Timing Is Everything

Studsy

“Can we move to wine?” I ask, lazily lying on the couch with Cash curled into my side.

“If we move to wine, you’ll get sleepy. Lots of wine always gets you sleepy.”

“But wine is soooooo good though.” I pout at Tyler.

“Keep that up and I’ll bite your lip.” I pull my lip back into my mouth and lightly glare at Tyler. “Here we go! This next one features my boy, Studsy. Uhyuu!” He lifts his glass and takes a drink.

“Part 4: Playing the “Best Friend” Role.”


---------------------

“Who are you texting?” Tyler asked from the other couch. I was visiting Boston for the weekend and was spending the day with him. We were hanging out in his living room, waiting for Mike Stud to come over so we could grab some lunch.

“Hmm? Oh, sorry. Just a friend from one of my classes. We have a group project that we’re working on and we’re just scheduling when we’re gonna meet up when I get back.”

“What class?”

“A finance class.”

“Do you like finance?”

“It’s not the best but I’m pretty good at it. I guess I like it.”

“Like it enough to have a shy little grin on your face when your friend texts you about it and your project?”

I raise my eyes from my phone and look at Tyler. His accusing stare looking back at me. “What?”

“Ever since you answered your phone, you’ve had this little smile on your face. And I’m really doubting that it’s about your finance class.” He huffed angrily. “Who is he?”

I glared back at him. Who does he think he is? “What does it matter? And even if I was talking to someone, I don’t have to tell you.”

“We’re friends Aud, we shouldn’t be keeping secrets about stuff like this.”

“Really? Like you're not keeping secrets from me?” I rolled my eyes at him. “How many girls are you texting that you haven’t told me about, hmm?” I asked him. This wasn’t how I wanted to spend my time hanging out with Tyler.

We stared at each other until Marshall barked and went over to paw at the door.

“Yo Ty! Open up man!” We heard Mike Stud yell from the other side of the door. Tyler got up off the couch and opened the door, letting Mike in. “Hey Audi, baby, how are you?” Mike asked as I stood up from the couch.

I smiled at his nickname for me and went to hug him. “I’m doing well Studsy, it’s good to see you.”

“You too, still looking gorgeous as ever.” His pearly whites graced his face. “Has Ty been treating you well since you got here? If not, I can definitely make up for his lack of hospitality.”

I laughed at his shameless flirting and shook my head. “I’m good Studsy, I’m good. Ty’s just being a baby right now.” I whispered the end and we continued on with our small talk until Ty came over with his keys in hand.

“We ready to head out?”

-----------------------

“So does someone wanna tell me why you two aren’t giggly friendly with each other right now?” Mike asked looking between Ty and me. “Cause whatever it is, it needs to stop because this is starting to get weird. I did not third wheel this lunch so I could sit here and awkwardly watch you two...in whatever this is.”

Instead of responding Tyler took a bite of food. I rolled my eyes at him and answered Mike. “We just had a little disagreement about something earlier.” Tyler snorted at the mention of ‘little disagreement’ and continued to stay quiet.

“Alright Audi, what ‘little disagreement’ did you guys have?” Mike asked looking between the two of us. God, I feel like he’s our relationship counselor, except Ty and I aren’t in a relationship. Friendship counselor? Is that a possible thing? Whatever, let’s just go with concerned friend.

Before I could get a word out, Tyler spoke. “She,” He pointed at me, “Is keeping secrets.”

Mike looked at him like he was a small child, which Ty kind of is, minus the small part. “Okay…”

I rolled my eyes, “I didn’t tell Ty that I’m talking to this guy.”

“So I was right!” Tyler exclaimed, “I knew it.”

“So what if I’m talking to a guy? Why does that matter to you?” I crossed my arms.

“Because you should’ve told me!”

“It’s not like we’re dating Ty. And you haven’t kept secrets from me? Secrets about talking to other girls?” Ty opens his mouth but then closes it again. “Exactly, so you can’t exactly attack me about this when you don’t even follow your own little rule.”

“I’m gonna have to agree with Audi on this one man,” Mike shrugged at Tyler. “Sorry man.”

“Whatever.” Tyler responded dejected.

“Well Audi, tell me about this guy. How’d you meet, what’s he like, give me all the details.” Mike batted his eyelashes and did his best ‘Valley girl’ impression.

I laughed at him. “His name is Michael, he’s a guy from my finance class. We got paired up to do a project together and have been talking since. He’s a year older and is doing a double major in finance and mechanical engineering.” Studsy gives me a surprised but approving look. “He’s super smart. Umm, yeah. That’s kind of it.” I felt my cheeks warm up slightly.

“Great name, I like him already. No sports? I think that might be his big flaw.” Studsy joked as he munched on a fry.

“He rows for the school. He also runs but not for the school, just on his own time.”

“He seems like a pretty well-rounded guy Audi, I’m happy for you.”

“We’re just talking Studsy, nothing is serious between us.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Doesn’t matter, he sounds like a good guy.” Tyler grumbled as Mike’s comment. “What do you think Ty?”

My eyes laid on Tyler, waiting to hear what he had to say. I felt myself get nervous and and Mike glanced at me before looking at Tyler.

Tyler pursed his lips. “He sounds like a nice guy.” He said, almost defeatedly. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders, he approved of Michael. Or he at least acted like he did.

-----------------------

“I’m not gonna lie, I totally didn’t approve of Michael.” Tyler tells me as he leans onto my outstretched legs. “I was just saving face in front of Studsy.”

I roll my eyes, “And I thought you were trying to be a good friend.” I stick my tongue out at him. “Admit it, you were a little intimidated by him weren’t you?”

“I’m not going to justify that with an answer.”

I just laugh at his response.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know how I feel about this chapter but its here. With finals drawing closer and the holidays coming up, I'm having a little difficulty finding time for this story but I'm determined to write whenever I have some free time.