Status: Active One Shot

Breathe in, Breathe Out

Unbinded

Breathe. Deep breaths. You have to breathe. You have to calm yourself. Slowly, the tightness leaves my chest and I can feel it getting easier to breathe. At least this time I didn’t need to use my medicine. I’m finally getting better at this.

For most of my life, I’ve been in and out of hospitals. For most of my life, I’ve let one thing stand in the way of doing the things I want. That one thing, is the fact that I’ve had asthma all my life. Many people have this idea about asthma and how it doesn’t control your life or how you live your life. But it does. Whenever you think of doing anything, you have to ‘consult’ with your asthma to see if it’ll be okay. That whatever you want to do won’t make you have an asthma attack. Trust me when I say that doing whatever you want is not worth the asthma attack you’ll put yourself in.

Asthma, for those who don’t know, is a disease where your airways narrow and swell when a trigger is there as a stimuli. It makes breathing difficult and will make you wheeze, cough, and make it sound like you chain-smoke. For some, asthma isn’t bad. It can be well controlled on many different types of inhalers and medicine and regular exercise. For others, it’s a disease that controls you.
Whenever I used to have bad asthma attacks that would land me in the hospital, it felt like my ribs were being crushed from the sides, while simultaneously being crushed under the weight of a large animal. My favorite was saying that an elephant was sitting on my chest.

Living with asthma can be a pain in the ass. If you don’t have your asthma well controlled, you’re not likely to be doing a lot of physical activity. You also don’t really want to go anywhere out of fear that something in the environment is going to trigger an asthma attack. You live in fear.
Asthma is not a thing to be afraid of though. Yes, it has harmful effects on your body. But if it’s well controlled, you can feel like you’re living a normal life; not casted out from doing things everyone else can do.

My asthma has had a chokehold on me since day one. But not anymore. I’ve researched and learned and been in the hospital enough times to know what triggers my asthma and what I can and cannot do while still being a productive human being. I have a job at a call center; a precious puppy that I can actually take care of and I’m in my third year of college. All because I know how to finally control my asthma and not let it control me. I used to think that I was this person that failed at life because she had a disease that wouldn’t allow her to do so many things. Now I’m a person who has a disease, but doesn’t let that stop her from doing most anything she wants to do. I am no longer held down by the weight of my asthma and that’s an amazing feeling.