Secrets in the Stars

"I'll stay beside you."

Steve came to my room early the next morning. I was already up, pulling my hair back into a long braid. I had forgotten about the new pajamas I bought the day before, so I was wearing my lacey-black bra and a pair of yoga pants I found in the closet. When Steve came to the door I answered quickly, forgetting how under dressed I was. He almost immediately averted his eyes, blushing and holding out my new training clothes, wearing a set of his own in navy blue.

“Good morning.” I said happily.

Steve smiled, but still couldn’t look at me directly. “Morning, Star. You… Um… You should put these on.”

Behind him, Natasha Romanoff passed by. She stopped for a moment, looked over the scene and winked at me. “Good morning, Star. Cute bra.”

“Thanks—“ I was sincere, but finally realized why Steve couldn’t look at me. I was completely embarrassed. “I’m sorry!” I exclaimed as I grabbed the clothes from Steve and ran into my bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

I stripped down completely and looked over the training clothes. I had them made in black and red. They looked like regular work-out clothes, but they were made from a specialty binding fabric that hugged every curve, cradled every weak spot, and soothed my body like an Icy-Hot wrap. The pants fit perfectly from my ankles to my waist, and the tank-top felt weightless—like it was merely painted on—and gave me the proper support for my breasts without needing a bra.

I pulled my braid forward and exited the bathroom. Steve was waiting for me quietly by the door.

“Well, I’m ready.” I said.

Steve nodded, grinning. “Follow me then. The training facility is two floors down.” We walked to the elevator in silence. Today, Steve was keeping his hands to himself. It felt a little weird to not have my arm wrapped around his after yesterday. It was hard not to get close to Steve both physically and emotionally, so him keeping his distance was bothering me already.

We got into the elevator and Steve finally spoke. “You look great. Barefoot, but great.”

It was a peculiar thing to say. “‘Barefoot but great’?” I laughed.

“Well, you know—you’re not wearing shoes but you—I—“

I stepped in front of him. “I get it. And thank you.”

Again, the feeling of wanting to kiss him was overwhelming me, and Steve was looking at me like he had the day before when he almost kissed me. The moment was here again, and now I just needed to be brave. But before I could take my chance, the doors opened. I went back to standing at his side.

Just as we were about to step inside the training facility, Steve leaned over and pinned a small, circular chip to my top. “I almost forgot that you’ll be needing this.”

When we walked through the sliding metal doors, I was immediately awe-struck. The room was MASSIVE, with giant lights shining all over the place, and a set of windows incredibly high off the ground. It looked like an observation deck and had three or four people bustling around behind the glass, messing with machines.

“Hey guys!” Steve called out.

One of them came over the speaker. It was Agent Romanoff again. “Yes Cap?”

“Don’t worry about sending in a virtual sparring partner or the gym equipment. We’re focusing on basic movements today. I don’t want to overwhelm Star with too much at once.”

I wanted desperately to be annoyed with his comments, but I couldn’t be. Regardless of how badly I wanted to be considered a new, tough, powerful woman, I wasn’t ready to be my own Buffy yet.

This world was painfully new to me, but I was already falling head first into training like an Avenger. I couldn’t understand my sudden reluctance; this was everything I ever wanted. Being trained to become a hero, BY heroes; in what world was this not perfect?! Why wasn’t this feeling like a dream coming true?

“Awe Rogers, don’t be doubting the woman already. I have a feeling she’ll be able to pack more punch than you might think.” I could see Natasha in the observation deck, winking at me like she had earlier.

“I don’t doubt her at all.” I turned to Steve and noticed him smirking at me. I blushed.

Suddenly, the walls and the floors all around me began to shift. The windows where I could see Agent Romanoff were gone, and cold metal walls and floor were replaced by a brilliant, while light. I couldn’t even see Steve anymore. But I could hear his voice. “Star?”

“Steve? Where are you?” I asked.

“It’s okay, I’m here. Just close your eyes and think of a nice, quiet environment. Somewhere that brings you peace of mind and makes you feel safe. Take me there with you. Trust me.”

I didn’t have to think hard; when the other kids would pick on me at Xavier’s school, I would run to the flower garden and hide under the gazebo until I was sure no one could find me. But one day as I was hiding, I found I wasn’t alone.

Right out of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a little white rabbit had found me. Before I could help myself, I was following it into the woods beyond the school’s perimeter, finding myself in a wide-open field surrounded by wild daisies and trees as far as the eye could see. The grass was emerald green and gentle on my bare feet. There was even a small stream near by, and I could hear the flow of the water along with the singing of birds. And the air smelled cleaner than I knew it ever could; the breeze soft on my skin like the touch of a loved one. It was all coming back to me.

And when I opened my eyes, I was there again.

“How?” Was all I could manage to say. There was no hiding my surprise.

Steve replied, “Yeah, for all the disagreements between Stark and I, I can’t deny that what he does well, he does very well. It’s all virtual, but it feels—“

“Real. It’s like I’m really there again.” I stepped forward, taking in my surroundings. Even the breeze was enveloping me.

“So may I ask where exactly we ‘are’?” Steve asked.

I told him the story of how I found the field, and how it became a significant place for me during the rest of my time at the school. “…I came here everyday, even in the winter. This place is just as beautiful covered in snow. Sometimes I felt more at home here then I ever did at Xavier’s. It was even part of the reason I didn’t want to leave New York State in the first place.”

“It’s beautiful, really.” Steve came up to me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I raised my hand to his and held it there. “Thank you for everything in advance, and for everything you’ve done already, Steve. You’ve really been here for me since we met.”

“And I’ll stay beside you, I promise.” Even though we had only known each other for about seventy-two hours, I could tell Captain meant what he said. He dropped his hand from my shoulder and came around to face me. “Ready to get started?”

I nodded. “I’ve been ready for this since I was born.”

“First thing’s first, we need to stretch. Then I want to test your endurance. Run with me.” Steve said with a cheeky grin. It seemed as though he was more excited to be training me than I thought.

***
Four hours later, I was sweating harder than I ever had before and my entire body felt like it was on fire. Working out was part of my daily routine, but nothing I did was anything like this. And in the way of the actual self-defense training, all I knew was what stance to take when blocking a punch, and I hadn’t even gotten the chance to do any actual punching.

Still, I couldn’t remember a single time in my life that I had felt happier.

Steve and I lay in the grass, watching the (virtual) clouds roll by as I tried to catch my breath. He, surprisingly, seemed to be having the same problem.

“You’re strong, Star,” Steve said between deep breaths. “Your endurance is great. You were nearly running as fast as me.”

“You were holding back.” I joked, knowing it was also likely true.

“No, I wasn’t.”

I looked over at Steve, “Well, once we’re done whipping me into shape maybe I’ll give you a run for your money.” I winked.

“It wouldn’t surprise me at all.”

“Steve…” I sighed.
 “Yes Star?” He replied, his blue eyes sparkling.

“I know we just met, but I can’t shake this feeling… And I think that whatever this is, you’re feeling it, too.”

He was quiet for a moment, and I could tell he was thinking—maybe trying to choose his words carefully. “…I am.” He said, after what felt to me like an eternity.

“Steve, I—“

Right then, that brilliant flash of white light overcame everything around us again. I jumped up, and I could hear Captain doing so as well. When the lights dimmed, the metal walls and floor were back, as was the observation deck. But behind the glass, instead of Romanoff, I could see Tony (who looking shockingly serious).

“First day of training went well, I take it?” He asked. He was staring at Cap, so I couldn’t tell if he was asking me or him.

I answered anyway, “Yes, it’s been great!”

“It must have been, you’ve been at it all morning,” Tony finally looked at me. “You know Captain Rogers is a great sparring partner, but maybe you should start off with Romanoff. Who better to train you to fight than a master assassin?”

Steve finally spoke up, “Actually Stark, we’re starting with self defense. Once she learns to block a punch, I’ll teach her to throw one. And she asked me to train her, personally. If she changes her mind and wants Natasha instead, I’m sure she’ll let me know.”

Even with the two separated by both height and glass, the tension was overwhelming. And I hated being in the middle of it.

“Star, why don’t you head back to your suite and get washed up? Meet me in the kitchen and I’ll have lunch waiting for you.”

I took a step forward to leave but Steve stopped me. “Actually Tony, I wanted to take Star out to eat. To celebrate her first day of training.”

“Well, I wanted to take her out to dinner tonight, actually.” Tony retorted.

“Great, I’ll be joining you, then? Star has asked me to escort her, until we know it’s safe for her to be on her own.” Steve said.

Now I was getting worried.

“She will be safe, she’ll be with me. And I am Iron Man, after all.”

“Yes and exactly how many enemies do you have as Iron Man? Or do you even know?”

Tony smirked, but I could still see that he was aggravated. “Alright Rogers, if she wants you there then you’re welcome to come with. But we’re going somewhere nice, so make sure you have one of your suits pressed, please. And Star, you’ll find a dress for dinner tonight hanging up in your closet. We’re heading out for dinner at eight. And like I said before, lunch will be waiting for you in the kitchen once you’re out of your training clothes. Rogers, come and see me please.”

I looked back to Steve with pleading eyes, wanting him to come with me to my room so we could finish our conversation. But I also didn’t want him to keep fighting with Tony, so I left the training room on my own.

***
Steve left the training facility and went straight up to the observation deck. He closed the door behind him and noticed they were alone. Steve was ready for a fight. That was pretty standard for him and Tony, especially since the fallout of Ultron.

“What is it, Stark?” Steve said.

“What’s going on with you and Star?” Tony cut right to the chase. “You like her?”

“Of course I like her. She’s a nice girl.”

“That’s not what I mean and you know it, Rogers.” Tony snapped. “You and Star met three damn days ago and it seems like you have been together since then.”

Steve sighed, shaking his head. “Fine. I do like her, Tony. She’s sweet and genuine, and we’ve connected. Even in this short period of time.”

Tony raised his eyebrows, nodding. “Okay… You do realize that you can’t be with her? I mean sure, you can have a relationship and everything, but you can’t physically be with her.”

Steve had to think about what Tony was saying, even after his emphasis on the word “physically”. He could feel his cheeks turning slightly pink. “I haven’t thought that far ahead.”

“Really? That’s surprising. After not doing the deed for what—seventy some-odd years?”

Steve didn’t say anything in response to that comment. “This is none of your business… But, why? Why couldn’t we be together ‘that’ way?” He found himself wanting to know.

“Because we don’t know what she could do. To you, to herself. For all we know she could ‘come to completion’, so to speak, and it could level the whole island of Manhattan.”

Steve hated having this conversation. But still, “How do you even know that, Tony? How do you know she’s even still a virgin?”

“With how sheltered that girl was growing up, you really think she’s even had a boyfriend? Let alone sex? Please. She blushes when you just smile or wink at her.”

Steve had noticed that too, but he thought it was cute. “Look, I don’t care if I can’t… ‘Have’ her, so to speak, Tony. I care about Star, and being close to her is what matters to me. I’m not going to stop spending time with her and keeping her safe just because of what ‘may or may not’ be able to happen between us. End of story.”

Tony couldn’t help but grin as the Captain spoke. “Wow. You really do like her. Well, apologize to your junk in advance, because once you see her in the dress I had picked for dinner tonight, you’re going to regret this decision.”

Steve rolled his eyes, turned and walked to the door. On his way back down to his room (which was just across the hall from Star’s), he couldn’t stop thinking about her. The way she laughed, the way she smiled. How open she was with Steve about her childhood and the pain she felt growing up. The two had so much more in common than Steve really ever had with anyone—even Peggy Carter.

He looked up to Star’s door, sighing with frustration. He knew she was going to ask him to kiss her before Stark interrupted; he had planned on doing it, too. But now he wasn’t sure of what to do.

He just knew he couldn’t wait too long to do it.