Flightless Birds

Eight

James pulled into the parking lot in front of the row of condos where Maggie lived and turned to Paul. "I still can't believe you thought I'd fuck her behind your back. I thought we were friends man."

"I'm sorry," Paul apologized.

"Dude, your opinion of me is way lower than I ever knew."

"Put us beside each other; ten out of ten girls are going to pick you every time."

"And Maggie is girl number eleven and she picked you."

"I messed up, I get it."

"I hope so because Maggie is awesome."

"Why'd you have to go and be best friends with her?"

He shrugged. "Awesome begets awesomer."

"You're an idiot. Why are we friends again?"

"Because I make sure your girlfriend gets home safe at night and that no creepy assholes hit on her at bars and shit. Because you were my best friend in Pittsburgh and then you met a girl in Nashville and fell in love with her so I felt like I owed it to my friend to keep an eye on his girl."

"Thank you, for being a good friend."

"You're welcome. Now go win that girl over already. How did you even pull her in the first place?"

"I have no idea," he admitted. "Why the fuck did she pick me? She had Geno in the palm of her hand."

James laughed. "I don't think she knows that so probably don't mention that."

"She could've picked you."

"She really missed the boat," he joked. "Seriously, Paulie. You guys were made for each other. Maggie and I are way too much alike to ever actually work. And Geno is Russian; he's like obligated to marry Russian so that the KGB doesn't kill him. Now get your ass out of this car and get your girl back."

Paul nodded and stepped out of the car. He followed James instruction to her door and knocked, waiting for her to answer. He pushed a nervous hand through his hair and fidgeted in place. He inhaled deeply and exhaled as he heard the locks turn.

"Paul? What are you doing here?"

He blinked and stared at her. It had been two weeks since hearing her voice and they had fought during that last call. He knew he missed her but didn't realize how much until she was standing in front of him. "Maggie, I....I'm sorry. Can I come in? Can we talk?"

She stepped aside and let him inside before leading him to her living room. "Talk," she said as she sat down on the couch, gesturing for him to sit opposite her.

"I fucked up, Maggie, and I'm sorry for what I said to you. I know you wouldn't do that to me; I know James wouldn't do that to me. It's just...he's James Neal. He's a star and I'm just that guy that plays with LeTang."

"You're more than just that guy, Paul."

"I know. But I was insecure and jealous when you sent me that picture of you and James. You looked like a couple; you looked like you belonged together. So I picked a fight with you and that was wrong. I'm sorry."

"I can't do this with you if you don't trust me. That hurt, feeling like that you don't trust me, that I can't have guy friends without worrying how you're going to react. I don't want a relationship like that."

"I understand," he replied, head hung dejectedly.

"But," she continued, his head swinging up to look at her. She smiled and scooted across the couch closer to him. "But you're here when you have a game in two days, and probably practice tomorrow morning, and that means something too. I'm sorry that I said we should take a break. I didn't want to take a break, not from you."

"I'm sorry I agreed to it. And I'm sorry for overreacting about James. I like that you get along with my friends and I really don't care that you hang out with him despite my insecurities. They're my hang ups, and you aren't like other women I've dated."

"Well duh; your mom likes me."

"My mom loves you. She's excited to have you around this summer. And my sister can't wait to meet you."

"This is the last time we have a fight over James Neal though, agreed?"

"Agreed."

"Good. The man really doesn't need his ego inflated further."

Paul chuckled. "No, he really doesn't."

"When do you leave?"

"My flight out is at six tonight."

"Paul, it's one in the afternoon. You flew out here for four hours?"

"I couldn't get a direct flight otherwise I would've had more time; I left for the airport in Pittsburgh at nine this morning. I knew I had to see you to try and fix this though. It was important to me."

"Did James pick you up?"

"Yeah; he helped set me straight too. You were right about him giving good advice."

"Is he dropping you off?"

"If you want him too. It's your call."

"I can take you," she said as she moved to sit in his lap. "I just wish I had you for longer."

"Me too." She leaned in close, laying her head against his shoulder. Paul kissed her forehead sweetly. "You could come with me," he said quietly.

Maggie sighed. "What if I come and it messes up everything?"

"Worse than we've already managed in the last two weeks?"

"That's true," she admitted.

"I'll wait, Maggie, as long as you need. If we keep with the long distance and skyping, I'll be okay with that, as long as we're together."

"I need to think about it."

"Okay. Take all the time you need."

She nodded. "Are you hungry? I can make something to eat."

"Are you going to let me help?"

"I was more or less going to let you do all the work to be honest. I just thought it'd sound better if I suggested I'd make it."

Paul wrapped his arms around her and stood and Maggie squealed, holding on to him tightly. "I love you, Maggie," he said as he walked into her kitchen, setting her down on the counter.

Maggie wrapped her legs around Paul's waist and pulled him closer as she slid to the edge of the counter. "I love you too."

"What do you want to eat?"

"You."

"I'm not sure that I'm a part of a well balanced diet."

"I'm positive you are. Now will you shut up and kiss me already?"

"With pleasure," he answered, ducking his head lower to press his lips to hers.

~*~*~


On Sunday a week later, Paul pulled into his driveway and parked beside the yellow jeep with Tennessee plates. His front door was open and he made his way up the walk.

"Maggie?" He called out as he entered the house.

She appeared at the top of the stairs seconds later. "Hey, Paulie."

He looked up at her in disbelief. "What are you...how did you get in here?"

"James gave me his key. Also, he said sorry for not getting that back to you sooner."

"You drove here?"

"How else was I going to get my stuff here?"

"Your stuff?"

"Yeah; I hope you don't mind but I made myself room in a couple of your dresser drawers and in your closet."

"You're here? For real?"

"Yes, Paul, for real." She laughed at his still stunned expression and hurried down the stairs until she stood on the last step. "I put my condo on the market and my furniture in storage until I figure out what to do with it. I'm officially unemployed, and I'm here."

Paul pulled her in close and kissed her. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Surprise!" Maggie laughed as Paul lifted her off the ground. "I've got one more box in the car I need to get."

"I'll get it."

"Thank you."

Maggie followed him outside and Paul grabbed the small box from the front passenger seat. She locked the jeep and headed inside after him. "Is it okay to leave my car in the driveway?" Maggie asked as she locked the front door behind them.

"Yeah, it's fine. I can make room for you to park in the garage though. Where should I put this?"

"It's some pictures and knick knacks."

"So the living room? I only have a couple pictures of my family on the mantle."

"I can put pictures of my family there?"

"Of course, Maggie." Paul led the way and set the box down on the couch.

"What about my Gnash bobblehead?"

"Your what?"

She dug into the box and pulled out a box, opening it and pulling the bobblehead of the Predators mascot out. "Gnash. Isn't he the cutest? Pretty sure he'd win in a fight against a flightless bird too," she smirked as she set it in the middle of his mantel.

"That is not staying there."

"Yes it is." He rolled his eyes. She pulled three framed photos out and arranged them. Paul looked over them with a smile, recognizing two of them from his short visit to her place in Nashville. There was one of her and her family, and two of the pair of them, one from New Year's Eve at the team's party, and the other a funny selfie he remembered taking of the two of them when he had been in Nashville the week before.

"Are you sure this is okay?" Maggie asked, turning to face him.

"It's more than okay, I promise. Even Gnash."

Maggie moved to sit beside him on the couch and snuggled against him. "Thank you."

"For what?"

She shrugged. "For letting me come into your house and taking over like I own it unannounced."

He laughed. "I've gone from Nealer showing up unannounced to you. At least you're pretty to look at."

"And I let you kiss me."

"An excellent perk. And now I get to wake up beside you too."

Maggie slid her hand up Paul's chest. "We should really get you out of this suit."

"Are you offering to help?"

A mischievous grin crossed her face as she fingered his tie. "I am and I'm really looking forward to helping you out of your suit after every game night."

"Let's not keep you waiting then."
♠ ♠ ♠
I lied....there's only one update left. I decided to combine 8 and 9 into one update this morning. BUT I really want to write Flightless Birds in Vancouver so we'll see. There may be a sequel yet to this. :)