Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 78: Team Tango

Bert cautiously snooped over the railing of the top floor outside the mattress store for any stirring of danger while the girls withdrew deeper inside, awaiting his order on what to do next since the power abruptly went out for the first time with no reason. Behind his back, Bam, Cris and Connor were exchanging muffled plans amongst each other in low tones from where they were hunched together. They felt they had to do something in the meantime while awaiting a clue from Bert on what to do. “Something isn’t right here. I think we should get the fuck out of this mall just in case someone cut the power!” Bam hissed quietly, his paranoia running berserk and breaking him out in a cold sweat. “Quick, if we move now we might make it to the exit before anyone sees us!”

“First of all, we don’t know what cut the power just now. It could have been anything! This place is pretty old.” Cris recounted, not wanting to think of the worse possibility right off the bat like Bam. They had no idea why the power failed, but that also didn’t mean the soldiers had located them...but on the off chance Bam was right, Cris had to ponder that as well. “And second of all, where in the world would we go next? Where could we hide from these assholes so they won’t find us?”

“I don’t fucking know! Just...anywhere but here!” Bam hectically blurted, not having the slightest idea of a Plan B himself. Other than escaping, everything else was blank.

“But those soldiers could be anywhere out there too!” Cris pointed out. “If we step out of this place we can run straight into them in seconds!”

“Look, IF someone broke in here and cut the power off, whether a team of qualified soldiers or a horde of psycho patients, we can fight them better off in here.” Connor implored softly to Bam and Cris. “We have a good chance!”

“No fucking way in hell can we take those soldiers down on our own!” Bam hissed at him in protest. “Have you seen their fucking guns!?”

“Connor, that idea is way too dangerous! What are we supposed to fight back with? Pillows?!” Cris exclaimed, horrified by the thought. They wouldn’t stand a chance!

“No, you idiots, with weapons! We’re in a mall, for fuck’s sakes. If there ain’t no guns here then there’s bound to be something else we can use to defend ourselves with!” Connor reminded them, gesturing with a swing of his arm to the assorted stores surrounding them on both floors.

“NO, we need to fucking leave now while we still can!” Bam maintained a little too loudly, luring Bert’s immediate attention.

“No damnit, we’re all too scared out of our wits to take that chance! Cris is right, there could be more of them out there with vans waiting to cart us back to that facility!” Bert sustained.

“Then what do you suggest we do, God?” Bam spat, reaping a glare from Bert for calling him that.

“Wait, we can try and slip upstairs into the manager’s office! Maybe they won’t search this place that far up.” Connor posed, indicating above their heads.

“How bout we just stay here instead?” Cris advised without thinking, his mind having become a trembling mess falling apart as the seams.

“No, Connor’s right! They’re gonna scour all the floors thoroughly, so it’d be best if we’re in the manager’s office. That’s our only hope left.” Bert ultimately decided.

Everyone nodded and began to follow Connor’s lead, all except for Bert who remained where he was canvassing over the rail. Onika called out to him softly, waving him to accompany them. “Bert, come on! What the hell are you still doing standing there?”

“I can’t go. Otep never came back from her walk, she’s still down there!” Bert notified her, not sparing her a glance so she wouldn’t see the fright on his face. He barely whispered. “They might find her...” _____________________________________________________________________________________
The five soldiers that breached the mall were meticulously combing the first floor and the infinite stores inside, having to depend on their flashlights and sharp senses to espy anything nearby in hopes of nabbing the notorious Subject V. Yes, being in the military they’ve heard all the stories about the everlasting demon, and each believed in it as much as they believed in Santa Claus. There was no such thing as monsters that have those kinds of powers. The only monsters treading this world were the real menace to the United States of America, and every one of those monsters will meet their maker soon with the aid of an American bullet through the head. Will, Brandon, Logan, T.J and Michael were Team Tango out of twenty six squadrons on convoy out there, and sniping down these escaped youngsters was their side mission. They’d even kept scores, William having the highest body counts thus far. Detaining Subject V would be an automatic win if they were lucky enough to catch him. Little did they know, it was their lucky day.

“Do you guys think that whiny bitch Maricruz will call me back? I mean when I told her it was over, do you think maybe she literally thought I meant our relationship?” Brandon couldn’t resist inquiring, his mind seeming to be on his own personal matters. Maricruz and Brandon had been dating two weeks before their first serious dispute had erupted between the two at the worst time possible with him being overseas. Hoping to get home the instant he landed on American soil, Brandon had unexpectedly been ordered back in to apprehend some ‘boogie man’ in an unknown town called Silence Falls.

“Brandon, you seriously need to get your head out of your ass and back on the mission, man. Focus!” Logan snapped, cuffing Brandon upside the head when he came up covertly behind him, receiving the middle finger. Logan didn’t care about anyone else’s problems, he had more pressing issues of his own to think of. He has been gay for the last four months and since that one drunken night where TJ and Logan ended up in bed together at a bachelor party, he’s been trying so hard to keep away from him. T.J didn’t seem to recall anything about that crazy night other than his ass being sore in the morning, and he just presumed some erotic stripper had stuck something up there while they were having sex and didn’t really second guess it.

And for the other two, Michael and William have been friends since high school. Michael was now dating the most perfect woman in the world in his eyes and William was married with a baby girl. “Movement at your three, Will.” Michael whispered, aiming down his gun as the group came to a rapid halt in front of an Electronic store. The store was dark except for some small visibility near the gated entrance.

“What did you see?” Logan mouthed to Michael, searching his deep brown eyes.

“Human.” Michael mouthed back, shining a light through the black gate and upon a slim form standing on the other side. Other’s lights followed to unveil a young boy wearing dark jeans and a black tee with porcelain clear skin and long ebony hair to his shoulders. His head was down so his face was unidentifiable behind the curtain of hair. The men collectively tensed up and held their breaths, their fingers hovering over the triggers of their loaded rifles.

“Identify yourself!” Logan ordered the boy, his tone daring. Hermanni raised his head, displaying his immaculate features to the armed men. The soldiers calmly lowered their weapons in a hypnotic trance. This young boy's looks were bewitching. His full lips, small perfect nose, his radiant eyes…wait...

“PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND GET THE FUCK DOWN ON THE FLOOR RIGHT NOW!” TJ hollered, returning his aim directly over the young boy’s heart, and breaking his comrades out of their reveries. “I SAID LET ME SEE YOUR MOTHERFUCKING HANDS AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR!”