Secrets in the Stars

Courage

Steve actively avoided Star for the rest of the day. He was doing his best to try and keep Tony’s warning in mind; he wasn’t sure that he was willing to risk danger for desire. At least, not yet.

Still, the time for dinner came quickly, and Steve made a promise that he would be attending. He put on his dark blue suit with a black undershirt and styled his sleek blonde hair into place. He wanted to look nice for her.

Once he was ready, he went to exit his room and found Tony waiting on the other side of the sliding door. “I was about to knock.” He said.

Steve nodded. “Sure. Why are you at my door, anyway?” He walked out his room and the door slid shut behind him.

They both looked up at the sound of the Star’s door sliding open behind them, and Steve felt his heart begin to race at the sight of her.

Star was wearing a stunning black swing dress that looked as if it were made in the 1940s. It was off the shoulder and hugged her exquisite form in all the right places. Her hair was up in the back, with elegant curls falling around her shoulders. Steve wasn’t sure it was possible for her to look more stunning than she did now.

She smiled at Steve, making his heart feel as though it was swelling. “Hi Steve,” she said. “Thank you for the dress, Tony. I really love it.”

“I thought you would,” He replied with a smirk. “It came from a vintage boutique in Brooklyn. It’s one of Pepper’s favorite stores.”

Steve looked over at Tony and cocked an eyebrow. For a guy that didn’t want to him to have a relationship with Star, this move sure made it seem like Tony was actually encouraging otherwise. He leaned over and whispered in Tony’s ear, “What are you trying to do?”

Tony ignored Steve’s question and kept his attention on Star, “Well, you look gorgeous,” He offered his arm to Star, as Steve usually would have. Star looked to Steve to read his face, worried that taking Tony’s arm would send him the wrong signal. Before she could say no, Tony said, “Don’t worry, Pepper won’t be angry about you being on my arm. Come on.”

Star stopped hesitating, locked her arm around Tony’s and began to walk with him, looking back at Steve longingly.

Steve followed quietly, wishing he could knock Stark’s to the ground and take Star into his arms…

He gulped, realizing he might be losing control of his thoughts over this young woman. He wondered if maybe, he was more drawn to her power than he first thought. After all, Xavier said that was why Tony was drawn to her.

Steve shuddered. Comparing himself to Tony made him feel low. Even still, he didn’t want to distance himself from Star until he knew why it was he wanted her so badly. He took a deep breath, finding it in him to be respectful enough not to listen to their conversation, even inside the elevator.

***
When we reached the bottom floor of the tower, I expected one of Tony’s exquisite cars to be waiting for us. Instead, there was a limo. I had never been inside one before, but growing up in New York I had seen them everywhere.

“I can’t believe you’re not driving,” I said to Tony. “I was fully expecting an Audi or a Porsche that can go from zero to sixty in less than a second.” I smirked, hoping he’d pick up on my (half) sarcasm.

He did. “Normally, I’d definitely blow your mind behind the wheel, but I figured it was a better idea to take a driver. I’ll take you on a drive when we don’t need to worry about messing up your hair.” Tony winked; I blushed a bit.

Tony held the door open for Steve and I, and when we took our seats I made sure to sit down next to him. I wanted Steve to know that I wanted him there. I even made sure to get as close to his as I possibly could, and to hold his hand. I looked up to his beautiful blue eyes, trying to read his expression; he smiled at me and gripped my hand back. If Tony hadn’t been less than a foot from us, I would have finally kissed Steve.

After about a half hour of driving (plus an extra fifteen minutes of traffic), we pulled up to a tall, beautiful building in the center of Manhattan, about a block away from Times Square.

The driver came around and opened the door, and we were escorted into the building by a man in a very nice dress shirt and tie combo. “It’s wonderful to have you here again, Mr. Stark. Will Miss Potts be joining your party tonight?” The man said.

“Afraid not, Jimmy. Miss Potts is in Seattle for the next week and a half.”

“Well, send her our best, please Sir.” Jimmy responded. He looked over to Steve and I. “Miss Ray, Mr. Rogers, we’re honored to have you here for the first time. You both look fantastic.”

Steve and I nodded and said our thanks, and Jimmy brought us to the back of the restaurant.

He said, “We’ll be heading just up these stairs to the rooftop terrace. There you will find Mr. Stark’s reserved table and our head chef, Louis De La Franc, preparing a selection of appetizers.”

I felt baffled. Why is Tony going to all this trouble for me? I wondered. Noticing Steve’s reaction, I could say he was feeling the same way as I was.

The terrace was incredible, lined with twinkling white lights and candles. The plants and flowers around us were perfectly attended too. And on the table, the centerpiece was made of pink roses… My mother’s (and my) favorite flower.

“Tony…” I sighed. “This is—“

“A celebration of you,” He answered, taking my hand from Steve and leading me to the table. “For trusting us enough to agree to staying at the Tower, and for letting Captain Rogers train you in self-defense and combat.”

Tony held out the chair in the middle of the table so I could sit between him and Steve. I accepted his gesture, but something about his statement—even his kindness—was getting to me, and not in a good way.

Still, I tried to ignore my feelings and enjoy the night. As they sat down, I proceeded to thank them both. “Well, thank you for having me, Tony. And Steve, I really appreciate that you’re training me… Not to mention how you’ve been there for me these last few days, like I said earlier. Everyone has been so kind, so welcoming. Considering the situation… That’s kind of a miracle.”

We sat there quietly as the chef arrived at the table and introduced himself and the meal he had planned for us that evening. When he was gone, and our glasses full of wine, Tony said, “No such thing as miracles. Everything can be explained somehow. Simplest way to explain everyone being so nice to you is because it’s hard not to be. You’re sweet and very genuine.”

I wanted to say thank you, but I hadn’t liked the way he started off that compliment. Before I could say anything though, Steve said it for me. “There are miracles, Stark. You’re sitting next to one.”

I took a deep breath, then a drink of my white wine. I knew what was coming next.

“That’s a bit arrogant to say of yourself, don’t you think Captain?” Tony replied.

“I wasn’t talking about me and you know it.” Steve snapped.

I took another drink.

“Star’s condition—“ Tony tried to argue.

“My condition?” I asked.

Tony ignored me. “—Can and will be explained, eventually.”

“By you?” Steve said. “Let me count the ways that has led us down bad paths before.”

Another drink, then I signaled the waiter for a refill.

“It’s different this time—“

“How?”

Before I knew it, I was on my third glass of wine. “These appetizers are delicious.” I said.

“Why does it matter to you, Rogers? Why does how I plan to discover the source of her power matter to you so damn much?”

“You know damn well why!”

“Steve, you’re just falling under her spell. You heard Charles Xavier—Star’s power draws people to her. It’s dangerous, it doesn’t matter if she can help it or not!”

I had enough at that point. Normally, I’d be weak in a situation like this; nervous and cowardly. But not this time. I didn’t know if it was the alcohol giving me some kind of courage, but I wouldn’t stand to spoken about as if I wasn’t there.

“ENOUGH!” I screamed. The men stopped talking. I got up from the table, walked over to Chef Louis, and calmly asked him to leave the rooftop. He kindly excused himself and the second we were alone, I turned back to Steve an Tony.

“Star, please—“ Tony tried to say.

The glasses on the table shattered—I knew I had caused it.

“I WON’T BE SPOKEN ABOUT LIKE I’M NOT EVEN PRESENT.”

The two men looked worried and… Afraid.

I directed my enraged gaze to Tony. “Listen to me, Tony. I get it, okay? To be honest, I’m not dealing well with the idea that I’m… What I am. I’ve lived my whole goddamn life in a world of science. ‘The next step in evolution’, that was all my godfather ever talked about. And you were always, always a personal hero of mine. Except for how many times I’ve read Harry Potter, I didn’t never believed in magic, either. But I believe in Xavier, because he is the most level-headed, determined man I have ever known. He did everything he could to find answers for what I am. If he can’t find some sort of ‘logic’ behind my existence, neither can you. But I know you well enough to know you won’t give up. So keep trying until you’ve exhausted every option and possibility—you can’t be right about everything, and you are not right about me.”

Then, I moved my gaze to Steve. Even I was surprised at how angry I was with him; my gaze didn’t falter. “Steve… I am so disappointed in you right now. The fact that you feel the need to challenge your friendship with Tony, over me? Over my safety? How do you think of me? As weak, I’m assuming. And you know what? You’re not entirely wrong. Everyone has their character defects and faults—mine is that I’m cowardly, anxious and insecure. Tony is an egotistical narcissist. And you, Steve? You’re so determined to be the good guy that you forget to take real, personal risks. You second guess yourself and everyone around you, then wait too long to act on your gut feelings and you wallow in your regret. But I’m done. With all of it. Both of you.”

I turned my back to both of them and stormed away, down the stairs of the restaurant and out to the sidewalk. I couldn’t get far enough away.

***
Steve kept staring at the door, even as Tony spoke. “Wow. Quite observant, that girl…”

“She’s not a girl, Stark. She’s a woman. And a powerful one, even if she is new to it. I think that might be one of the points she was trying to make.”

“Do you?”

Steve looked to Tony. “I do. She told me about living at the school… About how everyone treated her differently and bullied her, and how the teachers and her godfather treated her like a little girl. And here we were, doing exactly the same thing. Talking about her like she wasn’t even in the room, arguing about what should be done with her and about her… Like she didn’t even have a damn say.”

Tony’s eyes widened at Steve’s comments. “…You’re right. I hate to say it, but you are. What are we going to do about it?”

Steve shook his head. “I don’t know what you are going to do, but I know what I need to do.”

He didn’t hesitate; Steve got up from the table, ran down the stairs and out the door of the restaurant. He looked around, trying desperately to see her little, curvy frame making it’s way up the street to hail a cab.

And he saw her, heading around a corner leading to Times Square.

Steve began to run through the crowd, doing his absolute best not to lose sight of Star for too long. By the time he had caught up to her, she was standing in the center of the Square amongst a sea of tourists, clearly trying to disappear into the crowd.

“Star! Please!” Steve called out.

He could see her stop moving. When she turned to face him, he knew what he had to do.

He ran to her, stopping just an inch from her body. He didn’t even need to catch his breath before he said, “I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, or make you feel like a little girl again. Stark just drives me crazy—“

“I’m not doing this,” Star said, rolling her eyes and beginning to walk away. “I’m not going to argue about Tony with you—“

Steve reached out and grabbed Star’s arm carefully; just firmly enough to turn her back to him. “I don’t want to talk about him either. I just…” He trailed off, hesitating.

“What, Steve? What is it you want?!” Star was beginning to cry.

He couldn’t take seeing her cry. And he knew what he wanted. All he needed now was to say it.

So he did, “You. I want you.”

Steve wrapped his arms around Star’s waist and lifted her off the ground, bringing his lips to her’s. One of his hands cradled the back of her head while the other arm kept her whole body pressed against his.

Star wrapped her arms around Steve’s neck, letting herself finally fall for him completely. Her lips moved entirely on their own, as if they were made for Steve Roger’s lips. She felt his hard muscles pressed against her body, realizing he had lifted her off the ground. This was the best moment of her life.

When they finally pulled their lips apart, Steve kept holding Star up. They locked eyes and Star felt as though she was melting into Steve’s arms. She had never been happier. “Take me home…” She whispered to him.