The Case of T.P. Wallace

Chapter Five

“A long time ago--”

“No, don't make it artificial,” Thad interrupts and says, “Tell me something that sounds the least bit realistic.” He's smiling widely at me, hoping I won't get offended. I don't. I only become more curious of this Thad character.

“Well,” I say as I scratch my chin, “I don't like Earth. I dislike the people there. I hate their rules. Oh, and their caste system is stupid. They said they believe in equality? That's a load of bullshit.”

I see Thad fixing his pillow and pulling his blanket closer to his chin. He looks at me innocently, like a young child ready for bed.

Thad raises an eyebrow and says, “Don't stop on my account.”

I play with the thought of continuing what he doesn't know isn't make-believe. I did have strong feelings against Earth, but is it worth it to unleash it pass my thoughts?

Thad’s crooked smile convinces me to continue. He tilts his head to the side and waits for me to continue my story.

I fold my hands on my lap and start saying, “Well, there was once a strong lady named Yvette. She was deployed to Earth in ‘74 because Earth needed the additional aid for their upcoming war against Planet Zion. She was a brilliant Cardiovascular surgeon, and so when Earth needed the recruitment for anyone willing to assist the injured, Yvette was on board.”

“How old was Yvette?” Thad curiously asks.

“She was thirty-seven years old.” I watch Thad nod before I continue, “Some stories say that Yvette promised her family that she would be back and see them again, but some stories say that she only said goodbye.” I hear Thad ask another question but I remain in tack with the story. “By the time Earth declared it’s win against Planet Zion, um, Yvette’s husband gets a call from one of her supervisors.”

“Oh, God,” Thad comments while placing a hand on my own. He stares at me with wide eyes.

“So before Earth’s victory, Yvette’s supervisor calls up her husband, saying that there was a bomb malfunction in the doctors and nurses’ tents.”

Thad repeats, “Oh, God.

I breathe, “Yvette was one of the few people in the tent when the explosion happened. Um, s-she, uh, stories say that she was in there praying before starting work that day. She, um, stories say that she was praying to God, hoping to see her family again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
reader question: who do y’all think “Yvette” was and how do you think she’s important to Nia???