Status: Redo of my old story

Silence Falls

Chapter 92: Questioning

“Yes, of course. Please, ask whatever it is that is on your minds.” Hermanni heartened them with a welcoming nod.

Alexis smiled gratefully at him before finding herself delayed by the first question being flung out at Hermanni that was not her own. It was Demitira who was unaware of her impolite interception as she pleaded ardently to Hermanni. “Tell us about your mother! What was she like?”

“My mother was a dazzling woman with a voice so passionate and strong that the very gates of heaven would open so that her melody could circulate into the Kingdom of God for all the angels to hear. She had emerald green eyes, pale skin, and orange hair with a unique blond streak that was her birthmark. She loved to sing, and laugh. Her laughter and her silly jokes were so heartwarming that no smiles could not resist from emerging. She was an attentive mother... one of a kind really.” Hermanni felt the familiar warmth in his heart brought on by her memory. Sometimes if he thought of her hard enough, his ears would tingle with the sound of her voice singing to him.

“What about your father?” Natasha inquired next, cutting off Alexis this time before she could speak. “Was he around while you were growing up?”

Hermanni nodded, not able to suppress the glorious smile bursting forth from within as he remembered his father. “My father was a handsome, upbeat kind of man and an outstanding provider for his family. He had a smile that could ease the misfortune of anyone within his reach, no matter what affliction they had sustained. He was tall, tanned from the sun, hair the color of gold, and eyes an ocean blue. MY father was always there for us. No one could separate him from my mother, sister or I.”

Hold on, you never mentioned a sister before!” Onika gasped, appalled that this boy next to her that she wouldn’t mind falling into bed with herself had a sister!

“Oh yes, my little sister. Our relationship was not like most sibling relationships for we never bickered. From the moment she was born with her dark hair, violet eyes and pale skin, I knew it was not only my parent’s job to safeguard her, but mine as well. I kept her from danger by whatever harbored such devastation with it. My sister was an angel that I only ever wanted to be safe, and happy…but-” Hermanni’s voice broke off and he averted his head away for a moment. His green and blue eyes filled with the misery of his past. The lump in his throat hindered him from apologizing to them so all he could do was sit there and even out his breathing again.

Understandably, the girls knew Hermanni was suffering from sorrows from his past, but that didn’t deter them from coming to his aid. Demitria and Alexis each took hold of each of his balled up fists to alleviate the tensed muscles by massaging them with soothing caresses. Onika and Natasha each held onto one of his arms and ran one hand down his back, trying to calm the pangs within him. Soft tones of their voices whispered solace to him, and became the targeted sound his ears honed in on as his misery gradually began to evaporate away. Hermanni continued to sit there long after the pain had gone, and was now merely savoring the feel, warmth and closeness of these exquisite girls coddling him. He wanted to remain like this forever, but that would be selfish of him. Taking a deep breath, he praised them for their kindness. “Thank you for your comfort. I am feeling much better now.”

“No, don't speak. Let me apologize first.” Onika cut in, her hold on his arm tightening with self-loathing for depressing him. “I‘m so sorry for upsetting you, Hermanni. I shouldn't have asked that question to begin with.”

“No please, do not think you are to be blamed for my gloominess, you were merely curious about my past and there is nothing wrong with that.” Hermanni quickly assured her. “I am the one sorry for making you unnerved for asking your question when you meant no harm.”

“Oh c’mon, it’s obviously my fault!” Onika dissented, refusing to allow him to make her feel better. She didn’t deserve it.

“No one is to blame here, people! We’re all good now anyway so let’s forget about it and talk about something more...jolly.” Alexis recommended, winning nods from the others minus Hermanni.

“Does that mean you do not wish to ask me more questions?” Hermanni inquired with a frown. “Please do not let my small moment of weakness impede your curious minds.”

“Are you sure, Hermanni? We don’t really have to do this now, we can do it another time.” Demitria assured him, not wanting to see him discontent again. Hermanni‘s agony was not worth any questions in all the world no matter how enigmatic he was.

“Yes, I am positively sure. Continue on with your questions.” Hermanni energized them.

The girls sat there for a few minutes, not preferring to be the one to unsettle him with their nosy queries first. Soon, one of them managed to conjure one up that hopefully wouldn’t dishearten him again.

“Your accent sounds like you’ve lived in another country before you came here. What country was that and when exactly did you come to America?” Natasha began carefully, her eyes never leaving his face as each word was spoken.

“I was born and raised in Helsinki, Finland before we journeyed to America when I was around 8 years old.” Hermanni answered, showing no sign of grief. If he did, they’d clamp shut again.

“What was it like there?” Demitria inquired, also watching his every move closely.

“Very cold in the winter, but very lovely in the summer.” Hermanni summarized.

“What school did you go to when you came to America?” Onika questioned, raising a brow.

“My sister and I were home schooled by our mother.” Hermanni replied with a nod.

“Aw, that sucks. Did you have any friends?” Demitria asked, feeling bad that he was isolated at home.

Hermanni shook his head, but smiled as he said. “No, my sister and I had no friends, just each other.”

“At all!?” Natasha blurted with wide eyes. “Jesus, I would die! Why didn’t you have any friends?”

“We were branded ‘losers’, I believe.” Hermanni explained. “Others seemed to detest our presence and avoided us at all costs. Whenever they did have something to say, it was never nice.”

The whole time the other three went back and forth questioning Hermanni, Alexis had sat by quietly. Unlike her friends, she wasn't captivated with learning EVERY little thing she could about him. Rather it was only ONE single thing she wanted to know. As the girls went on and on with their questions, Alexis started to second guess asking hers, contemplating if she should revise upon it first. Observing his face at present, she knew she didn’t want to upset him just as much as the others didn't. Over time, she has grown to cherish her friends for their favorable and lousy flaws, including Hermanni, so naturally she didn't want to disconcert either members. However, this pestering question wouldn’t stop popping up into her mind every time she was around him and wouldn’t go away no matter how hard she tried to overlook it. It had to be asked now, or never, and what better time than the present?