The God and the Peasant Girl

Image
The God

Image
The Peasant Girl

Aglaia was the simple, hard-working, 16 year old peasant daughter to two hard working, peasant parents. She had always been a happy girl, loving to her parents, parents who loved her right back, and had a childlike joy in her heart that never left as she matured. She was never afraid to get her delicate hands dirty, or to speak her mind, which sometimes got her into trouble. Especially when it was to the many suitors, young and old, rich and poor, who pined for her and repeatedly asked her hand in marriage. See, she was the most beautiful girl in not only her medium sized, seaside village, but also the surrounding ones, all the way up to the large group of villas inhabited by the wealthy of the area. Her parents urged her to give her hand in marriage to one of the many wealthy suitors, for they wanted nothing more than for her to live in the lap of luxury, to never have to do an ounce of hard work ever again. But, Aglaia declined, for in her childlike heart, she knew she could not marry if not for love, a concept foreign to so many during that time. No, she would wait. Wait for that love.
But, she did not expect that love to come from a God. The handsome God of love. The God Eros. And after an afternoon of being swept off to some of the most beautiful places in Greece, she was head over heels.
This is what she had been waiting for her whole life.
The God of Love loved her, and she loved him back. It was perfect. It was a dream come true.

At least for a time.