Timing Is Everything

Marshmallow

I'm not entirely sure what Tyler did but there he sat across from me at the table, laughing with my dad about who knows what. My brothers have slowly begun to accept him as my friend. Jack, the Penguins fan that he is, was a bit hesitant of him since Tyler is a Bruin. I joked that he could’ve been a Flyer, the face that Jack pulled was priceless.

"So Tyler, you never told me where you're from." My mom said from next to me.

"I'm from Canada. Brampton, Ontario to be exact. I'm currently living in Boston though, I play for the Bruins."

"The Bruins, huh? Congrats on the cup last year." My dad said, taking a big bite of his burger. Tyler thanked him and took a bite of his own food.

"I have a cousin, Judith, out in Ontario, I believe she's in Markham, or somewhere near there. How far is that from you?" My mom asked. "I plan on visiting her sometime this summer and maybe I'll bring Audrey along with me. You two can hang out, I doubt she'll want to spend all her time with my cousin and me. All of my cousin's children are either older or younger than Audrey so she won't have anyone her age."

I look at her in surprise; this is news to me. Leave it to my mom to spring last minute plans on me. “I thought Tita Judith lived in Vancouver?”

“Tito Nelson got a new job in Downtown Toronto and they’re living near Markham now.”

Tyler perks up at the idea of me in Canada. "Markham is 30-40 minutes away from Brampton. It's not far at all! I actually mentioned to Aud before, that she should visit me and meet the dog I plan on adopting."

I noticed my dad gave him a look then shared a look with Jack. On a complete side note, I’m pretty sure I got my side eye game from my dad.

"What kind of dog?" Mason asked, leaving the conversation with Jack and Chris.

"A chocolate Lab."

"Oh Aud loves Labs. You may not spend any time with her if she visits, all of her time will be spent with your dog."

-----------------------

I sat on the floor of Tyler’s house, completely entranced by the Chocolate Lab in front of me. He was rolling around on the floor, trying to grab onto the rope I had in my hand. I laughed as he leaped up to grab the rope, only to miss and land in my lap. He pawed at my legs, then at my neck as he stood up on his hind legs.

“Marshall! Get down!” Tyler appeared and he tried to remove Marshall from climbing on me.

“Mine!” I exclaimed hugging Marshall to my body. “He loves me more than you.”

Tyler smiled as he rolled his eyes. “Sure. But remember Marshall, which one of us feeds you.” Marshall began to lick Ty’s face when he leaned in close. “Your brothers weren’t kidding about you and Labs, huh?”

“I just love dogs in general, but if it’s a puppy, I practically turn to mush. Isn’t that right my little Marshmallow?”

“You’ve already given him a nickname?” Ty laughed as I nodded my head proudly. “Well you’re gonna have to part ways with Marshmallow, I’m taking you out. I’m going to give you the grand tour of Toronto.” He removed Marshall from my arms and brought him to the kitchen. “Candace, watch Marshall will ya? I’m gonna give Aud a tour of downtown.”

After I brushed off the invisible dirt from my body, Tyler grabbed my hand and we were out the door. The next 6 hours were spent all over Downtown Toronto; we went to the CN Tower, the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada, and a bunch of other places that I can’t seem to remember the name of. For lunch, we ate at a restaurant by the water then took the ferry over to Centre Island to complete the tour. We arrived back at Tyler’s house just as Tyler’s mom, Jackie, was preparing dinner.

Tyler left to go shower and I offered to help Jackie with dinner. When she dismissed my help, she began the interrogation that the Seguin women were dying to start.

“Audrey, honey, did you have fun today? Did Tyler give you a good tour of Downtown? He can get a little too excited sometimes and then he’ll talk and move faster than he needs. He didn’t rush through the city did he?”

“Did you guys go to Centre Island? That’s probably my favorite little getaway area in Downtown.” Tyler’s younger sister, Candace, said as she played with Marshall. “Oh! did you two grab food by the water? Ty mentioned that he wanted you to experience some dining by the water.”

“He took you to the Hockey Hall of Fame didn’t he? He was definitely trying to impress you.” His youngest sister, Cassidy, giggled as she sat at the table. More questions flew from the three females as I stood in the middle of the kitchen, with my eyes wide. Before I could answer a question, a new one was sent my way. It wasn’t until one of them mentioned and referred to me as “Tyler’s girlfriend” that I spoke up.

“Oh, Tyler and I aren’t dating. We’re just friends.” And just like that, I was met with silence. The three of them looked at me in confusion and disbelief. If it wasn’t for the counter that she was standing behind, the bowl in Jackie’s hands would’ve surely dropped to the floor. Cassidy stopped what she was doing and stared at me while Candace completely stopped playing with Marshall.

“Wait! The two of you-you’re not dating. Like he’s not your boyfriend and you’re not his girlfriend?” The words left Candace’s lips as she released a deep breath. I slowly shook my head and the confirmation caused Tyler’s mom to sigh.

“So why are you visiting then if you’re not dating? Like, you’re in another country to see him.”

“Candace!” Jackie said forcefully. “Go get ready for dinner!”

Jackie was the first to regain her composure and continue with cooking dinner. Cassidy picked up Marshall and brought him to the living room, muttering something about how his daddy wasn’t the smartest. Candace looked at me with a crestfallen expression as Tyler came into the kitchen.

“Is dinner almost ready mom?” Tyler asked walking behind his mom and peaking at what she was making.

“It will be soon. And we’re gonna have a talk later, Ty, after you bring her back to her mom.” She told him as she continued to cook. When he asked about what, she just gave him a look and continued to work.

---------------------

“That conversation with my mom started with a smack to the back of my head,” Tyler pouted. “Then it went on for about 10-15 minutes of her saying she had a fool for a son.”

“I love your mom.” I laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This passed week has been super busy with family stuff but I wanted to make sure I had a new chapter up.