Flightless Birds

Six

Maggie was happy to stay curled up in bed the next day, except she woke up alone. Venturing down the stairs, she found Paul in the kitchen making coffee. She leaned in the doorframe and watched, admiring his backside until he turned.

"You're supposed to be in bed," Paul complained.

"I was but you weren't. I came to find you and coerce you back with me."

"I have practice so I was making you breakfast."

"You should skip that," she told him as she took a seat at the bar and grabbed a piece of toast.

"I can't skip that."

She pouted playfully as he brought over a plate of eggs. "You're no fun, Paulie."

"That's not what you said last night," he winked.

"Perv."

He chuckled. "I can make it up to you after practice. I'm free all day."

"You can help me look for an apartment," Maggie suggested. "If I'm gonna move I need a job and a place to live."

"That makes sense but why would you need an apartment? You're gonna live here, with me."

"Here?" She squeaked.

"You don't want to?" His voice was laced with hurt.

"Of course I want to be here but isn't it too soon?"

"We Skype dated for two months, Maggie. If you thought this was a traditional relationship you were wrong. Besides, we make the rules, no one else. If we want to move in together after three months, then we move in together after three months."

"Are you sure you want to share your home? It's your space, your sanctuary."

"You're my sanctuary, Maggie. I'm not going to be happy with you anywhere else."

"Oh."

He smiled at her and leaned in to kiss her sweetly. "Will you move in with me, Maggie? Please?"

"Okay," she agreed happily before tucking into the food Paul had set in front of her.

He laughed. "It's because I cook, isn't it?"

"Yep. I hate cooking. Takeout is just so much easier. James and I always order out."

"You're both lazy."

"Practical," she countered. "No cleanup, no dishes. No fuss, no muss."

He rolled his eyes. "Is he going to be able to function without you?"

Maggie shrugged. "He should; I'm not his babysitter. We just hang out sometimes. Well, a lot after Hanna moved. I felt a little lost when she left but James was nice and he tried to cheer me up. Did you know it's actually possible to feel better after going to a strip club with James Neal?"

"He took you to a strip club?! I'm going to kill him."

"Technically it was my idea. But he bought my lap dances which was great."

"Oh my god," he muttered. "I'm dating the female version of Nealer."

Maggie flashed a toothy, mega watt smile at Paul. "Pretty much. Minus the failure to wash my hair of course. I did tell him we'd come to Whitby this summer. He promised me easy days in the sun on boats."

"He just wants to see you in a bikini."

"Too bad for him he can't touch."

"I'm white and pale; I can't compete against James in the summer on a boat."

"Maybe James is a little eye candy that I will take a peek at, but he'll never be half the man you are. And I happen to very much like your white, pale self so who is really the winner?"

"Me?"

"You," Maggie confirmed.

"We have to talk about something before you decide," he said as he sat across from her.

"That sounds ominous."

He sighed. "I want you here with me, I'm excited that you want to be here too but I am asking you to uproot your entire life, I recognize that. And I don't have a contract for next season; I might not stay here, I could end up anywhere or nowhere at all."

Maggie stood abruptly, her fork dropping with a clatter. "It sounds like you're telling me you've changed your mind and don't want me to move. If that's the case, I'd really appreciate it if you'd just say that so I can call a cab to take me to the airport."

Paul jumped to his feet. "That's not what I'm saying, Maggie. I haven't changed my mind; I want you here. I just don't know what happens after this season is over. I'm asking a lot of you while giving up nothing in return. There's nothing fair about this and I don't want you to come to resent me for whatever might happen."

"I know exactly what I'm agreeing to by moving here, Paul. I know you're a free agent, I know that it's very likely you won't re-sign here, and I know it means I might have to follow you to Edmonton. I'm one hundred percent aware of what my decision means, trust me."

"We haven't talked about it though."

"No, but I have with James."

"You've talked to James?"

"Yes; you called him and he sat me down for a heart to heart and he gave it to me straight. Life has very few guarantees, and the only one I've got right now is that I love you and I want to follow you around aimlessly."

Paul gathered her to him and kissed her. "I love you, Maggie. I'm so happy you want to move here and be with me."

"We'll figure it out, one day at a time, okay?"

"Okay. Now finish your breakfast."

"Alright, but only because it's delicious."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is short, I know, and it's filler but we are about to jump into the last act of the story and it didn't fit anywhere else.