Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 81: Gone Without A Trace

Hermanni pouted to himself, not really feeling like he had to think of an explanation to Otep’s question because it was pretty discernable as to why he felt it was vital to permeate their minds. “Because if I stay out then I would never know the truth you will not speak.” Needing to further simplify to a perplexed Otep, he continued. “Otep, I want you all to be safe, and peaceful. I cannot produce that if I do not peek into your minds at times to learn how to make that happen. Trust me, I know the difference between the thoughts that are confidential, and the ones that are of no importance. Mentally and physically I am learning that there are bounds I should not cross. For example, I avoid going anywhere where I am not welcomed such as the mattress store upstairs. You have seen for yourself tonight that this elementary cage could never hold me in, yet I remain within it to make you all comfortable.”

He had a point. With her own two eyes the guy had easily strolled through the black metal bars like it was a simulation! He could have bolted the second they shut him in all along, but he hadn’t. He stayed planted inside allowing the people around him to gain a false sense of security. But not everyone was still leery of him. She thought he should know this. Otep voiced. “I...appreciate that actually. But you have the wrong idea about all of us seeing you as a risk to our safety. We’re all pretty half and half when it comes down to letting you out of the Electronic store.” She paused for a moment before stepping forward. “Look, you make a pretty plausible argument to your case here as outlandish as it all sounds. Hell, you even got me believing that you’re more equal to Superman than Lex Luthor so...god, I can’t believe I’m even saying this right now, but...is there some way we can convince the others that you’re not a jeopardy to us too? That’s the only way I can see us getting you out of your prison.”

“I am not sure. I do not know how to make them see that if I wanted to harm them, I could have done so already. This cage cannot hold me back from you, and my powers do not wane day or night. But I fear simply imparting this might make them jittery about me, and I do not want that.” Hermanni reached out to gingerly take one of her hands in his. “I do NOT want to harm any one of you, Otep, I swear this. I do not see the point in doing so. There would be no sadistic joy from it for I am not one of those blood-thirsty monsters who takes pleasure in cutting lives. You and your friends have all given me a purpose to crawl out of the ground to the surface world with you...and in return I am gladly willing to give you all my powers for protection...and as a weapon against the evil out there if need be.”

“Let me get this straight...you want to be our protector?” Otep reiterated, her hand that stiffened in his soothing hold at first now began to melt in his consoling warmth.

“Yes, I most desperately want to protect you all if you will have me.” Hermanni confirmed with a confident nod.

Dubious, Otep narrowed her eyes at him. He HAD been their protector though, hadn’t he? Long before they left the facility. “Would it be the same way you’ve been protecting us from the beginning before our escape from the facility?”

Hermanni looked down at his feet as he compelled himself to profess the truth. She deserved nothing but honesty, especially because she said was handling this all so well. Then again, the invincible link between them was keeping her placid. “Yes, the very same way. Every odd happenings that had taken place since we met has been my doing. I was protecting you all even during the times we were apart.”

Otep remained mummed for a long time, taking all this remarkable material in before looking him in the eyes and stating wondrously. “Holy shit, man...I believe you. I believe everything you said from the bottom of my heart.” It didn’t make sense to her how she approved all of this so easily. Questionably, she glared at him. “Hold on, are you using one of your powers o-”

Unexpectedly, a rowdy sound rang through the mall, obstructing them as she lurched back from him and surveyed her settings. The lights above began to flicker back to life again as the power kicked back into gear again. Otep and Hermanni looked up to the fixtures suspended above them and then their surroundings before they were instantly blinded by the abrupt luminosity. Otep winced but was relieved to have them back on nevertheless.

“OTEP!” Bert called out, skidding around the corner towards them with the other guys in tow. As they closed the distance, Otep was swept into Bert’s arms before she could utter a word. “Jesus Christ, woman! You took thirty years off of my goddamn life!”

The others amassed around them with smiles on their faces and to jointly impart their relief that she was okay as well. Cris ran both hands through his long brown hair, his blue eyes twinkling with glee. “We were terrified the worst had happened to you! That someone broke in and kidnapped you!”

“Or flayed you.” Bam added in, reaping glares from the others. “What!? What the fuck you all looking at me like that for?! It can happen!”

Connor was the first to detect that Hermanni was there and once again outside his cage. Frowning at the foreign boy who merely beamed back at him, he disclosed to the others. “Um, guys. The foreign guy is out of his cage again.”

Bert locked eyes with Hermanni and exhaled through his nose with irritation. HIs eyes sailed to the cage where the chains and padlocks were pooled on the floor in front of it. Was Hermanni also culpable for the lights going out too? “Otep, please tell me you’re the reason he got out and that he didn’t break out to fucked with our power!”

Otep swiftly stepped back to stand beside Hermanni, placing a hand on his shoulder in support as she opened her mouth to dupe the others for him. “Yes, I broke him out of there.”

“And why the fuck did you go ahead and do that for?!” Bam demanded to know.

“The soldiers were in here! I was gonna head back to you guys, but it didn’t feel right to leave an innocent kid behind to die by their hands.” Otep defended while Hermanni wasn’t paying any attention to the dispute. He seemed to be spacing out, his face deadpan like he was in a trance.

“Innocent!?” Bam spat, turning around to laugh and shake his head. “Says fucking who?”

“Back up, Otep!” Bert intercepted. “What REALLY happened down here? And where did these soldiers run off to? I don’t see anyone else here, but us.”

“Don’t see anyone else? They’re right over the“ Otep wheeled around to show them even though her skin shuddered at the thought of viewing those dead bodies again, especially having attended their deaths. But when she spun around the bodies were gone without a trace. No guns, no knives, no blood, no bodies. All there was were the chains and padlocks from the Electronic store on the ground, but...they hadn’t ever been touched much less removed! What the hell is going on here, Otep thought, and where did all the bodies go!?

“Well!?” Bert spurred, both of his brows raised impatiently. “Where did the soldiers go?”

“They…” Otep tried to respond. But she had no answers. Desperately, she swirled her gaze to Hermanni for assistance. The moment his eyes locked on hers she knew what had happened. She knew because he showed her with his eyes. He discarded the bodies by using his abilities. He had abolished every evidence that those soldiers ever existed within the mall. She frowned at him, not comprehending why at first until she remembered their conversation a few minutes ago. Hermanni was fixed to protect them, and this was how he chose to do it, by making sure the others didn’t know about the soldiers in the first place. She wouldn’t have known either if she hadn’t strayed down there tonight. She'd be none the wiser like the rest of them will be. Only now, she will be the only one who knows. Having no choice but to deceive again, she shrugged wearily and said. “I forgot they had left. They had come in, hardly snooped around, and then left without a word.”