Status: Rewrite - somewhat active

Sunshine

f i f t e e n

"What the hell is going on down here?" Chris asked angrily. I squeezed my eyes closed tightly. I knew better than to answer the question. They wouldn't believe me anyway.

"I'm sorry, we thought we were being quiet," Dave apologized smoothly. I felt a blanket drape across me. "There you go baby, here let me help you up." He lifted me to my feet and put his arm around my shoulders. He had at some point pulled on sweatpants but all I had was a small blanket from the couch. He started to lead me toward the stairs.

"Hold on a second," Mark said. "What I saw did not look like sex that a couple would be having. I don't think Abby wanted to have sex with him."

"What are you saying Mark?" Chris questioned. I kept my eyes on my feet.

"Look at those bruises on her neck," Alex pointed out. "Dave, why don't you step away from the girl."

"Come on man, what goes on between me and my girl is our private business," Dave snapped. Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me away from him. I didn't speak or look up.

"Abigail, think about it before you answer this," Chris ordered. "Did you want to have sex with Dave tonight?" I didn't really need to think about the answer. I shook my head.

"Aw baby, you don't have to lie to them, you're not in trouble," Dave told me. I pulled the blanket tighter around my small body. Finally I gathered my courage and looked up. Alex was the one who had pulled me away from Dave. He was looking at me patiently, his warm brown eyes full of concern. I held his gaze as I spoke.

"He-" My voice came out as a high-pitched squeak. I cleared my throat and tried to speak again. "No." I began to cough and gasp for air.

"I think we should call mom and dad," Mark said.

"Look, it's the middle of the night and I don't think everyone is being rational," Chris said calmly. "Maybe we shouldn't be too hasty. If Abigail made a decision that she now regrets, we don't need that to ruin Dave's life."

Chris's continuing loyalty to his friend stung. This was playing out exactly how I had thought it would. I didn't say another word. I trudged up the stairs alone without looking back. When I reached the bedroom I curled up under the covers. I lay there in the dark with my eyes open for a long time.