Status: New chapters coming! Updating when I can!

Pawns of War

Paranoia: Fall 1993

Very slowly, I was able to get a conversation beyond Potions homework started between Draco and myself. I could tell at first he was hesitant about opening up to a muggle-born. It’s easier to remain indifferent acquaintances than make the attempt to be friends – especially with his family’s known background. But I was willing to give it a try.

All of our conversations were confined to our time in the library. Neither of us would approach the other outside of there or our classes. Occasionally a small smile would be shot to each other in the corridors or across the Great Hall during the dinner feasts. I knew that having a muggle-born friend would be a new experience for Draco, and was patient in getting the relationship started.

The day that our newfound friendship was put to the test, however, was the day that I finished my Potions study-work before him.

He looked over the questions and asked me to explain how I came to some of the answers. When I explained, he seemed satisfied by my grasp on the work.

A small smile itched at his lips as he said, “Well, I guess you don’t really need a tutor anymore do you, Clare?”

A lump formed in my throat, and I could not respond. There was a mischievous glint in his eye as he turned back to his paper. I could not say it aloud, but I did not want Draco to stop studying with me. I enjoyed our conversations that we’d been having. I enjoyed his company. Part of me wished that I done the work slower, but it was too late.

The next day, however, Draco showed up to our usual table in the library. When he sat down and began discussing the day’s events with me, I knew that everything would be okay.

Harry, on the other hand, did not like the amount of time that I was spending with Draco as of late. He invited me to the Gryffindor Common Room one afternoon to discuss his dislike of our friendship. Although I realized that he was doing what he believed to be right, I could not sit through it without speaking up.

“Bloody hell, Harry!” I finally exclaimed. “I get it! You don’t like Draco Malfoy, but just because you don’t like him, does not in any way give you the right to tell me I can’t befriend him!”

Ron snorted at this. He attempted to cover his mouth and hide this with a cough as I looked over at him. Hermione elbowed him in the side.

“Malfoy is not someone to make friends with muggle-borns,” Harry stated. “I think he’s planning to do something, and I don’t think that it is anything good.”

“Harry, you’re being paranoid.”

“I think I have a small right to be,” he said. “The man who helped Voldemort kill my parents is on the loose and is more than likely going to come and attempt to kill me too. The Malfoy’s are well known to have been a part of Voldemort’s inner circle. They would never just randomly become friends with someone who wasn’t a pureblood. They choose their friends carefully and strategically. So look me in the eye and say that it isn’t strange that Malfoy ignored you for two years, and then randomly decided to now start hanging around you, Clare.”

He had a point. Draco and I had avoided each other during our previous two years, but there were things that he did not know about. Most importantly was our confrontation in the boys bathroom our second year. He even reminded me about it during the first night that he tutored me. I wanted to believe that I had left an impression on Draco, and that he was changing – albeit slowly – because of it. I could not assume automatically that he had some sort of master plan in order to annihilate Harry or myself. I would not believe capable of doing that.

But I knew Harry would not listen to me if I told him these things. “I’ll be careful,” I eventually told him. “I swear to you that I will not tell him anything you do not wish for me to tell, and if he starts acting strange at any occasion I will warn you.”

All three gave a hesitant nod and together we all walked down to the dinner feast. As we walked into the Great Hall, I noticed Draco staring at our group. He looked irritated.

I walked over to the Ravenclaw table and began filling up my plate with boiled potatoes, roast, and other things. I could feel eyes on me. When I looked up, Draco was focused on me with a questioning look. I flashed him a genuine smile as I plopped a bit of potato into my mouth. His look softened and a smirk overtook his face. I turned away and began talking to Padma about Herbology, but occasionally, Draco and I would catch each other’s eyes and smirk like we had some sort of secret. Little did I know then how big of a secret our relationship would have to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you think Harry is onto something about Draco? This was not the chapter that I was initially going to post, but I like it anyways! Hope y'all enjoyed it as well!