Status: Rewrite - somewhat active

Sunshine

n i n e t e e n

I drifted in and out of sleep for the night. It was hard to stay awake and I suspected that I was being medicated. When I woke up in the morning I was alone. I tried to ease back into the comfort of sleep but my body refused now.

After a few minutes a man came through with a food of tray. He put it on the table beside my bed but I didn't move toward it. Shortly after he left Dr. Cameron came in. I tried to sit up but only got up a little further than I already was. Dr. Cameron adjusted the bed so I was sitting up and then sat beside me.

"Hello Abigail, how are you feeling?" He greeted me. I shrugged and turned my head away from him. I heard him sigh. "I have two police officers outside, can they come in and talk to you?" I shrugged again. He stood and walked to the door.

"Abigail, my name is Detective Cooper, the is Detective Conner. Is it okay if we ask you some questions?" A man asked. I turned my head back to look at them. They were both watching me intently. Dr. Cameron hadn't left, he was standing quietly to the side behind them. I blinked slowly.

"What happened three nights ago?" Detective Conner asked. I squeezed my eyes closed. "Who did this to you?" I considered not answering but maybe they would help me.

"His name is Dave. He's friends with my stepbrother Chris. He told my family that we're dating but we aren't," I explained. "I was last here three years ago and even then he made me uncomfortable, he always touched me or was too close to me. When I came back, the first time he got me alone, he kissed me. I asked him to leave but he wouldn't. The next time he got me alone he..." I trailed off.

"It's okay honey, tell us what happened," Detective Cooper encouraged me. "All of this is evidence against him."

"He forced me to perform oral for him," I continued. "Chris walked in and that's when Dave told my family we were secretly dating. He forced me to perform oral for him two more times. Then three nights ago I tried to sneak out of the house before he could get to me. My dad and stepmom were away and he was staying over. I was scared. He grabbed me and I fought him but he was stronger than me and he kept hitting me. He pinned me down and forced himself inside me."

"Abigail, why don't you also tell them who hurt you the first time you came in?" Dr. Cameron suggested. "Who gave you all those bruises and hurt you before?"

"My stepdad." I told them the truth because I figured that it couldn't hurt me anymore.

The detectives asked me several more questions before finally leaving. When I was alone I curled into a ball on my side and began to sob.