Sequel: August in Pittsburgh

Sid's Surprise

Sid's Surprize

Sid triple checked the souffle, it was perfect still. Since he had gotten back from practice he had been preparing, it _had_ to be perfect. The cleaning service had been by so that was one less worry. Vero had even helped him with the menu, in exchange for babysitting services. Now all he was waiting for was Jazz.

He heard the garage door start to open and his heart began to race. Carefully he lit the candles in the master bath before going down to meet her.

As he looked at Jazz he was glad he had done what he did. “You look beat. There’s a bath waiting if you want.”

She tiredly smiled. “You’re a mind reader.” Then she took a good sniff. “What smells so good? Almost sinful.” Her brown eyes met his hazel ones trying to ferret out his secrets. When he didn’t even blink she gave up. “You know what never mind.” Jazz kissed Sid’s cheek. “I’m going to go enjoy that bath. Would you bring me a glass?”

Sidney smiled at her. “There’s already one there. A white that I think you’ll enjoy. I need to finish dinner.” There was a strong vibe of trust me in the air.

Jazz decided it wasn’t worth fighting over, especially after the day she had. “You’ve thought of everything. Thank you.” She kissed him with a little more passion and went upstairs.

Sidney figured he had about an hour, judging by his loves’ frazzled texts from earlier. He watched until she was out of sight and then headed for the kitchen. Once in there he checked that the oven was at the right temperature and then slid the lasagna in. Setting the timer he then set the table in the dining room. White table cloth, two place settings, candles ready to light, wine chilling and an all important secret next to his chair.

Satisfied he went back into the kitchen and made the salad, OK so he put it in the bowl and then dressed it up with cranberries, walnuts and feta cheese. He then set it back in the fridge to stay chilled. Then he threw together the garlic bread, debating over cheese before chuckling his diet plan out the window and adding it. Nights like tonight happened once, diets could be tossed for it.

Once everything downstairs was ready or almost ready, Sid went upstairs to change. He heard Jazz in the bathroom humming a tune and smiled. Padding into the closet he changed into suit pants and a new button down shirt. He forgo a tie, this was a date night not an event; OK so it was both. He picked up his favorite of her dresses and laid it out on the bed on her side.

Poking his head in the bathroom confirmed his suspicions, she was neck deep and relaxing, hair piled high to keep it dry. “I spy with my little eye something that begins with B.” She said playfully.

Sid smiled as he came in. “Is it a bottle?” Jazz shook her head. “A brush.” Again a head shake. He looked around confused. “There aren’t any other B words in here love.”

She sighed and crooked a finger at him. He stepped closer and she giggled. “You missed the Best Boyfriend.” Sid felt his ears go up in flames. “Did I forget something, you’re dressed up.”

It was his turn to shake his head. “Nope, just thought you deserved a spontaneous date night.”

She eyed him. “You, who know your schedule three weeks out, decided to be spontaneous.” He nodded and tried looking innocent. Taking a drink she continued. “You check how my day is going, have a bath and wine waiting in the most romantic setting, something sinful is already made.” She took another drink. “You planned this.” He didn’t bother denying it as she continued. “I love you for it too. So unless you’re going to join me, get out so I can put myself together.”

He saluted her and left, adding before he was out of earshot. “I had help.” Jazz laughed out loud as he skipped down the stairs.

Back in the kitchen he had 25 minutes before the lasagna was finished so he opened the wine again to let it breathe, it was the same bottle he had poured her glass from.

Then his phone went off, a new text message. He sighed and opened it. ‘COD night?’ It was from Geno.

Taking a picture of the table he replied with it and ‘No can do. Got plans.’ The reply back was all emojis and Geno’s smileys.

Sid went around lighting all but the candles on the table. Seeing they were in every room downstairs that took some time. Once back in the kitchen he saw it was time for the bread to go in and the lasagna to come out. He made the swap and then Jazz was behind him.

“When are we babysitting?” He shrugged, there hasn’t been a plan for that. She refilled her wine glass and smiled. “So I did smell something sinful, chocolate souffle. Boy will your diet plan suffer tonight.”

Sid wrapped himself around her lightly from behind. “You’re worth it. We’ve both been really busy and deserve a night just us.” He dropped a kiss under her ear, and enjoyed her shiver with delight.

He brought her into the dining room and pulled out her chair. “My Lady.” She flushed and sat. He then lit the candles on the table. “I’ll be back.”

He pulled out a tray and loaded it with the salad (after dressing it), the few condiments they needed and the bread. He brought it into the dining room and grinned like a fool. “Part one. I’ll be back with the main in a moment.” Jazz's giggle followed him out. Bringing the lasagna back in he placed it on the table and sat down.

Jazz filled his glass and then offered a toast. “To romantic evenings and the people who helped.” They clinked glasses and ate.

Throughout the meal the conversation was light and pleasant. It wasn’t that they hadn’t talked in awhile, more that they had been too busy with other time commitments to find time for just themselves.

Sid had forgotten one thing though, how gossip prone his teammates were. His phone went off several times with texts. He twitched in place every time it did.

Jazz chuckled low. “So, who else did you tell about tonight?” She watched as his ears flamed a bit. “Answer them later. I’d like a night without the Pens Captain.”

Sid’s flush deepened. “Geno asked for a COD night and I showed him the table. I think he’s the one who let things slip.” He took a drink and sighed. “I’ll put this somewhere else so it won’t distract me.” He got up and after kissing her hand, left the dining room with his phone.

As he went Jazz thought back to that fateful evening where they met. 3 years ago she had treated herself to a late night treat after a hard day and as she was leaving a riot of guys came in, bumping and jostling happily with each other and dumping her milkshake all over her. None if them noticed, or so she thought, but she was quickly proven wrong when someone offered her some napkins. “I’m sorry about that. I’ll talk to them about watching around themselves off ice too.” She took the napkins and tried saving her blouse, refraining from replying at first.

Sid had called the kids to task while she got herself as cleaned up as she could. “Guys!” All eyes swiveled towards him and then went wide. “You need to be more careful, you dumped her shake all over this lady.”

“Jazz.” Sid looked at her oddly. “My name is Jazz.” That was the first time she saw him blush.

It was also the start of their friendship. Sid had insisted on cleaning the blouse and having Jazz come to a game to make up for his underage teammates. The game was a shutout which made everyone happy.

From there the friendship slowly blossomed. She started by meeting the team and the ladies. Once she was accepted as a friend of his, she noticed a change. The girls started it by making sure she was aware of team events before Sid told her. Slowly the guys noticed and started teasing Sid about always having his “friend” come with him. That made her uncomfortable and she had stopped going to things for a while.

Sid finally cornered her one night and straight out asked why she had stopped coming to team parties. “I don’t belong there. I’m a friend nothing more.” She almost missed Sid’s quiet reply. “You could be more.” That simple phrase started them dating casually. That summer was not fun, trying to coordinate schedules to see each other. That’s when she got a shock of finding an e-ticket to Halifax in her Inbox one afternoon. Followed quickly by an email saying he was tired of not seeing her and he needed someone to dance with at the wedding of a childhood friend and didn’t want it to be his sister.

Sid watched Jazz daydreaming from the doorway. God she was everything he wanted in a partner. His family loved her, his team loved her and she loved all of them. He moved quietly into the room again and sat down. “Penny for your thoughts.” He said as she started.

“Just a penny, you know those aren’t even worth a penny right?” She teased. He smiled at her, this was a comfortable teasing. “Just thinking back to how we met and how everything started. You in a romantic mood seems to get me thinking back to then every time.”

He chuckled. “Hold onto your hat then.” He picked up the ring box, which had been hiding all evening. “Jazz, I love you. Moreover I know that everyone in my life loves you.” He moved next to her chair and dropped to a knee. “My life is 1000 times better for that spilled milkshake and I never want to be without the lovely lady I found that night.” He took a breath and opened the box. Inside was a nice sized ring. “Would you do me the complete honor of being my wife?”

Jazz was stunned. She was sure that if he was going to propose he would have not bothered with making their meal, but rather they would have gone out or at least had it delivered. No, he had put her in a relaxed state of mind by making it himself and then asking _the_ question! It had only been fleeting heartbeats of time before she answered. “Yes!”

The look on his face was worth every bump in the road, every time she had missed him for being gone. He brought her lips to his and kissed her tenderly. When that kiss was at the needing to breathe stage, he released her. “Nowhere on Earth is there a happier man than I.” He carefully removed the ring and placed it on her finger. He’d been waiting for the moment it was where it belonged and he found that it looked even better than he had dreamed.

Jazz shook with happiness as she moved them into the doorway of the dining room and kissed him again. When they broke apart she giggled. “We need to have milkshakes at our reception.” That made them both laugh and he quickly agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
For Messylittleraindrops for being a great friend and doing an awesome job of graduating from college!

I'm SO sorry this took so long to get posted. In the last 2 years I have had 1 computer and 2, count them 2! tablets die on me. Hopefully my electronics curse is lifted now cause I have a TON to transcribe from HAND WRITTEN pages! I may not have been posting but I have been busy!