Timing Is Everything

Forgive Me

We stared at each other in silence on my doorstep. I finally broke out of trance and invited him inside. As we neared the living room, I made a beeline for my blanket nest and was quick to toss some blankets to another couch to free up space. And so it didn't look like I was a complete bum moping around. When I turned to face Tyler, I saw that he was occupied with Lexi. She circled him and sniffed him all over, sizing up the stranger that entered her domain. She stopped in front of him and looked up at him. She tilted her head and gave a bark, nudging his hand then licking it affectionately.

I smiled at the sight before me. "What brings you the Jersey?"

"Umm...I was in the area."

"You were just 'in the area?'" I raised an eyebrow. "So you normally just drive around the mythical place that is Central Jersey every now and then and decided to swing by?"

He opened his mouth and then close it quickly. He searched for something to say as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Tyler?" He looked up from the floor and our eyes met. "What are you doing here in Jersey? And why did you come to my house? How did you even find out where I lived?"

He looked down at his hands. “I’m here, I’m here to apologize. I was a dick. Everything I said to you that night of our fight, I didn’t mean it. I just-I freaked out. I didn't mean to lash out at you the way that I did.”

He paused for a moment. “I spent the last few weeks trying to get the courage to talk to you but I figured all the damage I did, a little apology wouldn’t be enough. An in-person apology seemed like the best idea so I had Freddie talk to Olivia and I more or less had to beg Olivia to help me, and well, at least give me your address.” He took a step closer to me. “So here I am, the biggest idiot in the world, ask- no begging for your forgiveness even if I may not completely deserve it.”

I stared at him with eyes wide and my mouth slightly agape. I took a deep breath, “Usually when people beg for forgiveness, they’re on their knees.”

He cracks a smile and bends down to get on his knees in front of me. "Audrey Mele Kalani, will you forgive me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Baby chapter.