Status: Work in Progress.

Wolf Girl

Preface

"Supper is in 5 minutes, kiddos! Make sure you're inside and ready to eat!"
Kita and Blaze were romping through the meadow of daisies and purple wild flowers when Kita's mom called them. The girls looked at each other and grinned, knowing their moms had made their favorite; grilled veggies and potato boats. The world was pure bliss to two five year old girls, especially when they were best friends and never had to worry about giving each other up. Kita and Blaze made a best friend pact last year, stating to never become separated from one another, or let anyone else take them down. Their parents had taught them that there was nothing more important in the world than love and friendship. Kita and Blaze took that to heart.
The smells coming from the RV were heavenly to Kita. She spent most of her day running around her meadow, only breaking for a short moment to eat a butterfly PB&J. Her mom knew that butterflies were her favorite, and became an artist when it came to making sandwiches. She was able to carve almost any animal out of a PB&J. She did butterflies for Kita almost every day, because the little girl never requested anything more. Blaze wanted all sorts of patters; flowers, honey bees, even cats and dogs. Kita's mom learned how to do every single one of them, never giving up even when it got hard.
After a few short minutes into the delicious grilled veggies mixed into the adorable little potato boats that Kita loved so much, Blaze's dad dropped a bombshell that shattered Kita's whole world.
"Guess what, kids? We're moving the RV tomorrow!"
Kita's heart sank. Why would they ever want to leave the meadow? This was the most beautiful place they had ever been. The lakeside was too sandy, the forest was too buggy, and the sand dunes were too dry. The meadow had everything they could have ever needed. There was a lake off in the distance to get clean, there were trees everywhere for shade, and a big open field for all the sunshine and activities they could ever need. The town over was so close, her mom and dad were only ever gone for one hour by walking to get all the food they needed. Nothing would ever be the same without the meadow.
"We decided that we've been here for a month; we don't want to disturb this beautiful place anymore, Kita baby," her mother added when she noticed the sadness in the small child's blue eyes. "We'll come back someday."
But someday wasn't good enough for Kita. She looked at Blaze. Her best friend hardly even noticed the fact that they were leaving. Blaze loved going to new places, she loved seeing new things. Kita normally did, too, and the girls would always go to bed sharing hushed whispers and excited stories about the new place they were going to live, but Kita felt an attraction to the meadow. They have never been in the same place twice, and Kita knew how hard it would be to say goodbye.
"Why don't we go make one last flower crown before we go, okay?" Kita asked Blaze.
The red-headed girl looked over at her and grinned. "Lets make everyone a flower crown! We can press them so we can have them forever!" Blaze had quite the impressive collection of flower crowns. Kita preferred to leave them behind, so everyone knew they had been there, but she nodded nonetheless.
The girls went bursting out of the RV, excited screams trailing behind them like ribbons, innocence bursting from their seams. They picked all the flowers their hands could hold, and sat under the oak tree that had harbored so many picnics, that they had climbed a thousand times, and became their perfect nap spot on warm days. Kita would miss the tree, and the patch of moss directly beneath it. She had never felt moss so soft. She wished she could bring it with her, wherever they went.
Kita and Blaze knit together the flower crowns until it got dark. Blaze rose, and stated she was going inside for the night. Kita nodded, promising to follow in just a few minutes. She wanted to spend some time alone with her meadow. To get one last feel of the moss beneath her back, to hold the leaves of the oak tree to her heart one last time. To smell the fresh scent coming off the lake down the hill before finally saying goodbye forever. Kita closed her eyes.

--


She woke to complete darkness. The stars glistened above her head, saying hello for the first time all day. The fireflies danced about her face, and white moths fluttered past, glowing in the light of the moon. She rubbed her eyes, unaware she had even fallen asleep. She was at peace for a moment, until she remembered they were leaving the meadow. Kita felt a single tear drip off her face at the thought, knowing she could never come back to her beautiful home. But the RV was her real home, and she had to go back. Her mother was likely very upset with all the time she spent outside.
When Kita stood and began heading back to the RV, she noticed something very strange. She turned around and saw the hill that led back to the lake. She turned to the side and saw trees all around her. When she turned back to the path that the RV was once on, it was confirmed that it was no longer there. Why would they go into town without me, she thought. But they had never taken the RV into town. They always walked, even when there were bags upon bags of groceries. Kita spun again, hoping she was facing the wrong direction, even though she knew she was not. There was no RV, there was no mom, or dad or Blaze. Her family was gone, her home was gone, and all that remained was a little girl and her meadow. Unable to help herself, Kita started crying. The meadow no longer felt like home, it was full of terror and monsters. She was alone, without even the slightest clue how to fix it. She didn't know where to go, or who to go to. Kita sat under the oak tree and wailed.
Somewhere in the distance, a wolf howled.