Caved

Ridicule

“I know we talked about cremation,” Christine, the funeral home director begins, “Is this still what you want?” She asks.
Tyler nods, “Yes, grans always wanted her final resting place to be by the old peach tree of her home. I want to spread her ashes around the tree.”
“That’s a very lovely idea,” Christine says with a warm smile. “We will take care of everything, I just need you to sign these forms.” She says while sliding the forms across the table for Tyler to sign. “Did you want to be there for the –”
“No.” Tyler says while shaking her head.
“Okay. The process takes a few days and I will give you a call when you can pick up the ashes.” Christine says.
“Thank you.” Tyler says. They stand to shake hands before Tyler leaves.

Tyler gets into her car and heads to Sal’s. She’s not surprise when she pulls into the parking lot and sees Ethan’s car there.
“Hi Sue,” Tyler says walking to the counter. She takes a seat at the bar. Sue pours her a cup of coffee.
“Hi honey. How are you holding up?” Sue asks.
“I’m alright.” Tyler says and pours some sugar into her mug. “Christine said the cremation should only take a few days. I want to spread her ashes on Monday.” Sue nods, following along. “She would want you to be there.” Tyler says and Sue smiles warmly.
“Of course I’ll be there.” She agrees. Tyler returns her smile. “By the way, that boy asked for you.” Sue says nodding in Ethan’s direction.
Tyler rolls her eyes. “I don’t know what he wants with me.” She says and walks to his booth.
“You’re persistent.” Tyler says flatly.
“You fascinate me.” Ethan says and stares at Tyler intensely.
“And you’re beginning to creep me out.” Tyler responds to which Ethan chuckles.
“I leave town soon.” Ethan says. He stirs his coffee with a spoon and takes a long sip. Tyler stares at him, waiting for him to say something else. “You should come with me.”
Tyler laughs hysterically. Ethan watches her amused. “Are you serious?” She finally asks.
“Yes, I am serious.” He responds. Tyler stops laughing.
“Why? You don’t know me at all, and I don’t know anything about you.”
“There’s nothing for you here. You know this.” Tyler says. His grey eyes appear two shades darker.
“And where is home for you?” Tyler asks, amusing Ethan’s ridiculous request.
“Seattle.” He says.
“And what if I don’t like it there?”
“Then I’ll fly you home.”
“There’s no way.” Tyler says and leans back in her seat.
“Well,” He starts, “I’m not leaving until next Wednesday. Agree to think about it and give me an answer Tuesday.”
“Fine.” Tyler agrees and rolls her eyes.