Timing Is Everything

Summer Blur

It was the middle of August and I haven’t heard anything from Tyler. There has been no communication between us since the night of the fight. I texted him a few times but never got a response. With every passing week, my hope of him talking to me faded more and more. I was beginning to accept the idea that he was going through with his plan to forget about me.

Mason was the only one in my family that knew about Tyler and my fight. The rest of my family accepted my excuse of “Tyler is busy with hockey and family stuff in Canada.” I threw myself into my summer job and hanging out with my friends to keep him off my mind. None of my friends brought up Tyler when they were around me; they knew that we had a fight, and did their best to make sure I didn’t dwell on it too much.

I was laying on my bed in my room, staring up at my ceiling, my fingers lightly tapping out a beat on my stomach. My summer job as a camp counselor finished yesterday and I struggled to find something to occupy my time. Olivia was away on vacation in Florida with her family. Viv was in Texas for a leadership conference for political science. Chloe had two more weeks working at the summer school near her house. And here I was, lying on my bed, trying to think about anything but how lonely I was feeling.

I heard a ruffling on the side of my bed and turned my head to see my chocolate Lab, Lexi, rolling around on my bedroom floor. She whined from her spots on the floor, begging for my attention.

“Okay, okay. Let’s get out of the house and go for a walk or something.”

------------------------

With one final look at the things in my trunk, I closed the door of my car and sighed.

Dallas.

My new home waited for me. I took in the sights of Boston surrounding me one more time before I had to depart for Dallas. This goodbye is bittersweet. I’ve only been here for a few years but so many memories have happened here. I started my NHL career here, won the Stanley Cup here, and made some amazing friends here. I met Audrey here in Boston.

Audrey.

I haven’t spoken to her since our fight, things haven’t been the same since then. I’ve been busying myself with getting everything together for Dallas, but I still found myself thinking about her. I couldn’t count how many times I wanted to text her but chickened out.

My mom and sisters haven’t questioned why I haven’t mentioned Aud at all this summer. Their focus has been on my move to Dallas and spending as much time with me as possible. But I know they’re curious. I noticed their looks and heard them stop themselves from asking about her many times. I should’ve told them what happened and faced the questions and disapproving looks. But I didn't think I could bring myself to say it out loud. I still don't know if I can. I had it in my head that if no one else knew, then maybe it didn’t really happen. That maybe, I didn’t fuck up one of the best things that has ever happened to me a friendship because of my own selfishness.


------------------------

I was snacking on some popcorn while watching the Lord of the Rings marathon on TNT when the doorbell rang. Lexi, lifted her head off of the armrest and looked at me.

"I wasn't expecting any visitors, let's go see who it is. Come on Lex." I slowly got up off the couch after digging myself out of the blanket nest I had made. The bell rang again, the impatience of the visitor becoming evident.

"Hold your horses, I'm on my way."

I finally got to the door and opened it. I stood there in shock and disbelief as I saw who was at my door.

“Tyler? What are you doing here?”

---------------------

“I should’ve brought flowers or something.” Tyler says. "By the way, this is part 6: Redemption."

"I would've appreciated some chocolate...Or a burger and shake from Five Guys. Ugh! I could totally go for some fries right now! Oh! And a vanilla shake to dip my fries in!"

Tyler just looks at me as he drinks from his cup.

"What? Don't hate me cause you have to 'watch your figure' for the season. You're just jealous."
♠ ♠ ♠
Deepest apologies for the long wait. My laptop crashed and I had to go get it checked out, then they couldn't pinpoint what was wrong so they had to send it out to run more tests. When I got it back, everything was erased so I had to re-upload everything to my laptop and then redo the edits that weren't saved. It's been a rough few weeks.

Here's a filler for now, until I can pull my stuff together and get a real solid chapter(s) completed.