Falling in the Black

The Mistake

The three of them were quickly on their way to Germany, once there things became chaotic quickly. By the time Steve was dropped out of the quinjet they could plainly see a man standing over the crowd that was kneeling before him. Raylee realized that it was Loki standing there and she tried her hardest to look around for any sign of Clint being there also. Natasha’s voice brought her attention back to Loki.

“Loki, drop the weapon and stand down.” Natasha said into the PA system.

Loki smirked at them and shot a blue blast out of his scepter towards the quinjet but Natasha and Raylee were quick to maneuver it out of the way. The two of them stood there watching as Steve and Loki fought. “Nat can you get a clean shot on him?” Raylee asked as she still scanned the area for any sign of Clint again.

“The guy is all over the place.” Natasha said sounding mad.

Then suddenly AC/DC started playing on the quinjet’s speaker system and Raylee looked over at Natasha when she heard her groan loudly. “Agent Romanoff did you miss me?” Tony’s voice could be heard and it hit Raylee why Natasha had groaned.

“Is he always that arrogant?” Raylee asked her and Natasha smirked.

“Yes he is.” Natasha said as they watched Loki quickly surrender to Iron Man.

Once Loki was loaded into the jet they began to make their way back to the helicarrier. Natasha and Raylee were a little weary of the storm that seem to have come out nowhere. “Has he said anything?” they heard Fury ask over the headsets.

“Not a word.” Natasha answered him.

“Just get him here we are low on time.” Fury said.

“I don’t like it.” Steve said to Tony.

“What, rock of ages giving up so easily?” Tony said sarcastically.

“I don’t remember it ever being that easy, this guy packs a wallop.” Steve said glancing over at Loki.

“You’re still spry, for an older fellow. What’s your thing, pilates?” Tony asked and everyone could see the confusion on Steve’s face.

Raylee and Natasha both were trying to ignore Tony’s jabs at Steve as they were trying to pay close attention to the sky that was getting very violent on them. “Where is this coming from?” Natasha said as she was trying to keep the quinjet leveled then a flash of lightning lit it up.

“What’s the matter? Scared of a little lightning?” Steve asked turning to look at Loki now.

“I’m not overly fond of what follows.” Loki said sounding truly worried.

There was a loud crash of thunder then something landed on the roof of the quinjet. “What the hell was that?” Raylee asked looking back at the guys behind them.

When Tony opened the back hatch someone jumped in and was kneeling on the ramp then he quickly stood up. He knocked Tony back and walked over to Loki snatching him from his seat by the throat and jumped out of the jet with him. Steve and Tony stood there in shock for a moment.

“Now there’s that guy.” Tony said sarcastically.

“Another Asgardian?” Natasha asked as she glanced over her shoulder at them.

“Think the guy is friendly?” Steve asked.

“Doesn’t matter. If he frees Loki or kills him, the tesseract is lost.” Tony said walking to the back of the jet and was about to jump out.

“Stark we need a plan of attack!” Steve snapped at him.

“I have a plan. ATTACK!” Tony said jumping out.

Steve quickly grabbed a parachute to follow behind him. “I’d sit this one out, Cap.” Natasha said as she glanced back at him.

“This is one you don’t want to get involve with.” Raylee said agreeing with Natasha.

“I don’t see how I can.” Steve said shaking his head at them.

“These guys come from legends, they’re basically Gods.” Natasha said hoping to convince him.

“There’s only one God, Ma’am and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t dress like that.” Steve said then he jumped out of the jet.

“I guess he wants to find that out himself.” Raylee said to Natasha as they both shook their heads.

Once things were settled between the egos of the men the whole group were on their way back to the helicarrier. Raylee was now worried like Steve had been on how too easy this was, something was not right and she couldn’t figure out what it was. After watching the armed SHIELD agents escort Loki to the cage Raylee went to her room. The last couple of days have seemed to be getting to her now, her nerves were at their end and all she wanted was to know that Clint was alive and ok. Seeing as she wasn’t a part of the Avengers or been asked to be, Raylee chose not to go to the briefing room with the rest of them. It might have been a scrapped project but that didn’t mean they weren’t all well aware of the fact that it was needed right now. Raylee laid back in her bed closing her eyes remembering the last conversation she had with Clint just before he left as she fell asleep.

“I don’t understand why Fury keeps punishing me.” Raylee growled as she slammed her dresser draw closed. “You and Natasha are both leaving for missions and I’m stuck here, this isn’t fair.”

“You screwed up big in Ireland.” Clint said looking at her as he leaned against the door opening.

“I know I screwed up, you don’t have to keep reminding me.” Raylee snapped at him. “We all made it out alive and I got everything that was asked of me.”

“Raylee, Patrick was about to stab me in the damn heart and you hesitated on shooting him.” Clint snapped at her as he pushed himself off the door and moved further into the room, he was mad she acted like it was no big deal. “I told you to never fall for a mark, it complicates things more than it should be.”

“I wasn’t falling for him and if I was that is not your damn business. My personal life is none of your concern.” Raylee yelled at him. “What I do outside of SHIELD is on me not you!”

“You weren’t outside of SHIELD! You were undercover and you fucked up!” he yelled at her. “Why the hell did you cry when the bastard died if you weren’t falling for him?”

“I thought he was different, I thought he could change.” She said to Clint and he shook his head at her. “I was trying to help him.”

“He didn’t want your help he wanted to kill you and would have if I didn’t show up there.” Clint yelled at her. “When you let your emotions cloud your judgment things go bad and you let that happen, we taught you better than that… I taught you better than that!”

“I don’t need you chastising me also.” Raylee snapped at him. “You have a damn mission to get to so just fucking leave. I don’t want to be anywhere near you!”

“Fuck you then!” he growled at her. “I was trying to help you.”

“I don’t want or need your help!” she yelled at his retreating back and he left without responding back to her.


Raylee didn’t want that to be the last conversation she had with Clint, she wanted to apologize for being such a bitch to him. She shot up in her bed and glanced around seeing she was alone again. After sitting there breathing deeply for a while and not being able to take the silence of her room anymore Raylee climbed out of the bed and just roamed around the halls avoiding the bridge and labs the whole time. Just as she was about to turn one of the corners she heard Loki’s voice.

“There is not many people who can sneak up on me.” Loki said.

“But you figured I would come.” Raylee heard Natasha say.

“After… after whatever torturers Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend. A balm and I would cooperate.” Loki said in a very calm voice to Natasha.

“I want to know what you have done to Agent Barton.” Natasha said to him and the worry was clearly heard in her voice.

“I’d say I expanded his mind.” Loki said in an almost cheerful but evil voice.

“And once you’ve won. Once you’re king of the mountain, what happens to his mind?” Natasha asked.

“Is this love, Agent Romanoff?” Loki said to her, Raylee felt her chest tighten at his words. She wanted to walk away and not hear any more of the conversation but she couldn’t get her legs to move.

“Love is for children, I owe him a debt.” Natasha said in a calm voice.

“Tell me.” Loki said in an equally calm voice.

“Before I worked for SHIELD I uh… well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skillset.” She said to him. “I didn’t care who I used it for or on. I got on SHIELD’s radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call.”

“And what will you do if I vow to spare him?”

“Not let you out.” Natasha said in a very calm voice but because Raylee has worked with her for so long already she was able to hear the anger in it.

Loki’s laughter to Natasha’s response had Raylee’s blood boiling. “Ah… no but I like this, your world in the balance and you bargain for one man.” Loki said in an evil voice.

“Regimes fall every day, I tend not to weep over that. I’m Russian… or I was.”

“What is it you want?” Loki asked her.

“It’s really not that complicated. I’ve got red in my ledger, I like to wipe it out.”

“Can you? Can you wipe out that much red? Drakov’s daughter, Sao Pablo, the hospital fire? Barton told me everything, I’m actually surprised Agent Matthews isn’t standing here with us… Oh dear Patrick what must he think wait she killed him. She is such a disappointment to Clint, all his wasted energy on her.”

“Leave her out of this Loki.” Natasha snapped at him.

“You’re ledger is dripping, it’s gushing red and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything?” Loki snapped at her. “This is the basest sentimentality, this is a child’s prayer… PATHETIC!” he yelled at her. “You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code… something that makes up for the horrors but they are a part of you, and they will never go away!” Loki hit the cell very hard causing Natasha to flinch and even Raylee jumped at the sound she heard. “I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you! Slowly, intimately in every way he knows you fear! And when he’ll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams, I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!”

“You’re a monster!” Natasha said and Raylee could hear the fakeness in her voice.

Loki let out a wicked laugh. “No you brought the monster.”

“So…Banner… that’s your play.” Natasha said being back to her calm poised self.

“What?” Loki said in a very shocked voice.

“Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab, I'm on my way. Send Thor as well.” Natasha said into her ear piece just as she looked up at Loki one last time. “Thank you for your cooperation.”

Raylee heard Natasha leaving the room so she quickly hid behind the corner so Natasha wouldn’t see that she had heard the whole thing. Once she knew it was safe Raylee came back around the corner and looked at the door Natasha just ran out of, sucking in a deep breath Raylee opened the door and walked right in to see Loki still standing there with a dumb found look on his face.

“Agent Matthews have you also come to bargain for Barton’s life, if so I thought you should know his girlfriend has already tried and failed.” Loki said to Raylee and smirked when he noticed her breath hitch and the mention of girlfriend. “Was that a pang of jealousy I just saw?”

“You are an evil no good monster!” Raylee growled at him.

“I have been told that.” Loki said sarcastically. “You have really disappointed Barton, he told me all about Ireland and Patrick.”

“Fuck you!” Raylee yelled at him.

“Now, now that’s not proper language for a lady.” Loki said shaking his head at her. “No wonder Barton likes Agent Romanoff better.”

“I don’t have to listen to this.” Raylee said turning to walk away.

“No you don’t my lady but you should.” Loki said in a too sweet voice, Raylee stopped walking but didn’t turn back to face him. “I personally would have chosen you to stand by my side not her.”

“I’m not in the mood for you damn mind games.” Raylee said in an equally sweet voice.

“You might not be but my lady it would be much safer for you in here.” Loki said but she ignored him. “I wouldn’t go out there.” He said quietly with a smirk as she left him.

Just as she walked out of the room and back into the hall there was a loud explosion causing her to fall into one of the walls. All of sudden there was a lot of cluttered talking going on in her ear com. Raylee quickly climbed to her feet and started running towards the bridge so she could see what was going on. She had to get there and help out with anything she could do, Raylee headed out of the detention area and decided to cut through the equipment room to get there quicker. Raylee came to a sudden stop when she came face to face with Clint just as she heard Fury’s voice calling out Clint location over the ear com.

“Clint what’s going on with you?” Raylee said in a very soft voice as she took a step back, she needed to try and keep space between the two of them. “You have to fight this.”

Clint pulled an arrow out then raised his bow and aimed it at her. “Don’t move Agent Matthews.”

“Clint this isn’t you please don’t do this.” Raylee said just as Barton pulled back and was ready to fire the arrow.

Raylee knew she had no choice but to engage Clint in hopes of him realizing it was her. She ran at him at full speed then tried to drop to the floor as the arrow was released from his bow, her move was not quick enough and the arrow cut across her cheek as the tip slid by. Raylee felt the sting of the cut and blood start to slide down her cheek as she slid into Barton legs causing him to drop his bow and he fell to the ground next to her. Raylee tried to scramble to her feet to get away from him but he caught her ankle and yanked her back down. Raylee swung her other leg at him trying to kick his head but he caught it before it could make any contact with him. He yanked hard on both of her legs causing her to fall back hitting her head hard on the cat walk.

“Clint please don’t do this.” Raylee pleaded with him as she held her head and her eye sight began to see black dots as it blurred on her. “We are partners you have to fight this, we need you.”

“You don’t need my help, isn’t that what you said to me.” Barton growled at her as he pinned both of her legs under his knee then pulled out a knife. “You can’t even do your job right! I’m a threat and you plead with me rather than do what you are trained to do. You don’t deserve to be an agent, you’re pathetic and weak!”

“Get off me now Barton!” Raylee snapped at him as she lifted her torso up towards him to knock him off of her but that was her mistake. Raylee’s eyes went wide when she felt the knife he had pushed deep into her side. “Clint!” she said with a groan as tears quickly slid down her face.

“Clint what did you do?” Natasha screamed at him as she came running towards them.

Clint let Raylee fall back to the ground as he stood up with the bloody knife still in his hand. Natasha didn’t give him a chance to answer her she instantly ran at him, the two of them battled it out with each other. Natasha didn’t want to kill Clint but she was extremely mad after what he done to Raylee. When she could she would glance back at Raylee to make sure she was still breathing. Raylee watched them fight each other as she tried to put pressure on the wound to keep it from bleeding. Clint was trying to slash Natasha with the knife until she had no choice but to bite his wrist causing him to drop it. Natasha wrapped her legs around Clint’s neck flipping him over and put his arm in a lock while she hit his head off one of the rails. Clint went down hard and when he looked back up at her he almost looked like he had come to his senses.

“Natasha.” He breathed out in a low voice but she just stepped forward and knocked him out cold.

“Raylee!” Natasha said as she dropped to her knees next to her. “Ray you gotta stay with me here.” Natasha said as she put pressure on the stab wound and Raylee groaned from the pain it caused.

“Clint? Is Clint ok?” Raylee asked through gritted teeth.

“Don’t worry about Clint you just stay with me.” Natasha snapped at her. “Agent Matthews is down in the equipment room.” she said into her communicator.

Raylee looked behind Natasha and saw that Clint laying completely still on the ground. “Agent Coulson is down.” Fury said into the communicator.

“We have paramedics on the way to both locations.” Another agent said.

“They’re here… and they called it, send them to Agent Matthews.” Fury said and you could hear the anger and sadness in his voice. “Agent Matthews needs to be top priority, Agent Romanoff is she still breathing?”

“Yes I’m still breathing.” Raylee said in a low groan.

“You stay with us you hear me Agent Matthews.” Fury snapped into the communicator and she just grunted as a response.

The paramedics were franticly trying to stop the bleeding when Raylee finally loss conciseness. They quickly pulled her on a gurney and ran off to the infirmary, she needed to be rushed into surgery if they were going to have any chance in saving her life. Natasha stood there watching as some of the SHIELD agents pulled Clint off the floor and dragged him off to another room in the infirmary where they strapped him down to the bed. Everything that has happened so far this day was slowly staring to hit Natasha, one of her best friends was in surgery with a stab wound from the other best friend that was completely screwed in the head when he did it and another one of her good friends was now dead and all this was at the hands of Loki. Natasha felt the urge to avenge her friends and give them the justice they both deserved.