The Case of T.P. Wallace

Chapter Six

“Well?” I look at Dr. Bilger, Central Hospital’s Neurologist, as he looks over at Thad’s MRI scan. Bilger is squinting at the scan, quietly analyzing the image. “What do you think? Could you do it?”

“Nia, what you’re asking me to do has a slim, slim chance of even having a ten percent recovery rate. I mean, look at the damage of his Frontal Lobe alone. It’s too risky to go on with the surgery.”

“Elliot,” I say as I cross my arms over my chest. “This guy has been searching planets to get this surgery. Even a simple change in his conscious mind would be fine.”

“Even with this procedure done, he has a high chance of experiencing his seizures. His brain was sliced for a reason and that reason was to stop him from having any future episodes. That obviously didn’t solve anything. Whoever the guy, whoever the chancellor, whoever performed the surgery, he did an awful job. Look at the way the Corpus Callosum was sliced,” Bilger says as he points at Thad’s brain scan. “It’s rutted, like the guy rushed the entire procedure. Too much damage has been done to the poor thing.”

Thad is damaged. He knew it, I knew it, everyone knew it.

I place a hand on my hip as Bilger asks, “Why do you care so much about this one?”

I shrug. “He deserves more than the half brain he owns.”