Love and War Aren't a Game

STEAL

The men were packing our gear into the back of the army jeep, ready to leave the dead enemy bodies behind and head back to the base, and Catherine was doing her best to help out. It was almost laughable the way she struggled with the heavier cases of weapons because she was so damn stubborn and determined to do it by herself. The endless amount of times that Jacques genuinely offered his help and was shot down with a sharp remark from her was proving to be good entertainment while I waited for Steve to finish communicating with the Colonel in the front of the jeep.

I heard the door shut and I diverted my gaze from Catherine to Steve as he approached us. Naturally my back straightened to match Steve’s new height and I pretended that I had actually been keeping watch for enemies like I was supposed to, instead of watching the rookie struggle.

“Congratulations, everyone, the Colonel is pleased with our work,” Steve announced and smiles brightened up everyone’s faces except mine.

“Of course he is, we killed every bastard in that building,” Dugan remarked and Jim chuckled.

“Where are we heading next?” Falsworth asked.

“Scouts reported a small Hydra hideout about a half day’s journey northeast of here. If you are all up for it, I’d like to head there now. We can attack when we arrive, unless anyone needs rest,” Steve explained. I looked around the group of men who were all nodding with enthusiasm to partake in another mission so soon.

“We’ve got enough ammo, we should strike now,” Gabe agreed. Eyes then fell on Catherine and she quickly noticed and looked between us all before resting her gaze on Steve.

“What?” she asked, confused and tense.

“How are you feeling? You can wait with the jeep if you wanted,” Steve offered and a scowl creased Catherine’s face.

“You’re kidding,” she blankly stated but no one responded to her. “I lied down for the entire morning; I’m not tired. Bring on the next assignment.” It was strange to hear such a strong tone come out of such a small woman, and I think it took us all by surprise. Steve’s caring nature had been misinterpreted, but Steve didn’t appear to blame her and just nodded to accept her answer.

“All right then. I’ll drive. Lieutenant Falsworth, you can ride with me and give directions,” Steve instructed and we all snapped back into action, Falsworth jumping in the front seat with Steve while the rest of us huddled on the benches in the back once the last of our ammunition was packed inside.

Much to mine and Catherine’s displeasure, we ended up being squashed against each other, Gabe keeping me in place and a wall preventing her from moving further away. We met eyes, both glancing to check the other one over, and we awkwardly gave a short smile of acknowledgement before diverting our gazes.

“I noticed you were stealing some of my kills earlier, Barnes,” Catherine said out of the blue to me, her voice quiet over the hum of the jeep’s motor and the rattling of metal as we traversed uneven terrain.

“Steal?” I repeated, trying to hide my surprise at her accusation. Catherine nodded. “I was helping you take them out. That was my job.”

“I didn’t need any help,” she remarked with a hint of bitterness. “I was hitting every single target for the first half of the mission before you decided to wake up and steal my kills.” After she finished speaking, Catherine flicked her eyes to me, staring from beneath thick eyelashes. I saw a sparkle of mischief and narrowed my eyes, uncertain of what to make of her comments.

“Your shooting was adequate…” I agreed, choosing my words carefully.

“I killed twenty-three more men than you did,” Catherine pointed out and I felt my face fall. I frowned deeply once I saw Dugan and Jacques smirking out of the corner of my eye from across the jeep.

“I bet you didn’t,” I said, trying to shrug it off.

“I started counting once you hit my target. I took down twenty-three more Hydra agents than you, and you’re supposed to be the team’s best sniper,” Catherine stated with a cheeky matter-of-fact tone.

“I am the best sniper on this team,” I insisted but I could tell that I wasn’t convincing her. She was bloody irritating, trying to prove herself as a better soldier than me in front of my men. I could feel my jaw stiffening at the thought of them losing respect for me, their sergeant, just because a measly girl had shown up and claimed to hit a few more targets.

“How about when we arrive at to our destination and get placed on sniper duty, we have a contest to see who’s better?” Catherine proposed. I wanted to wipe that grin off her face, I wanted to prove to her and the rest of the men that she shouldn’t be on our team, so I accepted her challenge.

“Fine, but don’t cry when you lose, Harper,” I remarked, taking my eyes off her in attempt to end our conversation.

“I’ll have the box of tissues waiting for you, Barnes,” Catherine replied. It took a lot to resist snapping back at her, but I controlled myself and spent the next few minutes reassuring myself that silence was the best defence right now. It was only a half day’s ride and then I would hopefully shut her up, or even get her booted from the team. Catherine didn’t belong here with us hardened men, and I sure as hell didn’t need a woman taking my spot on the team.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a bunch to paperweight and Emmachibi for the positive comments! I would love to hear people's thoughts on this chapter. Seriously, let me know if I'm writing Bucky's perspective okay! Who do you think is going to "win" the sniper challenge?