Falling in the Black

Survival

It had been a month since Raylee started her new assignment, when they said she was going to be with him around the clock they didn’t lie to her. Raylee only got time to herself when he was at the Triskelion labs where she didn’t have clearance to be. On one of the days of her free time Raylee took a ride a little outside of DC and looked around at the apartments there. She knew she would eventually need a place of her own and she wanted one that wasn’t tied to SHIELD and they knew nothing about, a safe house of her own off the grid.

Raylee ended up finding a perfect little studio apartment and rented it under an alias that no one knew except Tony because she had used it with him a couple of times. It took a few months for her to furnish it with simple things and also give it a few hidden spots to hide things that didn’t need to be found. Once it was together and she stocked it with all the necessary things like ammo, money, weapons and food that would not go bad Raylee stopped going around it to keep it off the grid.

Five months into her assignment Raylee was beginning to enjoy having a steady day to day assignment and her lunches with Steve were a great distraction. She had just got done having lunch with Steve when they crossed paths with Natasha for the first time since the trio were split up.

“Ray.” Natasha said smiling as she walked up to Steve and Raylee.

“Hey Nat.” Raylee said smiling back. “I didn’t know you were around.”

“I got a few things to handle before I leave on another mission.” Natasha said as she glanced between the two in front of her. “Cap.”

“Natasha.” He said with a smile. “Ray, I’ll give you a call later.” He said smiling at her then nodded at Natasha as he walked away.

“Ray what is going on?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Nothing.” Raylee said shaking her head as she began walking and Natasha followed her. “Steve and I hang out when we both have time.”

“You got that look in your eye and I know that look.”

Raylee sucked in a deep breath and slowly released it. “Nat really… you did this with Clint and it was nothing, don’t start it with Steve.”

“What has happened with you and Clint?”

“Clint and I are just friends and it will never be more than that and the same goes for me and Steve.”

“Have you heard from him?” she asked.

“No, I tried to call but I guess he’ll call me when he is ready to talk.”

“Alright.” Natasha said knowing it was a bit touchy with both of them. “So how has it gone with you and this scientist?”

“That old man does nothing but work in the labs here all day then reads all night.” Raylee said shaking her head. “I’m bored as hell and my babysitter drives me nuts when he is around but I’m getting used to it.”

“Your babysitter?!” she said in a shock voice. Raylee sucked in another deep breath before going into the story of Rollins again. “I can’t believe Fury would allow that.” Natasha said shaking her head.

“Well he did and I’m over it now.” Raylee said shrugging her shoulders. “The upside… my scientist is still alive and I just got seven months at best left with him then I take him back to Germany.”

“What are you going to do afterwards?”

Raylee shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know… I was thinking of maybe sticking around here for a while.”

“Why?” Natasha asked in shock.

“I kind of like having a steady place around me.” Raylee said with a small smile but that didn’t ease Natasha’s mind. “Nat you and Clint have this whole Avengers thing going for you and I don’t need to be the third wheel.”

“You’re not a third wheel with us, you are my partner as much as Clint is.”

“Alexander Pierce said that I could be a great asset here and with the right amount of training I could join the STRIKE team so I’m thinking about doing that.”

“Just think things through before you decide.” Nat said patting her shoulder. “I gotta go but call me sometime and we’ll get together.”

“It would be easier if you just call me when you’re in town.” Raylee said smiling as they parted ways.

Raylee went to the labs to retrieve the scientist and was shocked to see Rollins leaning against the wall waiting for her when she got off the elevator. She smiled at him and started walking towards the door to signal the guard she was there for him. Rollins followed closely behind her with a smile on his face.

“So did the Black Widow try and talk you out of joining STRIKE?” he asked and Raylee glanced over at him wondering how he knew.

“How did you know about our conversation?”

“One of the guys from the team was nearby when you two were talking.” He said shrugging.

“No she didn’t and I told Rumlow I had to think about it so things are not final just yet.” Raylee said as the scientist walked out. “Are you ready Dr. Finzel?”

“Yes, Agent Matthews.” He said while he walked pass her to the elevator.

“Our guest doesn’t seem to enjoy your company, Agent Matthews.” Rollins said with a smirk on his face.

“I’m there to keep him safe and alive not make friends.” Raylee said as they walked up behind the man.

As the next few months went by Raylee spent more and more of it with Rollins and some of the guys from STRIKE team training just in case she had decided to join the team. Even though Rollins was arrogant and egotistical she did like his training tactics and the things they taught her. There were many times he got the best of her but there were a few times she bested him and he was not happy about it but Rumlow enjoyed it. Between the training she received from the STRIKE team coupled with what she learned for Natasha and Clint made her feel like she could take on the world.

Lunch with Steve became routine for them, they meet at least once a week or more if they could to have lunch and to explore the city when she was able to do so. He was happy she was beginning to find a way to fit in with the agents in DC but he told her to always stay true to herself in the process. Their lunches had taken on a whole new level and he was now more like a mentor she looked up to. Fury actually like how close she had gotten with Steve more than her closeness with Tony.

When word reached Raylee that Tony and Pepper got into some trouble she was mad that SHIELD wouldn’t let her go help. When she tried contacting Tony without their permission she never got through to him. The excuse they gave her about not being able to help was that after the New York incident SHIELD needed to be off the grid for a while and she needed to see her current assignment through to the end. Rumlow was nice enough to keep her posted on what was going on and was the first to call her when everything was cleared up with Tony. Once she received that news Raylee called Tony the first chance she got.

The year long babysitting assignment was finally coming to an end and it was time for Raylee to get the scientist back to Germany. She was surprised that Rollins wasn’t taking the trip with her but instead they were sending two other agents in his place of him. After being briefed on where they were flying into and how she had to get him safely back to the labs out there they were on their way.
The quinjet landed at one of the secret SHIELD bases about a couple of hours from where she had to take the scientist. When they got off the quinjet a black SUV was waiting for them to transport the scientist in. The two agents climbed in front and Raylee got in back with the scientist. The ride to the lab was quiet, the three agents stood quiet watching the surroundings and the scientist sat there reading a book he had.

Taking unmarked roads was the only way they figured was quicker to get to the labs and back to the base. Raylee watched as the road went by her, some of it was wide open fields that seemed to go for miles and some were in very dense wooded areas. She did her best to keep her eyes on everything around them just like the agent that sat in the front passenger seat. Neither of them had liked the option that was given to them but they didn’t question their orders.

The silence in the SUV was broken about an hour into their ride when a single gunshot rang out killing the agent that was driving. Raylee quickly pulled her gun out as she pulled the scientist down and covered him. Something was very wrong and she knew it, no bullet should have penetrated the SUV with a single shot, it should have taken a hell of lot more. Raylee knew all the SHIELD vehicles were heavily armored and it took a lot more than that to kill any of them. The other agent with her was trying to gain control of the SUV from the passenger side but they slammed into a tree before he could. At the rate of speed they were traveling caused Raylee’s body to slam into the seats in front of her. She groaned in pain as she glanced up at the other agent that was alive and he looked like he was barely breathing.

Raylee looked out the side window to see a shadowy figure advancing on the right side of the vehicle. She quickly looked to her left and saw nothing so she tried to open the door but it wouldn’t budge so she kicked at it until the door open then she tried to pull the scientist out of it. When she exited the vehicle and turned she was met with a silver fist that she quickly avoided. The sound of metal crunching rang loud in her ear. Raylee looked up to only see a masked man making another attempt to hit her and she dropped to the ground avoiding the hit again. The only thing visible to her were his eyes, the cold, lifeless look in them was something she doesn’t ever remember seeing in another person. Just by the look in his eyes Raylee knew there was a slim chance any of them would live this attack.

“Run!” she screamed at the scientist as she fired a shot at the guy but he deflected the bullet with his arm. Raylee looked up at him in shock when she heard the clink of metal and in that moment he launched his other fist into her jaw. After hearing her own bones break she only felt the pain from the hit for just a moment because she black out seconds later.

The pilots on the quinjet began to get worried when the agents didn’t return within four hours like they had said they would. It wasn’t like any agent to not get back promptly unless there was trouble. When they contacted the Triskelion they were told to return to DC if the agents didn’t return in the next hour and they would send a search team out for them. Doing as they were told an hour later they departed Germany and went back to DC without Raylee and her team.

When Raylee’s eyes opened again the sun was down and she was in a lot of pain. Knowing that her jaw was broken and talking was out of the question Raylee slowly climbed to her feet and stumble around to the other side of the SUV only to find the scientist lying dead on the ground. Sliding down to the ground and leaning back against the tire Raylee pulled her phone out of her pocket but got mad when she saw there was no signal. Out of anger Raylee hit her head back against the tire only causing herself more pain.

When she reached back into her pocket hoping to find something useful she realized that she had a location transmitter with her, Clint had given that to her years ago and told her if she was ever in trouble all she had to do was turn it on. That was a safety net the three of them had with each other and no one knew about it. Figuring this was as good as time as any to see if it really worked, Raylee flipped the switch on and let her eyes close again.

Natasha and Steve were sitting in Fury’s office at the Triskelion both very upset to hear about Raylee’s fate. They were told the tracking device in the vehicle was disabled and they couldn’t find Raylee and the two agents she was with. Natasha stood up and began pacing the room out of anger, she knew something wasn’t right, they claimed the vehicle was off the grid and more than likely the entire team was either rouge or dead. Just as she turned back to walk towards Fury and Steve Natasha’s phone chirped, she pulled it out and her eyes went wide when she saw the distress signal.

“Ray isn’t dead.” Natasha said looking back up at them then she looked back down at her phone and hit the signal to bring up the location. “I have to go.”

Steve quickly stood and blocked her path before she could leave while Fury stood there looking at her confused. “Natasha what is going on?” Steve asked in a calm voice.

“What do you know that we don’t?” Fury asked walking over to them.

“I know where she is, Clint gave all of us this location transmitter.” She said looking at him. “No one knows about it so no one else would turn that on but her.”

“Let’s go.” Steve said gesturing for her to lead the way. “I’m going with.”

“Not a word to anyone.” Fury said sternly. “Get her to safety then call me on a secure line.”

Natasha and Steve both nodded at him and quickly left, Fury aided them in securing a quinjet without questions on why they needed it. When she was starting up the jet Natasha’s phone rang again, this time it was Clint calling. “Barton I’m heading towards her now do you want me to pick you up on my way?” she asked as she looked at Steve.

“What’s going on?” he asked in a concern voice. “Why is Raylee sending a distress signal?”

“I don’t know what happened yet but I do know she went missing eight hours ago and was presumed dead or a rogue agent.”

“What the fuck was she doing Germany?”

“Escorting the scientist back there but something went wrong, am I picking you up?”

“No, I’m sure you can handle this… are you alone?” he asked in a calm voice.

“Cap is with me.” She said in a confused voice. “Barton we are talking about Raylee… you’re not coming with me?” she asked again as Steve looked over at her with a raised eyebrow.

“No… you and Cap got it.” He said hanging up before she could respond to him.

Raylee’s eyes opened again to see the morning dawn slowly lighting up the sky, she didn’t realize that she had been out that long. She glanced around and nothing had changed, she was still leaning against the SUV and the dead bodies were all still there. Thinking the transmitter didn’t work Raylee climbed to her feet again with all intentions of finding her own way to safety or at least until she had signal on her phone again. Just as she pushed off the SUV Raylee felt like everything was spinning. Not only was her jaw broken but she knew she was concussed pretty bad.

Leaning back against the SUV she closed her eyes in hopes the world would stop spinning long enough for her to move. Her eyes popped open when she heard a quinjet hovering close by, she looked up long enough to see Steve jumping down. Breathing a sigh of relief Raylee let her body slide back down to the ground as Steve ran towards her when his feet hit the ground.

“Ray.” He called out as he got closer. “Ray, are you ok?” he asked squatting down in front of her as his eyes scanned her body for any visible injuries, the only injury that was visible to him was the large bruise that took up most of the left side of her face. Raylee shook her head no knowing that she couldn’t verbally answer him. “What’s wrong, where are you hurt?” slowly lifting her hand up, Raylee laid her hand softly over the left side of her jaw then lightly tapped the side of her head. “You can’t talk?” Raylee slowly shook her head no. “Nat, I think her jaw is broke.” He said into the ear com and Raylee nodded her head confirming what he thought.

“Cap, get her to the clearing we saw and we can get her out of here.” Natasha said as she flew the jet to the clearing to land.

Steve lifted Raylee up slowly and glanced around to get some small knowledge of what looked to have happened before he began walking towards the clearing, she laid her head down on his shoulder and went to close her eyes again but he stopped her. “Raylee Matthews open your eyes and look at me.” He said nudging her with his shoulder and she opened them. “You stay awake.” He said sternly and she nodded her head. “I refuse to allow you to slip into another coma, you understand that?” she nodded her head and completely agreed with him.

Once at the clearing he moved faster towards the jet as the back hatch opened for them. When Steve board the jet the hatch closed as Natasha looked back at them. “How is she?”

“Broken jaw and possible concussion.” He said as he laid her down and grabbed a blanket to wrap around her. “Hospital or safe house?” he asked looking over at Natasha.

“I radioed Fury he has a connection that we can trust meeting us at the safe place.” Natasha said as she turned back to the controls.

Raylee grabbed Steve’s hand as he got up to walk away and he looked down at her. She used her other hand and used sign language to thank him and he smiled down at her. “No need to thank me, I told you before we’re friends.” He said smiling down at her.

Raylee tried to smile back but it hurt, he squeezed her hand one more time then laid it flat on her stomach as he went to go help Natasha pilot the plane. Whenever she felt her eyes closing one of the two would snap at her to keep them open. She had wished she could tell them that she did sleep for two long periods of time before they got there but a broken jaw kept her from being able to do that.

Natasha landed the quinjet in a field to let Steve and Raylee out then she flew it over to an airbase knowing it could be tracked. Once she left the airbase on foot Natasha stole a vehicle and went to retrieve the other two. When they weren’t far from the safe zone Fury told her to go to they ditched the stolen vehicle and made the rest of the way by foot. Raylee held on tightly to Steve as she walked next him, everyone knew they would raise red flags if he was carrying her.

When they got to the building Natasha went through the back to scope the place out while Steve took Raylee to a bench across the street and sat there with her. Natasha came out the front a few minutes later and waved them in. Steve and Raylee noticed the inside had looked like a clinic of some kind and the doctor in there quickly took her away.

Steve and Natasha sat outside the doors he took her through and waited for him to come back out. After taking x-rays and seeing that her jaw was broken in multiple places he knew he had to do surgery. Steve patiently waited next to the doors again while Natasha paced the length of the hall. The doctor came out after he was done and explained he place a metal plate on her jaw and she need a couple months of recovery time. Natasha walked away to contact Fury and give him an update while Steve went in to see her.

Raylee was still out but he sat down next to her and a few minutes later Natasha came back in and sat in the chair on the other side. The two of them sat there waiting for to wake up again, they both knew it was going to be a long night and neither planned on sleeping until her eyes opened so they got comfortable.