The Return

The Return

In a distant land, where imagination runs wild and free, there lived a young man. This man loved to think outside of the box. He would often test his limits of creativity around family and friends, regardless of their reactions. He was fearless.

He lived in a quiet and reserved village, with a population of only 50 residents. This was sometimes difficult for him, as he loved a good conversation. With so few people to communicate with, a lot of valuable ideas went unspoken. These lost thoughts had resonated deep in his conscious, hoping to reveal themselves one day.

As time went on, his conscious grew heavy of unused knowledge. And he became weary, hoping one day he’d get the chance to pass along this now burden of his. Lucky for him, that day was soon to arrive.

It was a cold morning near the villagers’ home, and the air smelled of regret. He often reflected upon his past, with great despair. But today was different. Today he dwelled, not on the failures of his past, but of the ideas of a better tomorrow. This frightened him to the bone.

The day continued, getting colder by the hour. His aged wisdom seemed of no use to him, or the surrounding villagers, as they had exiled him years earlier. He believed he had reached his breaking point. The stubborn old man, was just minutes from surrendering his, so called “inner demons” to the ground below, when suddenly, he heard a whisper. A whisper so enchanting to the ear, a single tear of joy, escaped his left eye. He immediately sat up, from inside the grave, he had dug just hours ago.
His vision, parallel to the surrounding soil, began to blur, when he realized the familiarity of his current state. It was as if this wasn’t the first time he’d heard such a whisper. He craved more. He then began shouting with his last bit of energy, “Help! Please rid me of this wretched and cursed mind!” Over and over he yelled, with nothing in response.

When at last,

In a distant land, where imagination runs wild and free, there lived a young man. This man loved to think outside of the box. He would often test his limits of creativity around family and friends, regardless of their reactions. He was fearless…

Written By: Jefferson Hocott