “Right.”

“And besides, we don’t have much time left here before Bert dismisses us.” Alexis warned them. “So, squabbling amongst each other can wait for another time.”

Onika nodded along with the others. Alexis was right, they didn’t have time for frivolous dissent. Their time with Hermanni was limited. Stepping closer to the gate, Onika locked eyes with Hermanni, felt her cheeks warm, and gave him a smile as she began to force her stockpile of clothes through the grates. “Thank you very much, Hermanni, that was really sweet of you to say. Here, take these.”

“We found some clothes we'd think you'd like.” Demitria notified him, biting her lower lip shyly as she handed over some towels and a bar of soap. “And thought you might want to clean yourself off since you can’t leave this store to get to the showers.”

Hermanni flashed a plain smile that looked downright sexy as he welcomed the components meant to lessen his hardships. “Oh, you did not have to trouble yourselves for me. But thank you very much anyway.” Frowning down at the components he set down by his feet, he said. “Unfortunately, I do not know what I can do to properly show you my gratitude from in here.”

“How about the next time you break out again come find us, we can hang together.” Natasha recommended, surprisingly drawing the support from her girls. The horrid thing was, she meant every word.

“I would love to, but...I think it would be better for me to be on my best behavior for the sake of the others. I will do my best not to sneak out again, and instead wait to be let out like they expect me to. There would be less stress on their shoulders that way.” Hermanni grieved, feeling bad for spurning their proposition.

“Well, that sucks.” Onika uttered, moping along with the others. What she wouldn’t give to be around Hermanni without a gate between them. She couldn’t relish the succinct moments they had together before they made it to the isolated mall, because their lives were constantly being threatened, but now for the first time they were safe, and Hermanni HAD to get himself in trouble and locked up. Bert said it was for the best, and Onika was trying to believe his words, but...her heart declined to. “Perhaps then we could chill.”

“I cannot wait.” Hermanni grinned with excitement, his face seeming to almost glow with exhilaration.

“Oh wait!” Natasha cut in, turning her head to the bucket of water by Alexis’s side. “How are we supposed to get the bowl of hot water in there for him to wash?”

“You can just leave it on the floor by the cage.” Hermanni directed, monitoring Alexis obeying his instruction. “I will still be able to complete the task just fine.”

“There we go.” Alexis reported once she had located it close enough within his arm's reach, and straightened back up.

“Alright ladies, time for you all to move out! This place is officially off limits until further notice!” Connor declared, cupping his hands around his mouth so he could be heard over their chitchat. He ignored their protests of being hindered as he closed the distance to them so he wouldn’t have to shout. Jerking his thumb towards Hermanni, Connor added in with a knowing grin. “And I'm sure Hermanni would love to wash himself in private, so scat!”

Watching the group of ladies grumble away, Bert finally stepped forward now that they were unattended. “Can I go to sleep tonight and trust that I won’t have to worry about you getting out again?”

Hermanni nodded in affirmation and smiled to reassure him. “Yes, sir! I am sorry for breaking out before. It will not happen again...unless there is danger, of course.”

“You mean danger besides yourself?” Bert inspected, arching an inquisitive brow at him.

Hermanni’s smile declined as he spoke solemnly. “I am not dangerous to you or the others, Bert.”

“I wish I could believe that, but I can’t take that chance right now. There is too much riding at stake, I’m sure you understand.” Bert expressed, crossing his arms over his chest where he sported a black T-shirt, black long shorts, and white socks sticking out of black sneakers. It was the same style he leaned towards before he was locked up.

“You will, in due time.” Hermanni ensured him with a soft smile.

“I hope you’re right.” Bert muttered before following the others.