Status: New chapters coming! Updating when I can!

Pawns of War

Contained: Fall 1997

Two Death Eaters came on the train looking for Harry. Neville informed them that he was not anywhere oTwo Death Eaters came on the train looking for Harry. Neville informed them that he was not anywhere on the train. All the while, blocking me from their view. They continued to check every train car, but left after a short while.

As we pulled up to the station, Neville and Dean both suggested that I stay on the train and head home. I understood that it was out of concern for my safety and they were only keeping my best interests in mind, but I refused. I would not be made fearful of Vol- he who must not be named. I exited the train with the rest of them and we were greeted by Filch.

“No rides this year,” he informed us. “You’ll have to walk.”

The hike to the castle was nearly two hours. The only light that could be seen was the one Filch carried at the head of the group. Hagrid hung towards the end of the group to make sure that nobody was left behind or would get lost in the dark.

Neville, Dean and I stayed near the middle. As we approached the castle, I can say that I hardly recognized it. This warm, welcoming school that had become my home away from home was suddenly nightmarish. It was cold and dark looking. A few lights flickered in the windows, but everything else was black. I did not know this place anymore.

“Have you heard anything from Harry, Clare?” a high-pitched voice spoke. I jumped slightly. Luna Lovegood had appeared seemingly out of thin air beside me. Something she did regularly. I felt the eyes of Dean and Neville on me as they awaited my response.

“No. I’ve heard nothing since the wedding,” I said.

“Neither have I, but I just thought I’d ask.”

I stared ahead. I was praying that the three of them were alright. With known Death Eaters beginning to take over high-power positions, their number of hiding spots would be seemingly limited. I could only guess what they could be doing, but even then I was probably wrong.

“What about Draco Malfoy?” Luna piped up again. “You two were dating more or less, no?”

An overwhelming amount of emotions swelled up inside of me. A lump began to form in my throat and I could feel tears stinging at my eyes. I was grateful for the darkness that enveloped us as we walked to the castle. I used it as my mask to hide all of the feeling flowing through me.

“He’s a Death Eater,” I spat out angrily. “What more is there to know about him?”

The tears began to fall down my face, and snot plugged my nostrils. I did my very best to hide my sniffling, but it was to no prevail. Neville placed a hand on my back and brought me closer to his side as he gently rubbed the area.

I did my best to recompose myself as the castle entry drew nearer and nearer. I wiped all traces of my tears and snot away with my sleeves as we entered.

Our luggage had somehow made it before us, and house elves were randomly screening certain luggage trunks. For what was unclear, but looking back at Hagrid, he did not seem too pleased.

The corridors were quiet despite the population of students being led down them. It was eerie. Chills went down my spine as we made our way to the Great Hall. I began to feel as if none of us were meant to come to Hogwarts this year, as if instead of being led to the opening feast, we were being led to be feasted upon. I looked at Neville to try to read his expression, and I saw some fear in his eyes.

When the doors to the Great Hall opened, I half expected all of us to be immediately killed by Death Eaters, but that did not happen.

Instead, we entered a nearly empty hall. None of the feasting tables were in place, and the head table was gone. On the rising steps stood Professor Snape in his black robes, along with a select few of the other professors. Off to the left, a few Death Eaters stood including Lucius and Draco Malfoy.

“Good evening, students,” Snape began, “and welcome back to Hogwarts.”

I stared at Draco. He stood in the same manner as his father, rigid and stone-faced. I hated that he was up there. I hated that he was a Death Eater.

As Snape drawled on about the improvements being introduced this year, Draco’s eyes scanned the crowd. He met my gaze and for a second I thought I saw a hint of sadness behind them.

I looked away and attempted to focus on what Snape was saying. When I looked up once more, I saw that Draco had once again looked away, but that Lucius was focused on me. The amount of disgust written on his face worried me. I knew then that my return to Hogwarts was a definite risk I was taking.

When we were finally released to go to our dormitories, I followed Luna and the others back to Ravenclaw tower. I tried to keep my head clear as we walked. I was here for school, nothing more.

As soon as I thought this, an arm from a shadowy corridor pulled me away from the group. My heart skipped a beat out of fear, but then his clean-cut hair and gray eyes came into view.

“Draco Malfoy, let go of me this instant!” I hissed.

He trapped me between himself and the wall. His hands held my arms as his breath carefully danced across me cheek. Several students passed, but we were hidden in the darkness. Before I knew it the warmth of his lips were on mine. His aroma flooded my senses. Most girls might have found this hot or romantic, but I was not having it. I shoved him away from me. I went in to slap him for kissing me without consent, but he grabbed my wrist.

“Draco, let go!” I hissed again. Trying not to be too loud.

“Clare, listen to me.”

“I don’t have to hear anything from you,” I spat. “Now for the last time, Draco, let me go this instant!”

“Why are you here?” he asked. “Why did you come back?”

I looked him in the eyes, “Because I have just as much of a right to be here as you do.”

I finally jerked my arm away from his hold and speed walked to the Ravenclaw dormitories. I did not hear Draco follow me, but he followed my thoughts. He stained them with his kiss. My head felt cloudy and muddled. There was no way I was going to get him out of my head any time soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
I finished this earlier than expected. If you could not already tell, there will be a lot of time jumps in this story. I planned it to be this way. Hope y'all enjoyed it!