To Write My Name on Her Heart

Chapter Two

“What!?” I gasped, looking at my dad in shock. he nodded, telling me what Sapphires dad had said was true. I gaped at him. “Dad, come on! I’ve just turned 18!” I exclaimed. Dad smiled at me kindly.

“It’s decided, Tyson. You two are going to get married, for business purposes of course. Combining our two investment firms together in family, with both of you taking over one day, will simply be marvelous. She loves taking care of the books, and you don’t. she hates speaking to others, but you do. Problems solved.” I shook my head. How many times would I have to tell him until he got the message- I was not taking over his stupid company!

“Dad you know I’m not going to take over. Katrick already said he was going to. He’s older, anyway! Why not just let him!” I was almost yelling, I saw the table next to us look over in confusion. I tone myself down, taking a few deep breaths as my dad speaks.

“Because you’re more of a people person! No more arguing over this. It’s done and it’s going to happen. The wedding will be planned for next September.” He says this with the finalty that I’d only heard in busisness deals he was making. I counted it out in my head quickly. Less then five months. Shit. That wasn’t even enough time to really date someone and say I love you, let alone get married. I looked at Sapphire, and her head was bowed, looking at her hands. Was she just going to give up on this like that? I wanted to see her eyes. What her demeanor said wasn’t anything compared to what her deep blue eyes said. They, unlike the rest of her frail body, where fierce and full of expression. The rest of her was a blank slate.

“Ok, say we went along with this.” I said slowly. Her eyes darted up to me in shock before falling down again immediately. In that second I realized why she had been so quiet. She thought I was rejecting her. not the thought, but her herself. Even if she didn’t want it, that was definitely a sting to the ego.

“What would we do between now and then?” I asked my dad carefully. He shrugged one shoulder.

“Get to know each other. I would expect you to take her to and from school, and for all intense and purposes act like a couple why there. Maybe go out and shop for a ring together. I want you two at least comfortable with each other when the ceremony starts.” I scrubbed my hands down my face. That wouldn't be the greatest Idea. Harris has already threatened to make my life a living hell if I so much as look at her again. I want to laugh at him now though. Before we made it to school, he’d gone on this long tangent about how he loved Sapphire and they where getting married and she was going to be his. he was possessive, not in love. He didn’t know the difference. with that thought I glanced at Sapphire again. She met my eyes wearily, then shrugged a shoulder once. I was surprised at this.

“Would you really be ok with that?” I asked softly. She wouldn’t meet my eyes. I glanced up at the parents waiting patiently.

“Can I talk to her alone?” I snapped. They nodded, our fathers murmuring together a moment.

“Of course, Tyson. Take her outside.” her dad answered. I stood and waited for her to stand as well.

I walked beside her as we walked through the restaurant. I felt the urge to put my hand on the small of her bare back, but knew that would flip her out. I led her outside and she shivered immediately. I told her to wait a moment, and I ran inside, asking the desk for my leather jacket. I slid it over her shoulders from behind and she yelped.

“calm down kitten.” I said, the nickname slipping out unexpectedly. It fit her, though. She was timid, but I could tell she was fierce. Like a little fur ball kitten.

“Why are they doing this?” she asked. I noticed the tremor wasn’t as bad in her voice as it was before, and she was barely louder. She tightened the jacket around her and I smiled as she closed her eyes and breathed in deeply.

“I don’t know, really. They said that it was business, though. Do you really like doing the books?” she smiled shyly, and it changed her face completely. It made her cheeks go red and her mouth curve in a very attractive way.

“I do. I find that the books don’t lie, only people.” I nodded. Fair enough. I blew out a long stream of breath. “What about school? Would you be ok with that?” she flinched as if I had hit her. I frowned.

“at school is a completely different story. Al and Gal…” she sighed and shook her head, and I was shocked when I realized we were holding an almost normal conversation tone. I voiced this, and she hid her face in the collar of my jacket. I felt a wave of possessiveness at that, and had to tamp it down. The girl was cute, but I didn’t want to get involved unless I knew she wanted to too. half of me wanted to do it just to piss off Harris.

“ I…. when I trust someone, I speak up. Al and Gal, when I’m alone with them, know that. I guess…. I dunno. I guess I trust you. don’t know why, you’ve been a pain in my ass from the beginning.” I grinned cheekily.

“of course, sweetness. So, are we going to do this?” she shook her head sharply no. “You don’t want to be tied to me in that way, I can tell. You protested enough for anyone to see that.”

“I’m against the idea of forcing us together. Though I must admit as soon as I saw you bent over that branch in the tree, shock lacing your face, I knew I wanted to get to know you. what the hell did you do to Harris to shove a stick up his ass though?” I asked remembering his warning to stay the hell away from her again. She shivered lowly.

“he thinks he has possession over me. He….” She shook her head, but didn’t finish the sentence. At least she was aware of the situation.

“Give me two months.” I asked, surprising myself as I said it.. She narrowed her eyes at me. “Why?” I hated that tremor. I wanted it gone again. She really did have a beautiful voice.

“By then we should have some indication as wether we will get along or not. Please, two months.” I ask again. I don’t know why I’m suddenly for this idea, but I don’t want to not get to know her, which is what would happen if she was to say no. If she said no I probably wouldn’t talk to her again.

“Why do you want it though?” she asked again. I shrugged. “I don’t not like you, kitten. I just don’t like this idea of forcing us together.” She gnawed on her lip nervously a moment. It felt like an eternity for her answer, probably because I was holding my breath.

“I suppose I can deal with that. I mean, if not you’ll let me back out… right?” I nodded immediately. She said a word, I’d call it off. She nodded. I grinned, holding a hand out to her. She stepped away immediately and I remembered our conversation from earlier. “Are you really scared of people?” she hesitated before nodding.. “I hate it when people touch me. It makes me feel dirty.” She tripped over her words worse than before, and I felt bad for bringing it up. We went inside, and I returned my jacket while she waited by my side silently. I led us back to our table, and the parents looked up expectantly. Our dessert had arrived, and I sat in my seat. A moment later she did the same.

“We give it two months. If there’s no connection or we absolutely loath each other, its called off, got it?” I said. Dad beamed at me. “Of course son.” He looks relieved that I said yes. Perhaps I had come off as too strong beforehand on saying no. I glance at Sapphire, but she’s focused on her plate, picking at the dessert Identical to mine. I had ordered it as a joke, to make her smile. I didn’t even know the name of it, but when I took a bite It was really good, better then the chocolate lava cake I usually ordered here. I’d cleaned off my plate before she had finished half of hers, and she looked shocked when she noticed this. She was a tiny thing, I didn’t expect her to eat all that much of it anyway. And I was right, because most of what was left was put in a box for her to take home. The parents were apparently done talking, because our fathers stood and shook hands. I stand with my mother, and she looks peeved at me. it takes me a moment to realize why. She’d put me through these ridiculous classes on etiquette, and this whole night I’ve ignored it. Not once did I pull out Sapphire’s chair, or push it in, or help her in anyway. But the way she looked she’d try to bite me if I did, and I didn’t like it when someone relied on someone else. I shrug at my mother and turn to Sapphire. It makes me slightly dizzy, to my surprise, and I steady myself on my chair as she stands.

“Are you ok?” she asks softly. I barely heard the airy question leave her lips, but I nod. I didn’t want to tell her a wave of nausea had hit me and I felt like I was going to throw up if I opened my mouth. I excuse myself quickly, and step outside into the fresh air. I thought that would help, but it made my head spin. I lean against the building, and lean forward to help my stomach. I was going to get sick. No helping it. I felt my eyes start watering as it rose in my throat, and a figure rounds the corner just as I spew the last almost two hours of food I’d ate. I end up hitting most of the ground, but I do hit their shoes and bare legs as I heave onto the ground. I feel them help me kneel down and they even keep my shaggy hair back from my face while I dry heaved. I sit up after what seems like hours of puking, and I’m horrified to find Sapphire was the one helping me.

“Hi.” She says, a worried look on her face and a question in her soft voice. My whole head is spinning. I want to apologize for ruining her shoes, and for her having to help me. I lift my head again and see my father a few feet away, with her father. our mothers are at the valet station, ignoring us completely. our fathers look concerned at least. Something cool touches my head unexpectedly and I flinch away from it, the movement causing my surroundings to spin.

“You’re burning up. What did you eat? Chicken? noodles?” she asks as she helps me stand. I find myself gripping her hand tightly to steady myself, and she was standing close enough I felt her freeze completely. before I could question it, my father is beside me.

“The car is here son. We’re taking you to the hospital, your mother insists.” He mutters this last part like he didn’t think it necessary as he helped me duck into the back seat of the car. the leather was freezing, and I laid down on it, hoping it would stop the dull throb now starting in my temples. I hear my father muttering to someone, and then the car jerks forward.

“WHAT!?” Al exclaimed, breaking into laughter. I scowl at him through my bangs. I’m lounging on his bed, He’s on one of his beanbags, and Gal is in his computer chair. He’s grinning, but trying not to laugh. Al sounds like he’s about to bust a gut.

It’s friday, and I came to Al’s after school. Since I was now, technically, Tyson’s responsibility, my parents weren’t too concerned about where I went or what I did. They gave me keys to the spare car that we had, and told me that Tyson had ordered a phone for me that should be in the mail today and here tomorrow. I was shocked at this news, I’d never had a cellphone. Tyson hasn’t directly talked to me, and I figured the story I just got done telling Al- of him puking all over me as I find him to give him the jacket he had left in the restaurant- was the reason for that. he looked mortified to see it was me kneeling there with him as he puked. According to my father, who had spoken with his father, Tyson was one of 15 other people to get food poisoning from a dish they had started serving two weeks ago. He wasn’t at school today, so I hadn’t told anyone what was going on. Not even Gal or Al. as far as they know, it was just a business meeting we both happened to get dragged to. I explained to them that I got the car because my mother was getting tired of driving me to school, and I didn’t mention the cellphone. I’ll say it was to keep in contact with me. My father had told me that, though we would be dating at the school, the arrangements needed to be kept quiet, because of the Franklin family. Harris’ family. Apparently they thought that Harris had a chance at dating me, and they would be furious if they found out before the wedding actually happened. Until then, I was going to be lying to my best friends. Until I talked to Tyson about it anyway.

“So this Tyson kid just, what, spewed appetizer a main course and dessert on you?” Gal asks. He’s composed himself now, but he’s still grinning.

“Yes. Shut up.” I glance at my watch out of habit. I’m not used to being free to do whatever it is that I want to.

“I want to do something. I have the car. Do you all want to go to the movies?” I ask. This gets Al to shut up.

“You can seriously do whatever you want, cant you?” he asks, confusion in his voice. I shrug at him.

“Mom got tired of enforcing her laws. she’s decided that I’m on my own.” I admit. I swing the keys at him and he catches them reflectively so that they dont hit his face.

“SO, movies?”

“How about just Pizza. It’s going to be crowded on a friday.” Gal offers. I nod at this suggestion. I had just wanted to get out and get some fresh air, enjoy the new freedom. Sunday my father had designated as a date day for Tyson and I, so we had to go and do something public with each other every sunday. I hadn’t yet told them about Tyson and I “Dating” yet, and I wanted to take them someplace quiet so that they couldn’t yell at me. They where protective and would demand that I couldn’t until he had met them.

I let Al drive to his favorite pizza place, a hole in the wall restaurant that was only open four days of the week, Friday through Monday. He preened the whole way there because he had won the rock paper scissors game with Gal on who was going to order the pizza. Gal and I sit in a booth as Al orders. The place was quiet, we were the only ones in it at the moment, though it had just opened a few minutes before we showed up.

“You’re not telling us something.” Gal says mildly as he plays with the place mat in front of him. I’m startled by this. He wasn’t one to speak often, unless he deemed it important. I smile slightly at him as he glances at me and he shakes his head, grinning.

“Al isn’t going to like it, is he? That’s why you haven't said anything yet. “he says. I shrug at him, but he’s right. Gal trusts my judgement, to an extent. Al doesn’t think I can judge a fox from a kitten.

I grin as I think about that word, kitten. no one had ever called me anything like it before. It was a little shocking at first, but he’d used it, among other names, through out the night. He never said my name, and I think it was because of the way he looked when my father said it. Not many people can pick up on it, but my father has a way of saying my name as if it was a dismissive object, and not a person. At one point during dessert, my father had said my name and Tyson looked… Pissed at the tone that was used. Or at least upset.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story tied for first this week, so it and The Prince and the Thief will be updated.