Status: Rewrite - somewhat active

Sunshine

t e n

"Ladybug," Alex's voice drifted through my door. I stumbled out of bed and opened the door. "Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were still sleeping." I shrugged. "It's almost noon, why don't you come down and have lunch with us? Chris and Dave are here too."

"No thanks," I whispered. "I don't feel very good. I think I'm coming down with something."

"Okay, well let me know if you need anything," he offered. I nodded and closed the door. I eyed the handle, wishing as always that I could lock it. I made my way back to the bed. I had only been lying a little bit when I told Alex that I was sick. I definitely did feel feverish. I climbed back under the covers and lay there shivering until I fell asleep.

I drifted in and out of sleep. I kept dreaming of my stepdad - except they were memories. I tossed and turned for hours until someone knocked on my bedroom door again. I groaned but still got up to answer it. This time it was Lisa.

"Hey honey, I just wanted to check on you. Alex told us you were sick. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Better I guess," I lied. My whole body ached and even breathing felt like a chore. I couldn't explain that to her though - lying was easier.

"Can I do anything for you?" She offered. I shook my head.

"No, I'm okay, thank you." Lisa frowned.

"Are you sure there isn't something you want to talk about? You haven't seemed much like yourself since you got here," she said. "Your dad and I are starting to worry. Was what the people at the hospital said true? Was someone hurting you at your mom's house?"

"No." I lied again. She bit her lip. I was pretty sure she didn't believe me but it didn't matter. "No one hurt me."

"Okay honey, I'll let you get some rest then," Lisa said quietly. I closed the door and sank to the floor. My room was dark now but I didn't make my way back to bed. Instead I curled into a ball on the carpet.