Flightless Birds

Two

Maggie was quiet as they made their way downstairs after the game the next night, a three to zero win for the Penguins. Hanna was all smiles, teasing her friend as they made their way around.

"I hate your captain," Maggie sniped as they waited in the hall. "And I hate fucking flightless birds."

"Even me?" They heard Paul's voice behind them and turned.

"Holy fuck," Maggie muttered. "Pinch me, I'm dreaming," she whispered to Hanna. "Can you put clothes on, please?" She implored Paul. "I can't function with you like that," she gestured.

That was athletic shorts and socks that reached his knees, feet slid into sandals, hair sweaty and going in every direction, and topped off with a spandex undershirt popular amongst many players in the league.

"I like it when you can't function," Paul smirked. "Means you're being quiet."

"I'm never kissing you again."

"Liar. Just wait until after I have a shower."

"With you in the polo shirt and suit jacket? No thank you. First thing I'm doing if I come to Pittsburgh is buy you suits and throw all the hideous things you wear in the garbage."

"I hope that doesn't include my sweaters."

"Your man cardis? God no; those turn me on. You'd be such a hot dad in those and your glasses. I'll call you daddy if that's what you're in to."

Paul blushed. "Please don't repeat that to any of my teammates."

"I'll think about it." He dipped his face close to hers and kissed her quickly. She wrinkled her nose as he stepped back. "Oh my lord you smell terrible!"

"I'll see you in awhile. Don't go anywhere," Paul told her.

"I won't," she smiled before he disappeared back into the room.

"I'm pretty sure you're dating Paul Martin, just FYI," Hanna said after she and Maggie were alone again.

"We're not dating."

"Maybe not officially but that was definitely an exchange between a couple," she teased her.

"Shut up or I'm gonna talk about Sutter's dong."

"Let's not."

They moved a little further away and talked about the game before segueing into checking how their fantasy teams were doing for the night and comparing notes.

"Hey," James said as he rounded the corner. "You guys have any trouble getting down here?"

"None. Thank you so much for leaving us the passes," Hanna told him as she gave him a hug.

"Yeah, thanks Nealer," Maggie chimed in with a quick peck to his cheek.

"Where's your boyfriend? The games been over for thirty minutes."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Close enough," he shrugged. "I give it a week and he makes it official."

"He could be a total man slut, like you."

"Nah; I mean yeah, we all enjoy a good puck bunny every now and then but Paul's more grown up, responsible and shit. He's good boyfriend material."

"Thanks for the ringing endorsement, Nealer," Paul spoke up from behind them.

Maggie turned at his voice. "That's not a suit." She spotted Kris Letang exit the locker room and pointed. "That is a suit."

"I'm not wearing purple."

"I'm not suggesting you do. I just want to get you into a real suit and tie."

"Good luck," James chimed in.

"Just because I wouldn't wear a godawful plaid suit doesn't mean I'm difficult," Paul said to him.

"Trust me; you're difficult. A little stubborn and totally set in your ways."

"Not everyone can pull off a suit like that the way James can," Maggie said. "You wouldn't look nearly as sexalicious as he does in that," she gestured. James winked at her and Paul groaned.

"Please don't talk about Nealer and sex in the same sentence," he told her.

"I've seen pictures of you in a suit," Maggie continued. "In fact, there's a grey one that I've seen pictures of you wearing with a light blue shirt and a striped tie and damn you look good in that. Maybe not the tie but I can find other uses for those."

"Do you mind if I borrow your friend?" Paul asked, looking to Hanna.

"Be my guest," she replied.

He looped an arm around Maggie's shoulder and tugged her to him. "Cm'here and tell me more about what you'd like to do with me and my ties," he said close to her ear.

As they made their way a little further down the hall for a small bit of privacy, Brandon walked out of the room, followed by Geno. "Hi, guys," Hanna smiled. "Great win." Beside her James groaned and Geno immediately set to chirping him as the two headed back into the room.

"Sorry I didn't get you that goal," Brandon said once they were alone again.

"Are you kidding me? A win was worth more than anything. Plus I get to tease Maggie about it for a couple days."

"Is that her, with Paul?"

"Yeah, that's your teammate kissing a girl in a Shea Weber jersey."

Brandon chuckled. "It'd be funnier if it were a Neal jersey."

"She has one actually but since she thinks Weber is ten times the captain Sid is, she wore that one tonight. But you're right. I'd fall out laughing right now if he was kissing her in a Neal jersey."

"How's that job hunt in Pittsburgh going?"

Hanna blushed. "I only sent out my résumé two days ago."

"Well like I said last night, when you need a couch to crash on, I have one available."

They chatted for a few more minutes until the guys had to leave and boarded their bus to the airport. James looped an arm over Maggie's shoulder and squeezed at the sad look on her face and walked with the girls to their car. He gave Maggie his number, promising to leave them tickets for whatever games they wanted. Maggie promised to text him just bother him and he chuckled in response.

“Something tells me that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

~*~*~


For New Years, Maggie flew out to Pittsburgh to finally visit Paul. They had talked every day since meeting in Nashville but her work and his hadn't allowed a time for her to get to Pittsburgh until now. They texted and skyped, and Paul even planned dates for them. He'd send her a recipe and they'd cook together in their separate kitchens at least once a week, talking and joking, and then eating together over a webcam. Several times they had watched a movie in bed together. It was possibly the silliest thing Maggie had ever done in her life, dating a guy over Skype, but seeing Paul's face and his smile made it worth it.

She and Hanna had even driven eight hours to Raleigh to see the Penguins play the Hurricanes towards the end of November, even though Maggie only got to see Paul for twenty minutes (they stayed to see the Predators play there too three days later).

For ten straight days Paul would be home and Maggie was looking forward to seeing what a normal relationship would be like with Paul. There were four home games and practices to figure into their time together but they had been doing that by phone for two months already. She wasn't seeing anyone else, and hadn't been on a date since meeting him. She hadn't asked the same of him, and they hadn't had the talk about what exactly they were but she hoped he felt the same way she did.

She flew in on the afternoon of December 30 and rushed through the airport to baggage claim where Paul would be waiting for her. She had never felt shorter in her life as she tried to peer over the crowded airport to find him. But then, like something out of a movie, the crowd parted just so and there he was. Maggie rushed forward and Paul met her, lifting her into his arms and kissing the air from her lungs. She wrapped herself around him and kissed him back, blissful in their movie magic moment.

"Hi," she said breathlessly when they separated and he set her down. "God you're so hot in those glasses."

He hugged her to him tightly. "Is this the heaviest jacket you own?"

She looked down at her deep purple colored pea coat. "Yes. Why?"

"We're gonna need to stop and buy you something warmer."

"That's why I have you though, to keep me warm. Besides, your car has heat, right?"

"Yes."

"Then there you go. I'll be fine."

"We'll see," he allowed as he led them towards finding her suitcase. She pointed it out and he grabbed it before they headed for his car.

The burst of cold air hit Maggie like a brick wall. "Holy shit!" She exclaimed, stuffing her hands into the pockets of her coat.

Paul chuckled and pulled a black toboggan from his own pocket and put it on her head. "That'll help until we get you a new coat and some gloves."

"There's a flightless bird on my head right now, isn't there?"

"Yep," he grinned.

"Jerk."

"I have a Predators one at my house too."

"You do?"

"Had James send me one."

"Aww, wasn't that sweet."

They reached his car and he put her bags in the trunk as Maggie slid into the passenger seat. He closed the trunk and got in, leaning over to kiss her again. "I'm really glad you're here," he said as he turned his key in the ignition and backed out of the parking space.

"Me too."

"You should know something though."

"What's that?"

"When my mom found out you were going to be here, she moved up the day they were coming into town so she can meet you."

"Your mom wants to meet me?"

"I'm sorry; I should've told you before you left so you could back out of coming."

"I wouldn't have backed out, Paul. I just didn't know your mom knew about me."

"Of course I've told her about you. You're not my dirty little secret, Maggie; you're my girlfriend."

"Oh."

"I mean...you are, right?"

"We didn't talk about it..."

"I'm not seeing anyone else. I haven't since we met."

"Me either."

"I'm old, Maggie. Am I really still supposed to ask?"

"Yes," she blushed. "You're always supposed to ask."

"Don't make me do this."

"Ok fine, I'll spare you, old man. But I'd just like to point out that you're only three years older than me so I'll ask you instead. Paul, will you be my boyfriend?" She couldn't help the giggle the question ended in.

"We're both too old for this."

"Just answer the question."

He sighed. "Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes I'm your boyfriend. You're my girlfriend, and they all lived happily ever after."

"The next time there's a question, it's all yours," she winked at him.