The Case of T.P. Wallace

Chapter Eleven

I did have attachment issues.

To people. To events. To deaths.

When I was growing up, I taught myself to detach myself from anything that could cause or bring me suffering. I knew by the time my mother’s death occurred that I could only break to a certain extent. But in order to obtain the merriment and joy we try to strive for, we have to endure the pain and ache before the good part rolls in.

- - -


Detachment’s main function is time.

- - -


On my way out before walking into an elevator, a nurse pulls me away from the lift and pushes a small piece of paper in my hand. She softly says, “From him.”

I frown at her for being mysterious and a bit eccentric, but I eventually tuck the note into my jacket pocket and wait for the next lift to come by.

- - -


Dear Nia (or Dr. Desai)~

I am writing to you on behalf of your excellent service here at Central Hospital. I’m especially leaving out how much the food sucked but the pudding was fucking good. Fucking good. So here’s my thanks to you, a kind soul, from me, a man full of wonder but lack of thought (because I have half a brain haha get it?). Although I know the procedure is risky and unattainable, I will go ahead of myself and say thank you for trying to make me become full again. Thank you to you, the rest of your staff, and your wondering storytelling skills. Our time was short but heavy. Hope to keep in touch.

Regards,
T.P. Wallace


PS: I hope you’re feeling better and stronger about your mother’s death. Earth kinda sucks, really. Station YozMa rules! See you soon, Nia.


- - -


On my thirty-fifth birthday, I adopted Topher. He was a healthy five year old boy with brown hair and small freckles on his cheekbones. As I made my way towards the new member of my family, I notice his slight withdrawal with other people-- me for that matter. Topher was standing next to his supervisor near the front door, waiting for my arrival. He had his stubby fingers wrapped around an action figure, clutching it tightly like it was the last thing he owned. Although he was silent and a bit nervous during the car ride back to my apartment, I could tell from the way he constantly glanced in my direction that he was equally as happy as I finally was.
♠ ♠ ♠
BIG THANK YOU TO ELLA FOR MAKING THE BEAUTIFUL AESTHETIC (link in the summary) !!!

This was obviously inspired by Phineas Gage and his split brain situation in the 1800s but God, I loved this way more than I should. Thank you to everyone who recommended, commented and/or subbed! Big love to all of you.

The prologue is next! It all makes sense once you read it :-)