Flightless Birds

Five

Hanna had been in her new apartment for two weeks and she was loving every minute of it. She and Maggie had gotten back to Nashville on the 8th and by the 16th, she had her life packed and was making the drive to Pittsburgh. Brandon had tickets for her to take in their game that Sunday against the Rangers and he took her on their first date that Thursday.

Over dinner she gushed about her new coworkers and her new job before stopping and letting Brandon get a word in. He laughed at her enthusiasm and let her keep talking about her job instead.

After dinner, they caught a movie before Brandon drove her home. Hanna invited him up to see the place. That was where he kissed her for the first time. Since then, they spent whatever time together they could and she had stayed over at his place twice.

They had two road games to close out January before returning home to play the Predators on the first of February. Hanna was looking forward to the date since Maggie was coming back to Pittsburgh for a few days.

Since leaving Nashville, the two hadn't spoken as much as Hanna would have liked and she knew from talking to Paul that she had been a little distant with him as well. He was worried about what that might mean for them but James had called to assure him that Maggie was just trying to figure things out and that he shouldn't worry so much. Hanna tended to agree with that.

On the 30th, Maggie flew into town and Hanna picked her up at the airport. The guys were away to play New Jersey and she arrived in Pittsburgh that Friday a little after six. Hanna had already been to the grocery store and stocked up on their favorite game day foods.

Maggie's face held a bubbly smile when she walked out of the airport and saw Hanna's car, throwing her suitcase in the trunk before climbing in the passenger side. She leaned across the console to hug Hanna before buckling up.

"You look fantastic," Hanna commented as she pulled out into traffic. "Your hair is amazing."

Maggie reached for her hair, self consciously touching it. Her hair had been long, and about halfway down her back, the last time she had been in Pittsburgh. After getting home to Nashville and stewing in her own thoughts, she called her favorite stylist for a new look. Her previously honey blonde hair was now a rich chestnut brown and was cut in a shoulder length bob with bangs.

"Thanks. I'm still getting used to it not being so long."

"How is everything?"

"Good," she answered as she looked out the window.

"Mags, are you okay, really?"

"I'm fine."

"Honest?"

"Honest. I've just been thinking a lot lately."

"Are you breaking up with Paul?"

"What?! Why would you ask that?"

"I haven't talked to you much since I moved, and I know you've been ducking some of Paul's calls because he asked if I've talked to you. He really cares about you."

"I know."

"Do you know he called James about you?"

"Yeah, I know. He took me to dinner that same night to make sure I wasn't about to leave Paul brokenhearted."

"Do you mean to tell me that you had a heart to heart with James Neal?"

"That is exactly what I am telling you. Turns out James is good at giving guy advice. As ridiculous as it sounds."

"And?"

"And that's it."

"You're not going to tell me what's next for you and Paul, are you?"

"Not until I talk to him. But you can tell me what's going on with you and Sutter."

"It's really good," Hanna gushed. "He's great, Mags. Better than I thought possible."

"Have you for real seen his dick yet? Is it as fantastic as TV made it?"

"Maggie!"

She laughed at Hanna's response and the blush that stained her cheeks. "Oh my god, it's better, isn't it?"

"I'm not talking about my boyfriend's junk with you."

"Your boyfriend, huh?"

"Yes, boyfriend."

"Did he ask? I had to ask Paul, on account of his advanced age."

Hanna burst out laughing. "Advanced age?You're three years younger than him."

"You're four years older than Brandon. Get it cougar lady."

"That does not make me a cougar."

"You're thirty, he's technically twenty five for two more weeks. You're living the dream with a hot stud."

"God I miss you," Hanna said as she shook her head. "It's not the same here without you."

"Nashville isn't the same without you either. And James is not a suitable replacement for you. He gets grossed out if I ask him if Lil Suttsy is as great in person as on TV."

"There's nothing little about Lil Suttsy."

"Get it girl!" Maggie laughed.

~*~*~


The team had gotten in from New Jersey around one in the morning following their game and as much as Paul wanted to go straight to Hanna's then, he drove home instead and crawled into bed. His sleep was fitful and around seven thirty, he was awake again. He made himself take a shower and then make a cup of coffee before grabbing his keys from the counter and making the drive to the downtown apartment building Hanna lived in.

As he crossed the lobby, he caught sight of Brandon heading towards the elevators and he quickened his pace to catch up with him.

"Hey, Paulie," he grinned. "I brought breakfast," he said, holding up a box of bagels. "Hanna probably already has coffee on."

"I didn't know you guys had breakfast plans."

"We don't; just figured you'd show up early. Hanna and I had a bet going on what time you'd be knocking at the door. She won."

The elevator opened on Hanna's floor and Paul followed him, waiting for one of the girls to answer. Brandon grinned at him again when they heard the locks turning. "Hey babe," Brandon greeted Hanna cheerfully. "Guess who I found," he smirked.

"Good morning, Paul," Hanna smiled as she stepped aside to let the two in. "Maggie just finished in the shower. Do you want coffee and a bagel?"

"Please. Thanks, Hanna."

"No problem. Follow me." She led the two into the kitchen and while she poured coffee, Brandon started slicing bagels and putting them in the toaster. They talked about the game from the night before while they waited.

"Hanna, I can't find my phone charger. Can I use yours?" They heard Maggie's voice coming towards them. Paul was out of his seat at the sound and scooping her into a hug as she walked into view. His lips crashed into hers and Maggie's arms wound around him tighter.

"Hi," she whispered against his lips, eyes still closed before fluttering open to meet his.

"Hi," Paul smiled. He touched her hair. "You look gorgeous."

"It's wet; you're not even getting the full effect."

"Doesn't matter. You're beautiful."

"You like the color?"

"Love it."

"Really?

"Really. I have the day off; I thought we could spend it going to a couple of the art museums in town. We can pick James up after and have dinner later."

"They're already here?"

"They fly in later today."

"Are you two staying for breakfast or can I have my way with Hanna on the table?" Brandon called out.

"Puh-lease Brandon Sutter," Maggie said, stepping around Paul. "Hanna is not dickmatized by you, even if you do have a big dong."

"Maggie!" Hanna exclaimed.

"What? It's not my fault LeTang was more worried about some pizza than ensuring not to flash your boyfriend's junk on TV. And it's not my fault you made me stay up late and watch that game with you and now I'll never unsee your boyfriends wiener."

Brandon blushed. "Definitely not my proudest moment."

"You should be really proud about that," Maggie smirked, nodding her head towards his crotch.

Paul pulled Maggie to him. "Go get dressed," he told her firmly. "We can stop for breakfast before we go to the Warhol museum." He patted her on the butt and nudged her back towards the guest room. "And get your stuff too so we don't have to bother Hanna again today!" He called out after her.

The three chatted until Maggie reappeared, bags in hand. Paul gave Hanna a quick hug and nodded at Brandon before grabbing Maggie's things. The two girls whispered to each other before hugging.

"See you later, Sutter. Take care of my girl," Maggie grinned before hugging him too.

"For as long as she'll have me," Brandon told her.

"Good to know. Are you gonna pick me up on Sunday, Hanna?"

"Yeah, I'll come get you around noon so we can grab something to eat."

"Perfect. I'll see you then."

"Bye, Mags. Have fun."

When the door closed behind them, Hanna looked over to Brandon and she laughed. "I am never going to be able to get her to not bring up your junk."

"It's Paul's problem now," he smirked. "He's the one who has to live up to my greatness."

"Speaking of greatness," Hanna started, sidling up to Brandon and resting her hand on his chest. "Do you have plans for today?"

"Nope. What do you have in mind?"

"Lazy day on the couch in our underwear?"

"I like the sound of that."

~*~*~


Hanna and Maggie made their way into Consol the following afternoon and headed for their seats. They got a few looks as they made their way inside but ignored them.

"I can't believe you're wearing that," Hanna said, shaking her head.

"It's James; don't they still love him here?"

"Yeah, the teenage girls do."

"So I'm in good company then."

"If you say so."

Maggie knocked her shoulder against Hanna's. "Not all of us get to see the Pens dong up close and personal."

"Will you stop bringing that up?"

"No."

"At least you're honest."

"I'll try but it's always right there on the tip of my tongue. You weren't supposed to start dating him after we saw that. Like who thought that would happen?"

"Probably the same person who thought you'd meet Geno in a bar and talk about his ass and end up dating Paul Martin."

"Which is to say nobody." They shared a laugh and stood with the crowd as the two teams took the ice.

After the game they headed downstairs to wait for Brandon and Paul. Thirty minutes had passed when James found them. "Hey, Maggie," he grinned easily, pulling her into a hug.

"Hey! Great game."

"Thanks," he replied as he let her go and turned to Hanna. "How are you, Hanna?"

"Doing good, thank you."

"You like being back?"

"Love being back. Do you miss it now that you've been back?"

"Eh...I definitely don't miss this weather."

"The horny teenage girls miss you," Maggie spoke up. "I told a few you're terrible in bed."

"Maggie!"

"I was doing you a favor, James."

"But you don't know that from experience and it's not nice to lie."

"I'll lie to some girls in Nashville about how amazing you are."

"Oh, well that's okay."

"Yeah, I figured it would be." He tucked her under his arm and said something close to her ear that made her laugh and turn into him.

"Lazy, you keep hands off Paulie's girlfriend," Geno's voice boomed through the hall. "She too good for you. Find your own Nashville girl."

"I'm trying to but Maggie won't help me," he complained.

"Try harder," Paul spoke up as he came up behind them, tugging Maggie back into his arms and taking a step away from the others with her.

"Hi," Maggie breathed out, turning to look up at Paul and moving further away from the group, well out of their earshot. "You were so good tonight."

"Did you have to wear Nealer's jersey?"

"Yes, so I'd fit in with all the fangirls."

"You could have been my fangirl."

"I'm always your fangirl. Except when you play Nashville."

Paul rolled his eyes. "One day."

"I hope you know that will never happen."

"It'll be fun to try and change your mind."

"It'll be easier for you to try when I move here."

"When you..." He paused. "Maggie, are you serious right now?"

She looked away from him and then back with a shy smile. "I can't believe how serious I am."

He pulled her into a heart stopping kiss and Maggie held onto him for support, feeling her knees go weak at his touch. "You're sure?" Paul questioned when they broke apart.

Maggie nodded. "Positive. Nashville will always be my home, it's someplace I'll never give up, but I want to make where you are my home more." She rolled up the sleeve of her jersey and the shirt underneath and held her left arm out in front of her. "I'll carry Nashville right here, and in my heart."

Paul smiled and touched the tattoo on her forearm. The navy blue outline of the state of Tennessee and a small gold heart where Nashville would be on a map. "We can go back in the summer," he told her. "We'll find a way to split our time there and in Minnesota."

"You think we'll make it until then?"

"I know we will," he answered confidently. "Because you're my home, Maggie. I know it, right here," he said, touching his chest. She smiled and reached out, laying her hand over his heart. Paul curled his fingers around hers and smiled down at her.

"How come you're so sure? I'm freaking out."

"Because I love you, Maggie," he declared, his voice confident and sure.

"Take me home, Paul."

"Right now?" He chuckled.

"Right now. Because I love you too, and I want to show you how much." She took a step back from him and grabbed his hand. "Did I tell you how good you look in that suit?"

"Wore it just for you."

"It's very appreciated. Let me tell you how much," she smirked as she leaned into him and whispered close to his ear.

"Go say goodbye to our friends," Paul said lowly, his eyes burning into hers.

"Bye y'all!" Maggie called out, waving to the others before tugging Paul forward and falling into step beside each other as they walked out.

"How much did you pay her to work him up all while wearing your jersey?" Brandon asked James.

He laughed. "I had no part of that. That was all Maggie." He glanced at his watch. "I better get going. Guess I'll see you guys again next season." There were handshakes and some hugs all around and wishes of good luck for the rest of the season.

"What about you?" Brandon said to Hanna. "You ready to go?"

"Out with the guys?"

"I was thinking just me and you unless you want to go out with the guys."

"Me and you sounds pretty damn good."

"Yeah? Is that because you want to see my dong?" He teased.

Hanna blushed. "Just because Maggie isn't here doesn't mean you have to say the things she would."

Brandon laughed. "It's fun to make you blush though."

"Don't ever tell Maggie you referenced your own junk."

"I won't. It'll be our secret."

~*~*~


Brandon lifted Hanna off the ground, arms wrapped under her butt as they entered his house, their lips crashing together as he kicked the door closed and pressed her back against the nearest wall.

He released her hold on her and let her slide down his body, bracketing her in place with his arms. Not that Hanna planned on going anywhere. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in closer.

"So about seeing the Pens dong..." She smirked. Brandon laughed.

"I knew you only liked me for my penis."

"And a couple other things, but yeah, mostly that."

"Well then let me give you the ride of your life."