Timing Is Everything

Second Wind

“Bye Mr. and Mrs. Kalani!” Tyler waved to my parents.

I grumbled a goodbye to my parents as I suck into the passenger seat of Tyler’s car. Tyler looked over at me and just smiles.

“Cheer up Aud. Just think, we can make up for all the time we missed this summer.”

I sent him a glare. “You’re paying for anything and everything for me on this little trip, no exceptions.” I plugged my phone into the cable in Ty’s car to drown out the sound of his laughter.

----------------

“I can’t believe your parents let you go with me considering our fight.”

“Well it’s not like they knew about the fight. I didn’t tell them about it the summer that it happened, well aside from Mason.” I pause, “I actually don’t know if I ever really told them about it. This may very well be the first time they’re hearing about this fight…”

Tyler looks at me. “What? You mean your dad now has a reason to hate me?” His eyes widen. “I-You-We...Damnit. I was doing so well, so well! And now before the wedding, or well at the wedding since this is the first time people are seeing this, he has a reason to really hate me. I’m a dead man walking, he’ll kill me after the reception.”

He grabs the bottle of Jameson on the table and takes a swig.

I smile at Ty, “I love you...at least you’ll be nicely dressed for your burial.”

He glares at me and my little joke. My smile is as big as the cheshire cat’s.


-----------------

"You would live in an over the top place." I stared at Tyler's place.

"You know what they say: 'Everything is bigger in Texas.'"

I groaned, "Does that mean your ego is gonna get even bigger now that you live here?"

"Ha ha, you're so funny." Tyler sarcastically replied as he put his car into park. "Well let's get started, we don't have all day."

The next few hours were spent lugging all of his 'precious' belongings into his new home. For a guy, he has a lot of stuff. Tyler was pretty impressed with how many heavy things of his I could actually carry. I reminded him that I have 3 brothers, I learned to keep up with them. Once everything was out of his car and in his living room, I sat down on one of his big boxes.

"I say we take a break and grab some food, maybe explore Dallas a little."

Tyler's stomach grumbled at the idea of getting food. "My stomach agrees, let's go. I remember seeing a restaurant not too far away when we were driving over."

The car ride was silent, but it was a comfortable silence. It felt as it did before things went downhill in our friendship. I found it easy to just relax and be with Tyler but I knew I needed to keep a little distance. If he wanted things back to the way they were, it's gonna take more than an apology and an impromptu decision of me joining him on his trip to his new home.

Once we go to the restaurant, we had no trouble grabbing a table. As we went to sit down, I noticed Tyler glance around.

"Is something wrong?"

Tyler looked up from his menu and at me.

"You seem, I don't know, nervous? Are you expecting something to pop out of nowhere?"

He sighed, "No, it's just…I guess I'm used to Boston and being recognized as soon as I walk in a place and now it's like no one knows my existence. It's a bit weird, not being recognized and noticed. But also a bit refreshing. It'll take a little getting used to." He paused. “I’m really happy you came with me Aud, especially after everything that happened this summer. It means a lot, I can’t thank you enough.”

I smiled and placed my hand on top of his on the table. I pulled my hand away just as the waitress came to take our orders.

“So what am I supposed to do while you meet your new team later?” I asked.

“You could always come with.”

“And what linger in the back? I mean I wouldn’t mind hanging out in the stands when you’re on the ice but what about when you have all those meetings behind closed doors?”

Tyler paused. “Good point. We’ll figure that out later, let’s eat.” He smiled.

---------------------

“The next few days were been busy with getting Ty settled and meeting his new teammates, which they totally liked me more than him right off the bat...but that’s neither here nor there.”

“You think you’re cute, huh?”

“I know I’m cute, and you know it too.” I poke his nose. “Now pass me a bottle of something a little sweet! I just got my second wind of energy! Here comes Part 7: Friend Status.”