Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 85: Pros and Cons

“What have you both decided?” Natasha probed Otep and Bert as she chomped into a strawberry from one of the bowls of assorted fruits Hermanni thoughtfully took the time to clean, and diced for them.

“That’s the thing...Otep and I elected that this is something we need to agree on together. As in ALL of us.” Bert proclaimed as he linked his hands together and sat back on one of the couches stationed in the Smoothie Cafe they were convened in.

The other members glanced at each other in awe. Never had they had to make a paramount resolution like this before. Yeah, it’s true that sometimes they interchanged small tips that were put under consideration, but never when it came to the final word. The constraint and duty already felt substantial on their shoulders about now. If this was something inconsequential then it wouldn’t feel like they were teetering at the edge of a fatal cliff, but because Otep and Bert came to them in an air of dread, everyone knew that this was something that they had to gravely ruminate on.

“Fuck. Okay, what are the plans then?” Connor solicited, nudging his depleted glass towards Hermanni, and giving him an indication to refill it. He graciously did.

“Well, we’ve been in this mall for some time, and as wonderful as it’s been we need to start deliberating on whether we want to continue on with our previous mission - that I’m inclined to regard is on hiatus at the moment - or if we’re going to contemplate making this our new home for the time being?” Bert detailed, reminding everyone that not too long ago they were indeed running for their lives. What has happened since then? All of a sudden they had all become so complacent in this new place that the danger outside became nonexistent. Have they been living in ignorance all this time?

Hermanni sighted the others erratically glance around, or down onto their laps. He could read their thoughts and equally feel their distress. They were pondering if they had been misleading themselves this whole time as an outcome of some sort of mental breakdown from their many near death experiences. Hermanni couldn’t blame them for thinking so considering that they had been through an astounding number of dangers as of late. Still, he didn’t repent what he had to do to save them, the lives he’d pilfered, and the phony sense of security he had spawned to finally be able to give them a small scrap of prosperity. Yes, this mall and everything they saw was a fabrication to some extent, but he couldn’t help himself. He just wanted the people he cared for to no longer live in terror. Teleporting them to another area wasn’t something he hadn’t completely mastered before and so instead he was left with…altering their minds and emotions in small amounts. Hermanni bit his lip as he wondered if he was truly an awful person for what he’s done. Did it make him a lousy friend, or an appalling protector?

“Well, let’s weigh out our options here. What are the pros and cons if we stay here, and what are the pros and cons if we leave?” Cris quizzed them, thought not really wanting to know himself. Ignorance was truly bliss and he’s been relishing every second of it.

“If we stay, we have this incredible place to live in. We have food, beds, clothes, and other things we could dream of acquiring. And it’s all for free. The bad part is that this mall is still a part of the town of Silence Falls which makes us practically neighbors to those pricks that jailed us in the first place.” Otep willingly listed out. “Also, we have to consider the possibility that we may someday run out of supplies and have to infiltrate that same town to get them. We could get arrested again or shot if we’re spotted.”

Bert went on, expounding their second plan. “Now if we leave this town we might get a chance at a real life FAR away from the reaches of this place. We could find love, get married, start a family, get a lousy job, get addicted to drugs, go to college, start a dream career, or travel the world! But...there is also a chance that we will perish long before we could reach the main road.”

“What we want you all to keep in mind is that both of these choices could end up with us dead either way. But how you want to go out is all up to you.” Otep wrapped it up, as she finished the last of her drink.

The cafe fell into reticence. Demitria slowly shook her head before whispering loud enough for Onika, Alexis and Natasha to hear. “But I don’t want to die! Whichever decision we make I want the bottom line to be that we’ll survive. I want a second chance to live, not have it taken away from me!”

Alexis grabbed Demitria’s hands. “I know, honey. Neither of us want to lose our second shot.”

“We only lived life once and that was nowhere near enough time.” Onika put in, looking down at her lap as she draped her arm around Demitria.

The males turned to face the bar for privacy, lowering their voices as they talked it out among themselves. Lowering his head to the bar counter, it made a small thud on contact and Cris groaned from the brief pain. “Please god, don’t tell me we have to relive this nightmare a second time again!”

“What did you expect? That we’d make it to the mall and everything would be over?” Bam hissed, smacking his empty glass away, and almost causing it to dive and shatter to the floor if not for the bartender rescuing it.

“I guess so! I mean, Otep said they came for us already, and haven’t returned yet!” Cris hashed, lifting his head to glare at Bam. “I guess that was stupid of me to think they automatically gave up too, huh?”

“No matter how much fun we’ve been having lately, how repose we’ve been living and how thrilled we were...reality was always waiting for us on the outside.” Connor lamented with a shake of his head. “It didn’t just throw in the towel! It’s biding its time before charging back in and knocking us off our feet when we least expect it.”

“What do you guys think we should do then?” Cris challenged them both, handing his diminished drink to Hermanni who stood by wordlessly wiping the counter down.

“I don’t know! I don’t want to fucking think about it right now!” Bam fiercely admitted. “I can’t handle another round of that bullshit again!”

“As much as I wanna get the fuck out of this town once and for all, I’m not in a rush to get up and go right now. I like it here too. This is a vacation measuring up to the flying bullets outside in the swamps. I think we should stay here awhile, and then head off later.” Connor shared, swallowing the last of the smoothie.

“Why the fuck would you wanna leave in the first place anyway?” Bam disproved. “We have everything we could possibly ask for here! Besides, it’s much safer in here than it is out there.”

“Because, you idiot, they can always come back! Just because they entered and left doesn’t mean they won’t return again and catch us off guard! I don’t know about you, but I don’t wanna be here when that happens.” Connor retorted.

Cris nodded. “I like Connor’s idea too. I’m not ready to die yet, so I guess staying here would give us some time before my clock stops ticking. What do you think, Hermanni?”

Hermanni looked up from rubbing the counter down to see three pairs of eyes on him. Caught off guard, he hastily made his choice and cleared his throat. “I believe Connor’s idea is most commendable to everyone. I know you prefer it here, and yearn for this small piece of paradise to never end. After all you have been through, you all merit some rest and relaxation. For now, remaining here is what you all need. War can come later.”