Love and War Aren't a Game

SOLDIER

I ran my hands over the components of the sniper rifle, checking that they were in good condition. She was a beauty, fresh from the factory and not a single scratch in her black paint. I couldn’t have possibly been more grateful that Steve had been given permission to take whatever weapons he required from the warehouse for his special unit. After clicking the case lid closed, I heard the Colonel’s voice and looked over to the doorway, surprised to see the Colonel leaving behind a woman in the locker room.

“Steve Rogers. It’s nice to meet you, Ma’am,” Steve introduced himself as he held out his hand to the woman. She was petite, but I got the feeling that it was mostly her baggy men’s uniform that made her appear that way. Her face consisted of delicate features, a button nose and soft lips, further proof of why she was clearly out of place at the military base.

“I’m a soldier, not a Ma’am,” she replied with confidence while shaking Steve’s hand in a firm grip.

Intrigued, I stepped forwards and eyed her up, wondering what Steve was going to do. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t even give her a chance. The war wasn’t a place for women. They didn’t deserve to be butchered by bullets.

“Tell me why you’re interested in joining our task force, Private,” Steve asked her.

“It’s my duty to fight for my country, sir,” she answered but Steve gave a little shake of his head.

“Don’t give me that generic answer, Catherine. Be honest,” he insisted gently.

“I’m an American and I want to fight for my country. I’m more than capable, but so far no one’s been able to see past the fact that I’m a woman and apparently that makes me unfit to be a soldier. I just want to do what’s right. If I’m terrible and unskilled, then kick me off your team, but at least let me try to prove my worth on a mission. I know I can prove all of those bastards wrong,” Catherine explained and I couldn’t stop the smirk from forming on my lips. At least she had heart.

“What’s your strengths, soldier?” Steve questioned. Even though he had his back turned to me, I could hear the smile in his voice. He was actually interested in recruiting her, and I wanted to slap him silly until he remembered that the women were supposed to be at home, that they were supposed to be the ones who we were fighting for and protecting.

“I’m the best sniper at this facility, sir. No one has a better hit rate than I do over long distances, it’s in the records,” Catherine said and my grin turned into a frown. Already she had proven herself redundant; I’m the team’s sniper, and there’s no need for two.

“And your weaknesses?” Steve continued and she smiled.

“Never let anyone know your weaknesses, sir,” Catherine answered calmly.

Steve nodded with approval.

“Do you have many belongings? Will it take you long to pack?” he asked.

“No, sir, I don’t have much.”

“Good. We’re leaving in an hour. Come back once you’re packed so I can find you some guns,” Steve instructed and some tension was lost from Catherine’s stiff posture.

“Will do. Thank you, sir,” she said with a brief nod.

“And you can stop calling me sir, Steve is fine,” Steve added as Catherine was leaving, and she gave an acknowledging smile before closing the door behind her. Steve then turned around and was faced with his comrades staring blankly at him.

“What the hell was that?” I eventually questioned him when no one else found the courage to.

“What? I can’t give her a chance?” Steve replied with a small shrug of his shoulders.

“She’s a woman,” Jim pointed out but Steve still didn’t understand where we were coming from.

“The business we’re going on is too risky for a woman. Even Agent Carter would be better off sitting this one out, and you know how good she is,” Dugan clarified and a flash of understanding passed Steve’s eyes.

“She probably hasn’t even been out on the frontline before,” Gabe added.

“You heard her yourselves, she’s a soldier not a Ma’am, so we’re going to treat her as such, got it?” Steve announced and I stole a look around at the group. They clearly weren’t happy about the decision, but they weren’t going to argue. “You never know, she might prove to be useful.”

Everyone shifted back to their lockers and continued packing their equipment, but I caught Steve’s attention when he tried to pass me to reach his own station.

“Do you really think this is a good idea?” I questioned him lowly.

“Her heart’s in the right place. I think that should be encouraged, not discouraged, don’t you?” Steve replied. Despite asking a question, I knew his statement was final so I clenched my jaw and backed off. If Steve wanted a woman’s death hanging over his head, then so be it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the first time in a while that I've written from a male's POV so please let me know if I'm writing Bucky okay - any feedback is welcome! Still setting things up with this chapter, but I hope you enjoyed reading it anyway!