The Case of T.P. Wallace

Epilogue

Topher will never know who Thad was.

As Topher scrunches his nose at the sight of the stained paper, he reluctantly picks it up and squints. “Dear Nia, I’m writing to you -- are you sure you want to listen to this, mom?” Topher asks quickly, pushing the yellow stained paper down on the table. “I mean, are you okay listening to me read this?”

As he arches his head, Topher narrows his bubbly eyes at the letter. He looks confused, almost the same way Thad looked when he was puzzled.

I place a hand around Topher’s shoulders and nod. I swallow, “The man who wrote this letter was pretty important to me. And I want you to read it. He knew so little about anything outside my life from the hospital so he wrote during the shifts I’ve had at CH.”

I blink harshly as I try to keep my breath even.

“Was he a friend, mom?” Topher asks, hinting his confusion in his voice. My son watches me nod as he positions the crumpled paper in front of him.

Topher starts to slowly read the ancient letter, quietly scanning what was left of Thad-Palmer Wallace.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is going to be really weird to do but I updated this chapter in a reverse chronological way. So that means, you get to know the end of the story before you even know how it starts (all thanks to one of Kandi’s cool ideas from this thread). I MEAN, IT’S FUCKING COOL BUT SLIGHTLY CONFUSING SO STICK WITH ME :-)

and sci-fi is equally as fucking cool so yay me for doing stuff out of my comfort zone (i mean i only have one sci-fi sort of story so i can’t say i’m an expert at this stuff)